Author Topic: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa cold tolerance  (Read 2593 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Both of mine were out almost all winter except for one night I brought it in my patio so no frost fell on them. Both are almost 4 years old but one grew faster than the other, the big one had a little leaf burn but protected from wind and frost it stood 32f and was fine, the smaller one in the same conditions died back but came back just recently from the bottom of the stem.

It’s one of those plants you really never want to put threw a test like that for the chance they might not come back but since they stood 39f last year unprotected And were completely fine I figured I would push the limit a bit.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa cold tolerance
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the datapoint.  P. torta is an interesting fruit, I'm glad yours made it  :)  I don't have any data about what altitudes they're native to, but my native range data says "Brazil - Pernambuco, Sergipe and Bahia; Guatemala", so that's a pretty tropical climate. I'm surprised that they can survive even a light freeze.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:45:36 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
If you got the seeds from me they are originally from highlands Guatemala, so a sub tropical, and not surprising it survived. They have a wide range, so there are some that are more tropical. So all depends where you sourced them?
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »
If you got the seeds from me they are originally from highlands Guatemala, so a sub tropical, and not surprising it survived. They have a wide range, so there are some that are more tropical. So all depends where you sourced them?
Yes seeds were from you, that's great they were more cold tolerant, their loving the florida climate   8)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »

Oscar, is P. torta ssp gallifructa a highlands species in general, or does it just have a significant range?  I haven't come across any altitude data on it so far.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »

Oscar, is P. torta ssp gallifructa a highlands species in general, or does it just have a significant range?  I haven't come across any altitude data on it so far.
According to my Guatemalan friend, there it is mostly found in the highlands.This is a yellow fruited type. r But he said there are a few red fruited types growing in lowlands. But it is found in other countries and seems to have a wide climactic range. I'm guessing there are several different races of it.
Oscar

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
Hi

Here in Brazil, I found this species twice, in the cities of Angra dos Reis and Paraty, state of Rio de Janeiro and at sea level, Atlantic forest. At the time I went behind information about a supposed Abiu Rambutan and found the trees, I only managed to collect seeds from the tree of the city of Paraty, because there were fruits at the time, they are doing very well here in Minas Gerais.

I think these trees in northeastern Brazil are also close to sea level. For these states generally have Atlantic forest only on the coastal plain, the rest of their territories, or they are transitional bands, or they are what we call Caatinga, which is a semi arid biome.

Alexandre.

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
Thanks - I wish we could "Like" posts here  :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
Likes were possible before and moderators took that out.
Oscar

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:53 AM »
Oscar, have you ever restocked these seeds?
I believe they are out of stock since forever right?
Or they come and go immediately?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 02:33:17 AM »
Oscar, have you ever restocked these seeds?
I believe they are out of stock since forever right?
Or they come and go immediately?
Haven't had them in a long time.
Oscar