Author Topic: Syzygium cormiflorum  (Read 1206 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Syzygium cormiflorum
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »
Today I bumped into a glorious bumpy satinash tree loaded with fruit all up the trunk down to the ground. Their cauliflory makes jaboticaba blush. I decided to bring a few home as it's been a slow dry season and cut one up for the board. The fruit look great and there is plenty of flesh. The tree in flower and fruit is a real sight to behold - you won't find many better rainforest species. The taste? Well, it's basically almost identical to a mushroom. Almost no crispness you'd normally find in lilli pilli species. A bit flowery. You could probably do something quite good with them and they seem a likely fruit for cooking, but out of hand it's a bit like a floury mushroom.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Syzygium cormiflorum
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »
Big wild trees put on an amazing display and it is a real wildlife smorgasbord when the flowers are open. S.erythrocalyx is similar and perhaps even more striking. From what I recall the fruit are a bit dry and not as sweet as expected and the quality varies between locations. The fruit can have reddish, pink  or purple on a white background.