Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940632 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #925 on: November 07, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
Maybe you guys should try some of the top 10 Dragon Fruits from CA's tier list... Cebra ranked number 1 with a brix of about 19 I think.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »
Harvested the last 2 Dark Star of the season this morning.
23 and 20.5 ounces.

DM

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 09, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
Harvested the last 2 Dark Star of the season this morning.
23 and 20.5 ounces.

DM

Wow! Taste report?
Michael

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 10, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
I have a natural mystic ripening on the counter.  Hopefully that will solve your/our problem.  I love the way they look, but need to taste some elite types.  Hoping NM is the first of many good-tasting DFs

I assume you got it from the same place I did last Sunday. I ate one right away and waited on the other until yesterday. Both were totally bland.

I agree.  The color was magnificent, the texture was great, but the flavor just wasn't there.  I will still keep this variety because of teh name (lol) and because of the antioxidants, but it definitely isn't flavorful.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
Hi Richard

In my collection of cuttings of darker red fleshed varieties, I will now have zamorano, cebra/lisa and natural mystic.   I have read that the zamorano vine is a very.vigorous grower.

Can anyone compare the flavor,  vigor of vine growth, and productivity of these varieties?   

I have read that cebra/lisa/rosa  does well in taste tests.  Wondering if natural mystic and Zamorano are of the same caliber. 

Thanks
Brad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:49:07 AM by bradflorida »
Brad

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
I had 2 natural mystics a few wks back.  They were beautiful inside and out, and absolutely tasteless.  The least flavorful DF I have ever eaten.  Having said that, it was only one sampling.  I will probably still grow it just for the color/antioxidants and just add it to smoothies, but I would imagine the others taste better.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #931 on: November 22, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
I had my first Natural Mystic dragon fruit a month or two ago.  The good news, one bloom, one fruit.....no hand pollination.  The fruit was quite good size and beautifully colored.  The flavor was a bit disappointing.  Mine had some sweetness, but not as much as some of the other non-white fruits that I have had.  There was still more flavor/sweetness than in the white fleshed varieties like Vietnamese Jaina.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #932 on: November 23, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
The natural mystics that taste the best are the ones that start to split at the end.  Still not my favorite at this point but good to very good.  Hard to beat the productivity. Got 6 fruit still hanging on a relatively small vine.
Brandon

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 23, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
Which other varieties are the most productive in florida?
Brad

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 24, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
The natural mystics that taste the best are the ones that start to split at the end.  Still not my favorite at this point but good to very good.  Hard to beat the productivity. Got 6 fruit still hanging on a relatively small vine.

You know it's coming:  What are your favorites thus far, Brandon?

~Jeff

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 29, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between "vietnamese white" and "giant vietnamese" varieties? 

Mattslandscape.com lists them as separate varieties. 

I am wondering which variety would be best for cross pollination and production of the greatest amount of pollen. 

Brad
Brad

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #936 on: November 29, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between "vietnamese white" and "giant vietnamese" varieties? 
Mattslandscape.com lists them as separate varieties. 
I am wondering which variety would be best for cross pollination and production of the greatest amount of pollen. 
Brad

They are different 'named' varieties.
Without DNA testing, we do not know if they are different, or the same.
Vietnamese Giant is considered good for cross pollination.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 29, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
Vietnamese Giant is considered good for cross pollination.

After reading mattslandscape.com Full Description, Vietnamese White sounds like a very good pollinator.
http://mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant_name=Vietnamese%20White

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 29, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »
Thanks for checking into that Richard.   

Then I will plant one vietnamese giant and one vietnam white. 
Brad

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 05, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »
The sweetest, best tasting Dragon Fruit has possibly been found.

A recent posting by TT:

"4953 Selenicereus megalanthus var. Sunshine - Golden Pitaya, Dragon Fruit
Super sweet variety of Yellow Pitaya that we brought from Ecuador in 2013. This cactus originates from Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru and Columbia. It's greatly known for it's sweet tasting fruit. Knobbed, yellow cactus fruit sharing some similarities with the Hylocereus dragon fruit (pitaya). Taste is said to be superior to most cactus fruits. The fruits are smaller than the common dragon fruit, and contain prominent spikes until ripening time, upon which the spikes drop off.
See picture of the bushy plants for sale"

As mentioned above and from the posted picture of the fruit and plant on their website, the plant is yellow on the outside and white on the inside. The fruit size is on the smallish side. There is no mention of the productivity.

The plant has plenty of somewhat small-mid sized thorns on it (and on the fruit), which make handling it tedious. This begs the question: For this type of thorny DF, is using a wood pole the best method for growing this DF variety? Or would other methods, like growing it on rocks, yield better results and better means of avoiding the thorns when handling plant.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:17:26 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 05, 2014, 01:47:53 AM »
First,  you can't  always believe  what you read on TTs website.

