Author Topic: 2018, the year of the airlayer!  (Read 1544 times)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
2018, the year of the airlayer!
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
In the past, I have tried airlayering in a 1/2 arsed way and not surprisingly, failed. So this year, I decided to learn how to airlayer. It is actually not that hard, just takes a little technique. I tried two methods, one where you remove a layer of cambium from around the branch, i used this for larger branches. I also tried cutting underneath the leaf buds, without completely separating, them and placing a wedge (wooden toothpick) between the bud and branch. From there, it is the same for both, paint with hormone, wrap in damp peat, wrap in plastic, tie ends, wrap in foil and write the date on it  Then the hardest part, waiting. . . . Some take a couple weeks, others, 30, 60, 90+ days to form roots.

2019 is going to be year of the chip/T budding.  :)

My yellow fruited muntingia calabura tree, I wanted to propagate but had zero luck with seeds and very little luck with cuttings. I was able to make a bunch of airlayers with a high % of takes.

Macadamia nut

White guava

Olosapo  (Couepia Polyandra)

Uvaria Rufa

Akee (Blighia Sapida)

I'll try a few things next year that looked like they might have worked this year if I'd had more patience.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: 2018, the year of the airlayer!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
Lovely! I need to join you on your bud grafting experimentations in 2019.
-Josh

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
How long did the muntingia air layers take?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Nice work Ethan, the roots look very healthy!

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
Excellent work Ethan, glad you but 200% into you effort which has showed it works and yes, great looking roots.
I imagine the Macadamia must have taken some time to root would be interesting to see your time line for various plants. 8) ;)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »
Good luck Vernmented! I think after a dozen or so bud grafts, it'll be second nature.

Hibachi Drama, there were a few variables but for the muntingia,  I was able to make a 2 week old airlayer survive, though It took longer in after care. 30 days during the heat of summer yielded some crazy roots.

Thank you Simon, it was interesting to see differences in the roots between plants.

Thank you ScottR, I think the mac nut was 60 days? It'll be interesting to see whether they thrive or not in the long term. There were a couple airlayers that I removed impatiently and you could see the callous forming at the wound sight. I'd like to try them again next year and be more patient. I might be able to add a few more species to the list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk