Author Topic: Went to Excalibur and bought a Wurtz but no mango...  (Read 5776 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Went to Excalibur and bought a Wurtz but no mango...
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
So at the suggestion of several members of this fine forum I went to Excalibur fruit trees in search of mango expertise and for a Wurtz avocado. The Wurtz was easy to find and they had a selection of several trees to choose from. It was neat how when you get there they drive you around on the golf cart since the place is so massive. I plan to plant the tree today in ground and I am hoping it grows up to be a big strong addition to my fruiting back yard. I was looking to buy at least one mango possibly two when I was there but I found the staff that I worked with seem to not be very motivated at all. My associate did answer any questions I could ask but did not seem to go beyond that. I actually left with the avocado tree and went and had lunch nearby and did further research on what to buy and then returned a second time. This place is 2.5 hours away from me so I wanted to maximize my time there. When I returned with a couple questions it was more of the same and wouldn't even look up from a cell phone while asking questions that were answered with one or two word answers. I felt like I was an inconvenience to them. That being said I have learned what the place is and isn't. Do not go there for expertise or advice. Know EXACTLY what you want and show up, pick the tree or trees you want, pay(in cash since they charge a fee to use a credit card) and leave. I will return to buy mango trees when the season is in so I can buy and taste the fruit before I pick a tree but only because their selection is immense and I haven't found a place closer to me(brevard county) that will allow me to try the mangos before I pick a tree. My interaction was only with one associate so maybe I just was unlucky but it was disappointing when I was there to spend money and they didn't want to take it it seemed. In one sentence; Excalibur's facility is absolutely mesmerizing but the staff needs a vacation.

Now to learn how to plant my Wurtz avocado tree. Thanks again to all the advice on which mango to get but I remain undecided as of yet. Leaning toward a Carrie but would love two different varieties that ripened at different times and could be kept at 8 feet  with pruning.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Went to Excalibur and bought a Wurtz but no mango...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
What was the name of the salesman that helped you?

I will speak to the owners.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
I don't remember. She never introduced herself. I will message you some details that may help them uncover who it was. If the experience is supposed to be different then that is good to know. It is an awfully long drive there.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
Wow.  I really wouldn't be that hard on their employees, especially an underpaid female Hispanic nursery worker.  Maybe she doesn't have a lot of confidence speaking English or much knowledge of mango varieties.  I was grateful to her for driving me around and patiently waiting while I examined the trees and made my selections.  Yeah, let them "uncover" who it was.  Maybe fire her, right?  You could have asked to talk to one of the owners, Richard or Linda, if you wanted to pick someone's brain.  The folks on this forum have tried to give you advice on mango varieties.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:55:18 PM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
Since you spent so much time driving and did not come up with much.......
Try to line up your next Excalibur visit for when murahilin or bsbullie will be there. Perhaps early on Saturdays are best for them? You will have to ask them via this forum....the messaging system.
Just a suggestion  :)

If you have certain mango trees in mind you can ask about availability before you go. You could probably phone the owners to find this out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:21:58 PM by zands »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »
What was the name of the salesman that helped you?

I will speak to the owners.

Ha ha... :-)

What's REALLY amazing is the buyer had the restraint to not buy anything else.
Regards,

Gary

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »
What's wrong with expecting good customer service? If anyone feels like they are an inconvenience to staff (including staff with their eyes stuck on their phone) then there may be a problem that needs to be addressed.  I sure wouldn't want disinterested employees working for me. 