Now, as to the golden pitaya, this is available at Excalibur.  Most likely, TT got this from Excalibur,  either  directly or indirectly.  The fruit is sweeter than most or all commonly available dragon fruit however it is by no means SWEET like other commonly available tropical fruit.

The spines on the plant are short and stiff.  It will rip your skin if you aren't careful and rub against it.  It will also stick your hands  or arm id you arent careful when handling the plant or picking fruit.  The  spines on the fruit are longer and more flexible however they are easily removed with a paint brush.   When the fruit is ripe and ready to pick, you can use the paint  brush to literally brush the spines clean from the fruit.  The fruit is then easy to harvest.

The fruit size is small and there is not much t edible  flesh in each fruit.  It does seem to have decent  production.

With that being said, it is my wife's favorite dragon fruit.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 05, 2014, 02:21:06 AM »
Maybe you guys should try some of the top 10 Dragon Fruits from CA's tier list... Cebra ranked number 1 with a brix of about 19 I think.

Cebra is the 2nd from left.

I will let you know which one i like the best. :P

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »
The "Yellow Dragon Fruit" (Selenicereus megalanthus) is well known in Southern California by Dragon Fruit growers.

It has its "pros and cons". The biggest "pro" is its taste and BRIX scores. The biggest "con" IMO, is the thorns on the fruit.

The UCCE Irvine, CA has it in their collection and it is under observation.  BTW: It is the worst performer under their growing conditions.

The above are from Ramiro Lobo's 2013 PowerPoint presentation.

"Cebra" is not number "1" on taste or BRIX scores, it is listed as "1" on the UCCE Irvine Field Results Excel sheet.

Edit:  I am sorry, I should have mentioned that the above is from UCCE San Diego County.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:49:01 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 05, 2014, 02:51:06 AM »
This begs the question: For this type of thorny DF, is using a wood pole the best method for growing this DF variety? Or would other methods, like growing it on rocks, yield better results and better means of avoiding the thorns when handling plant.

The "Yellow Dragon Fruit" (Colombian Pitahaya) is pretty much grown by most people like other DF varieties.

I finally broke down and got a cutting of the Yellow DF and its hybrid Frankie's Red.

I plan to try growing the Yellow DF in a big hanging basket like an epi.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 05, 2014, 03:34:00 AM »
Ricshaw how do we read that info?

Heat tolerance for example is that specific for California or Florida? It would be easyier if they just mentioned the recommended temperatures. Same for cold hardiness or how much sun they like to get.

Cebra has heat tolerance of 3.5
I have no idea if i can put this one in full sun or better find another spot.

I think i will first clone them and then use the trial and error way of finding the best spot for each one.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 05, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
Ricshaw how do we read that info?

Heat tolerance for example is that specific for California or Florida? It would be easyier if they just mentioned the recommended temperatures. Same for cold hardiness or how much sun they like to get.

I think i will first clone them and then use the trial and error way of finding the best spot for each one.

The University's Pitahaya crop trail grant is a study for a potential alternative crop for San Diego County California farmers nothing else.

The field results posted above are for the 20 varieties grown (in the ground) in Irvine, California.

The information can be helpful to growers in other parts of the world. I think the recent DNA testing (not in the chart) on the 20 varieties in the UC collection is especially helpful.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:31:03 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

It should be noted that of the 20 Pitahaya (Dragon Fruit) varieties in the UC collection, 10 are varieties obtained by the University from growers outside of the United States.

(SD) = San Diego, California
(FL) = Florida
(Nic) = Nicaragua
(Mex) = Mexico
(Col) = Colombia

Several of the names varieties were first obtained by hobbyist growers from cuttings given away by the University at Pitahaya Festivals.

"El Grullo" is the most recent variety and some growers are waiting patiently for cuttings.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:28:47 PM by ricshaw »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 05, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
Any idea on what variety this may be? It seems like its a renamed Edgar selection of Condor? http://www.rareseeds.com/edgar-s-baby-dragon-fruit-pre-order/?F_Keyword=dragon
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 05, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
Any idea on what variety this may be? It seems like its a renamed Edgar selection of Condor? http://www.rareseeds.com/edgar-s-baby-dragon-fruit-pre-order/?F_Keyword=dragon

No, I think it is the "Edgar" variety, Edgar named after himself.

I had never heard of it until recently when Edgar gave me a cutting.

I found it listed on the "Pitaya Festival 2008 Testing Results".
I also recently was given, by Leo Manuel, a "Neon" cutting which is on the 2008 Pitaya Festval tasting results.

I do not remember where I found the above...  maybe off Edgar's website.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 05, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »

I can tell you it has been my (limited) experience, in general, most Dragon Fruit grown up vertically prefer shade or some shade on the lower stalk and full sun or more sun on the top branching fruiting canopy. Which makes sense the way it grows in the wild.