Author Topic: Went on a planting spree!  (Read 10215 times)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Went on a planting spree!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »
Great work Null...

You have a nice space, and I'm sure those plants are going to fill it out nicely..:) Nice collection!
Has the Goji - Lifeberry flowered/fruited for you yet?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
Great work Null...

You have a nice space, and I'm sure those plants are going to fill it out nicely..:) Nice collection!
Has the Goji - Lifeberry flowered/fruited for you yet?

Goji has not flowered and fruited yet. I believe its going to next season most likely (both were recently bought and were not the largest plants). The leaves have a nice size to them compared to other goji berries I have seen.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
The leaves have a nice size to them compared to other goji berries I have seen.

I noticed that too.
I purchased a Goji -Big lifeberry, and mine is just starting to flower. No fruit yet, but I'm hoping it will fruit soon.. :) I was just hoping someone else had had better luck.

This large one has large delicate leaves, and has a more sprawling/long lanky limb growth pattern. I have it in a tomato cage to help support the long branches. It seems to like it. This one definitely needs to be staked.

The Goji plants, I grew from dried organic berries from the Grocery store, have a stronger structure, a more upright growth with the leaves that are smaller, thicker, and darker green. They look more like miniature olive tree leaves. I just started those this year, so no flowers on them yet. Maybe next summer.. :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:32:45 PM by GreenThumb »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
did the tag on your dream cherimoya say "dream, hybrid cherimoya"?

the rootstock was a given to me as a hybrid cherimoya...so my label might have been confusing.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
did the tag on your dream cherimoya say "dream, hybrid cherimoya"?

the rootstock was a given to me as a hybrid cherimoya...so my label might have been confusing.

Said hybrid on it. Btw, I forgot to see if you had any good grafted loquats  ;D. Maybe next time.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
Well done NZ!  I look fwd to visiting you sometime...a much shorter flight this time!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
Well done NZ!  I look fwd to visiting you sometime...a much shorter flight this time!

Thanks, look forward to having you over sometime. In a few years hopefully the fruit should start rolling in :).

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »
Nullzy

Great collection! You can't go wrong with more mangos in South Florida.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »
Didn't you just move to Florida? Impressive amount of trees planted for such a short time. Jelly palm (never heard it called pindo palm) , Butia capitata, is very widely adapted. Seen it growing and fruiting in Southern California, Florida, and i have a tree here that fruits well here. Yes the amount of pulp is scant, but some of them have a great sweet/sour candy-like taste. A very pretty palm with unusual colored foliage, but slow growing palm.
I'm about to plant some marulas myself (sourced from Carraig). I remember him stating that the nut is by far the tastiest part, but i've yet to taste the nut.
What is Annona tometosa? Should it be tomentosa? Either way never heard of it before.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:10:55 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Didn't you just move to Florida? Impressive amount of trees planted for such a short time. Jelly palm (never heard it called pindo palm) , Butia capitata, is very widely adapted. Seen it growing and fruiting in Southern California, Florida, and i have a tree here that fruits well here. Yes the amount of pulp is scant, but some of them have a great sweet/sour candy-like taste. A very pretty palm with unusual colored foliage, but slow growing palm.
I'm about to plant some marulas myself (sourced from Carraig). I remember him stating that the nut is by far the tastiest part, but i've yet to taste the nut.
What is Annona tometosa? Should it be tomentosa? Either way never heard of it before.

Oscar,

The tomentosa is a seedling I got labeled as dioica.  So I'd probably stick with the name dioica. i think Helton is throwing us off a bit...I think this is the name he gives to dioica.

btw...marula is very easy to grow.   I have a pair of trees that are in 10 gal pots....they rooted into the ground, forming large tap roots.  When I finally moved my trees, the tap roots cracked off in the ground....I was worried the tree would be stressed because its root system was compromised...but the trees didn't skip a beat...they didn't really wilt much...and I kept them in full sun (watering daily as usual). The most surprising thing was the fact that the tap roots, which broke off into the ground, started to grow leaves!  Now I have new marula plants!  So I learned Marula is easy to propagate from root cuttings.  One way to propagate your tree, is to plant a potted specimen on top of another pot of soil...when the tap root makes it's way into the pot underneath your tree, cut the root...and you should have a another rooted  marula in no time.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »
What is Annona tometosa? Should it be tomentosa?
I meant tomentosa, sp. error. Adam is saying its probably dioica now  :o. Anyway its a beautiful tree/shrub foliage wise so far.

With the Marula, I was intending to grow it mainly for its nuts. The fruit was going to be secondary addition. I am hoping I have a male and female. I currently have one more seedling I need to plant in the ground.

The marula I have in the ground got mowed over before. It bounced back and came up from the tap root. Now has 2 primary vertical stems. Now I just need a macadamia tree, and a few others. I think I am done for adding mangoes in atm (until I find and get a pickering)   ;).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:25:36 AM by nullzero »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »
nullzy

I have some really nice 15 gal pickerings and cogshalls if you're interested.

hope to see you again in FL soon!

[q]What is Annona tometosa? Should it be tomentosa?[/q] I meant tomentosa, sp. error. Adam is saying its probably dioica now  :o. Anyway its a beautiful tree/shrub foliage wise so far.

With the Marula, I was intending to grow it mainly for its nuts. The fruit was going to be secondary addition. I am hoping I have a male and female. I currently have one more seedling I need to plant in the ground.

The marula I have in the ground got mowed over before. It bounced back and came up from the tap root. Now has 2 primary vertical stems. Now I just need a macadamia tree, and a few others. I think I am done for adding mangoes in atm (until I find I get a pickering)   ;).
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
Adam, thanks for info on starting marula from root cuttings. That's good to know.
Oscar