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
I've had similar experience except I don't mind it at all. I go to Excalibur with certain species and varieties in mind already and just need them to take me around on golf cart so that I can pick them out. I don't mind if the cart driver is on the phone as at least they are keeping themselves occupied while I look through the plants until they take me to the next species I'm interested in. If I want more detailed information on a species or variety, there's Richard and Linda, the Robs, the Internet, this forum, etc.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:57:20 PM »
I've had similar experience except I don't mind it at all. I go to Excalibur with certain species and varieties in mind already and just need them to take me around on golf cart so that I can pick them out. I don't mind if the cart driver is on the phone as at least they are keeping themselves occupied while I look through the plants until they take me to the next species I'm interested in. If I want more detailed information on a species or variety, there's Richard and Linda, the Robs, the Internet, this forum, etc.
EXACTLY.
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
With the deletion (no additions) of only a few words we have:::
So at the suggestion of several members of this fine forum I went to Excalibur fruit trees in search of mango expertise and for a Wurtz avocado. The Wurtz was easy to find and they had a selection of several trees to choose from. It was neat how when you get there they drive you around on the golf cart since the place is so massive. I plan to plant the tree today in ground and I am hoping it grows up to be a big strong addition to my fruiting back yard. My associate did answer any questions I could ask I actually left with the avocado tree and went and had lunch nearby and did further research on what to buy and then returned a second time. When I returned with a couple questions were answered with one or two word answers.  I will return to buy mango trees when the season is in so I can buy and taste the fruit before I pick a tree but their selection is immense and  will allow me to try the mangos before I pick a tree.  In one sentence; Excalibur's facility is absolutely mesmerizing
It's amazing how you can get a really good review with the deletion of only a few words. Nothing added.
Someone seems efficient and multitasking able with the ability to answer all questions asked quickly.

I've been in many retail establishments like car lots where I wish I could turn the words off the hounding associates.

I have not visited this nursery yet and may eventually have the same or totally different view. We see the world only through our own eyes. 

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »
Perhaps some of you misunderstood what my intentions were with this. I dont expect anything special it's simply that I was told by a half dozen people through comments on threads here and PM's that Excalibur is excellent and that the staff is knowledgeable and everyone has a lot of enthusiasm for their products that works there and that they would be helpful in helping me get what I needed. I was simply sharing that my experience was definitely not that. The employee in question answered all my questions like I said also the selection is mind blowing which I also said but the experience was in no way what everyone here said it would be and for me to spend $40 in gas and 5 hours driving I just hoped that it would be what I was told. No problem I just need to do some more research on my own and know what I am getting ahead of time and maybe wait until I can taste the fruit and then texting while golf cart driving won't matter to me. F anyone knows of a place that can offer this same deal closer to Brevard county please let me know. Thanks again.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
Pictures of the Wurtz ?
Zone 10

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Wow.  I really wouldn't be that hard on their employees, especially an underpaid female Hispanic nursery worker.  Maybe she doesn't have a lot of confidence speaking English or much knowledge of mango varieties.  I was grateful to her for driving me around and patiently waiting while I examined the trees and made my selections.  Yeah, let them "uncover" who it was.  Maybe fire her, right?  You could have asked to talk to one of the owners, Richard or Linda, if you wanted to pick someone's brain.  The folks on this forum have tried to give you advice on mango varieties.

Quite a lot of assumptions there about the employee, her salary, and level of English proficiency.

The owner's do not want their customers treated like that, so they should know when that happens so they may speak to their employees. Anyone running their own business would expect the same.

I've worked there on and off for about 9 years now, and I have always tried to be as helpful as possible, and I think if someone accepts the job as a salesperson they should be held to a certain standard.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
Try to line up your next Excalibur visit for when murahilin or bsbullie will be there. Perhaps early on Saturdays are best for them? You will have to ask them via this forum....the messaging system.

If you have certain mango trees in mind you can ask about availability before you go. You could probably phone the owners to find this out.

BSBullie and I haven't been there in a few months, but I think I'll be there for one or two Saturdays in June, and maybe one or two in July as well.

I can often meet people individually randomly during the week though if I'm not too busy with work. So if anyone would like to buy any trees at Excalibur and have me show them around, shoot me a PM and if I'm available I'll meet you there.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
Perhaps some of you misunderstood what my intentions were with this. I dont expect anything special it's simply that I was told by a half dozen people through comments on threads here and PM's that Excalibur is excellent and that the staff is knowledgeable and everyone has a lot of enthusiasm for their products that works there and that they would be helpful in helping me get what I needed. I was simply sharing that my experience was definitely not that. The employee in question answered all my questions like I said also the selection is mind blowing which I also said but the experience was in no way what everyone here said it would be and for me to spend $40 in gas and 5 hours driving I just hoped that it would be what I was told. No problem I just need to do some more research on my own and know what I am getting ahead of time and maybe wait until I can taste the fruit and then texting while golf cart driving won't matter to me. F anyone knows of a place that can offer this same deal closer to Brevard county please let me know. Thanks again.
I've gone there innumerable times, and I've never found nor expected the staff to have a lot of enthusiasm, but I know what I want I want, and they take me to where it's at and help me get it to my car.  That's about all I've ever expected.  And I'm sorry if I was wrong about the lady being Hispanic, but I've only seen Hispanic ladies working there, and I've always found them to be pleasant.
John

