Author Topic: What is the crispiest, sweetest jackfruit  (Read 4493 times)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
What is the crispiest, sweetest jackfruit
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
I am growing a j-31 now, have room for one more, Also was wondering if Soursop was worth growing never had the fruit, is it any good? it sure looks cool
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:15:53 PM by FRUITBOXHERO »
Joe

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What is the crispiest, sweetest jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Bangkok Lemon tastes very good and is crunchy.

Soursop is worth growing if you like the fruit. So unless you've had it, no one can really say if its worth growing for you. I don't care that much for the fruit fresh but it tastes really good in shakes and ice creams.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
Most of the soursop here at market are from seed.  Some are decent but I had one that was horrible.  If you are just planting one, be sure to plant a grafted plant of a good variety.

John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
I am growing a j-31 now, have room for one more, Also was wondering if Soursop was worth growing never had the fruit, is it any good? it sure looks cool

I am growing a grafted Bangkok Lemon and a seeding Excalibur Red. I haven't tasted them, but have heard they are really good. Another variety that is said to be great is Mai 1. It is said to have very little latex.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
Deng/Dang Suria/Red Morning (I have seen it spelled both Deng Suria and Dang Suria, not sure which is correct...and for those who don't know, it is also known as Red Morning), Excalibur Red, Mai 1, Mai 3, Bangkok Lemon and Excalibur Gold.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Being biased I would say amber and berry with evidence that J33 and EVIAC sweet are in the same league.I have tried maybe 15 Australian named types,numerous malaysian and thais as well as a few vietnamese varieties before.I have also tasted many un-named varieties.I can only compare to the American types if they are compared to standard common ones like black gold,NSI,bangkok lemon,honey gold etc.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
Being biased I would say amber and berry with evidence that J33 and EVIAC sweet are in the same league.I have tried maybe 15 Australian named types,numerous malaysian and thais as well as a few vietnamese varieties before.I have also tasted many un-named varieties.I can only compare to the American types if they are compared to standard common ones like black gold,NSI,bangkok lemon,honey gold etc.
Mike can't EVIAC or j-33 here in Florida or at least not yet EVIAC sweet is the one I would love to get my hands on!
Joe

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »
I really like ns1, but I guess it's not hip anymore. I bought an ns1 tree 'cause Joseph of JoSan growers said it was the one preferred by his customers. Excellent fruit -- thick, crunchy, and sweet.

Seems to me like the sweetest jacks are chewy though.
Jeff  :-)

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »
Deng/Dang Suria/Red Morning (I have seen it spelled both Deng Suria and Dang Suria, not sure which is correct...and for those who don't know, it is also known as Red Morning), Excalibur Red, Mai 1, Mai 3, Bangkok Lemon and Excalibur Gold.

Deng Suriya

http://fruitlova.blogspot.com/2007/04/when-jackfruit-was-coloured-orange.html
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »
I'm actually wanting to try the opposite. What is the best soft fleshed type? I killed both of my jacks below the graft this winter so I want to Graft a few different types on the shoots coming from the rootstock.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
I am getting pretty curious about that Bangkok lemon jackfruit. I have never heard of it in Thailand. Does anybody know how it is called in Thailand?

Also what is a Excallibur red? Is that a new variety that this nursery made or did they just rename another red jackfruit?

Balinad

• Philippines, Northern Samar, Las Navas
    • View Profile
    • Balinad Farm
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:31 AM »
EVIARC Sweet from Philippines. https://www.facebook.com/EVIARCSWEET/