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

If it is ok with you I will send you a message if I go there again when they have ripe mangoes to taste(and buy a pile to bring home!) and hopefully pick out a couple trees to see if you are there or if someone you know is there that you can recommend working with. Like I said before if I can find a place that is closer to me where I can try the mangoes before I buy the tree then I would likely do that but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.
BSBullie and I haven't been there in a few months, but I think I'll be there for one or two Saturdays in June, and maybe one or two in July as well.

I can often meet people individually randomly during the week though if I'm not too busy with work. So if anyone would like to buy any trees at Excalibur and have me show them around, shoot me a PM and if I'm available I'll meet you there.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
I've gone there innumerable times, and I've never found nor expected the staff to have a lot of enthusiasm, but I know what I want I want, and they take me to where it's at and help me get it to my car.  That's about all I've ever expected.  And I'm sorry if I was wrong about the lady being Hispanic, but I've only seen Hispanic ladies working there, and I've always found them to be pleasant.

John like I said I was not trying to get anyone in trouble just sharing my experience. I basically learned that I need to be more prepared when I go there and know exactly what I need before I go or at least have a better game plan. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and experience and you yourself helped quite a bit as well so thank you. 

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
I've always found this forum to be the best source of information.  I don't expect someone who works at a nursery to have the same passion.  It would be a rare thing.  For most I'm sure it's just a job.
John

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
I've always found this forum to be the best source of information.  I don't expect someone who works at a nursery to have the same passion.  It would be a rare thing.  For most I'm sure it's just a job.

John I agree. Thanks again for the help.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Pictures of the Wurtz ?

I have pictures but can't seem to get them on here. I don't remember my photobucket login info so I don't think I'm out of luck.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
Never been to Excalibur, But from My Nursery buying experience I can say that the Following Nurserys where awesome to Deal with .

Greens Nursey : Adam & Jeff are Mad Cool !
Pine Island
Tropical island nursery Merrit island ; JOHN R Mad Cool
Zills : The Lady at the office very friendly so where the workers
Rare Palm trees Homestead: STEVE Stern the Palm tree master !
And a bunch more .

Way on the bottom of the Barrel : Golden Gate Nursery Naples what a wast of my time !.

Ed
Zone 10

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
Thanks!  I will check those out on the web and see if they are closer for me. 

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »
Have always had great experiences at Excalibur, but then again have only gone when BSBullie was available. Have been wanting to go back to get another one or 2 trees, but will probably wait a bit to see if he returns, if not will just hunt them down locally.  Everytime I was shown around by him, always left with 1-3 more trees than I planned lol

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
To get an adequate impression of a nursery, I find it best to visit several times.

Most of the nurseries that I've visited, I would grade them with a grade of Average; when it comes to having a 'Dark Side.' The ones that have a lot, I don't go back to them any more. The ones with slightly above average, I usually like to go in, do my business and get out. There is a certain 'margin' of average darkness, some days there's a bit more, and other days there's a bit less; Human nature I guess. The ones that have less than average, I have a tendency to stay longer, talk, befriend the staff, and thus want to reciprocate by buying more stuff.

BTW, I was at Excalibur Nursery last Saturday and I bought a 'Glenn,' a 'Chusman' and a 'Beverly' mango trees. I asked for the alternating avocado winter warrior variety 'Kampong,' but they didn't have it. I was lucky to get out of work early, but still had to rush to get there before closing time. They are 2 hours away from where I'm at in Miami, FL. When I got there, I was surprised I made it in a 1 hour drive; now that's motivation!

Right before paying for my three fruit trees, the Hispanic female employee indicated that the 'Glenn' had a bad graft ant that it should be replaced! I took a closer look and she was totally right! If it wasn't for that her, I would have left the place with a fruit tree that had a bad graft! I was very impressed by this and I sincerely thanked her. The other employee that drove the cart and had been driving me around to select my trees, took me back to the 'Glenn' mango section to exchange the tree, and there were many good graft 'Glenn' trees to choose from.

I would rate the darkness for that day at less than average; it was a good day and I gave the cart driving employee a tip for all his help.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.