Author Topic: Mexicola avocados for sale  (Read 4062 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Mexicola avocados for sale
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
Hi everyone.
As usual, in this time of the year i look for the new planting for my garden. Avocado is my objective now.
As much i have been searching in Europe, i haven't been able to find a genuine Mexicola avocado. Part of the problem is that for some mistake, in Europe "Mexicola" is used as the generic name of mexican race avocado, so I get several nurseries that sell mexicola avocados but often they reveals themselves to be just seed grown mexican race avocados. But i want a true, grafted, mexicola avocado.
So, it there anyone here knowing about a nursery selling the true grafted Mexicola avocado, and willing to ship oversea with the necessary documentation?
It's a long shot, i know, but for real, i have been searching for that plant for the last 6-8 years.
Thank you.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicola avocados for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:25 AM »
Hi everyone.
As usual, in this time of the year i look for the new planting for my garden. Avocado is my objective now.
As much i have been searching in Europe, i haven't been able to find a genuine Mexicola avocado. Part of the problem is that for some mistake, in Europe "Mexicola" is used as the generic name of mexican race avocado, so I get several nurseries that sell mexicola avocados but often they reveals themselves to be just seed grown mexican race avocados. But i want a true, grafted, mexicola avocado.
So, it there anyone here knowing about a nursery selling the true grafted Mexicola avocado, and willing to ship oversea with the necessary documentation?
It's a long shot, i know, but for real, i have been searching for that plant for the last 6-8 years.
Thank you.

Stewart is a much better choice.  I'd start with a contact here:

Mail order is expensive here in America, mailing state to state.   Don't you have an ag dept. you can contact there?

Regarding shipping costs I consider getting some scions, sticks from somebody and grafting to your own rootstock while it's still cool, maybe March.  That's what I did with all my avocado trees.  Have used avocado sticks that were stored for 6 weeks in the fridge with good takes.

Look at Stewart:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s46Wp0xUMscCvQ2wn78aeAFhhXIUpNB7/view

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
I will send you mexicola or stewart scions.  Getting a grafted tree is going to be a long shot.
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »
Pancrazio lives in Florence, Italy.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
I have sent a few people scions to europe
Brad Spaugh

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
Thank you for your kind offer.
Also Mark thank you for your addresses and pdf.
It's an interesting list of plants. Personally, i not always find easy to understand the fruit that ripens before winter and those which need to overwinter on the tree. The latter i think is not feasible in my place. Mexicola is attractive for me also for the reason that i can really hope to harvest the fruits before cold weather damages them.
Moreover, Mexicola is the only one for which i have been able to find consistent and reliable scientific paper detailing its cold hardiness. For other cultivars cold hardiness is more an anecdotal matter. But not gonna lie, sure Stewart is interesting.

Mark what is the paper you included? A nursery or a research facility? Do they ship outisde US?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:31:31 PM by Pancrazio »
Italian fruit forum

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 01:53:06 AM »
Pancrazio, I have a 25ft Mexicola in my front yard. If you would like seeds from the tree mailed to you i could do that...unfortunately it ripens in November or so. You could get my seeds and overwinter them in tall grow pots and plant them in the Spring. Hit me up if you would like some. My tree is near a busy sidewalk and is usually picked clean of any low hanging fruit, so I would have to get the fruit picker out. Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
Mark what is the paper you included? A nursery or a research facility? Do they ship outisde US?

That's a letter showing what was packed.  Dr. Mary Lou Arpaia is a world class U.C.R. fruit developer with a specialty in avocados, breeding for improved varieties.  She is in charge of the extensive U. of California avocado museum or collection along with her curator Julie Frink.  She works with commercial farms across the world like S. Africa, Australia, Israel, etc.  She may be a good source for connections in Spain or may be able to mail you scions.  Kicker is postage.  I hit the ceiling when by surprise they mailed me an overnight FedX package of scions at a cost of near $100 U.S.D.  Shipping is gonna be a stickler, scions are free.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
Hi everyone.
Thank you.

Pancrazio did you check Viveros Blanco in Spain?

http://www.viverosblanco.com/it/portainnesto

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Hi everyone.
Thank you.

José i think they don't sell just few trees, just large quantities...

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
Hi everyone.
Thank you.

José i think they don't sell just few trees, just large quantities...

They do, I bought many of my trees there (paying one € extra each), just not shipping option (it's a professional nursery), you must buy in their facilities.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
Pancrazio, I have a 25ft Mexicola in my front yard. If you would like seeds from the tree mailed to you i could do that...unfortunately it ripens in November or so. You could get my seeds and overwinter them in tall grow pots and plant them in the Spring. Hit me up if you would like some. My tree is near a busy sidewalk and is usually picked clean of any low hanging fruit, so I would have to get the fruit picker out. Chris

Thank you very much for your kind offer. This forum always prove itself filled with helpful people.

That's a letter showing what was packed.  Dr. Mary Lou Arpaia is a world class U.C.R. fruit developer with a specialty in avocados, breeding for improved varieties.  She is in charge of the extensive U. of California avocado museum or collection along with her curator Julie Frink.  She works with commercial farms across the world like S. Africa, Australia, Israel, etc.  She may be a good source for connections in Spain or may be able to mail you scions.  Kicker is postage.  I hit the ceiling when by surprise they mailed me an overnight FedX package of scions at a cost of near $100 U.S.D.  Shipping is gonna be a stickler, scions are free.

Thank you very much, I'll try to write her. Firstly, I will ask to my local university if they may be interested in backing me up. Maybe with some official role the chance for a positive answer will increase. Yes, i know that shipping overseas, can get pretty expensive especially if done as express package. I won't forget when some years ago i have been asked for 600€ for the shipping of 4 plants (i didn't bought them BTW  ;D ). Well i guess that fruit growing is a pretty cheap hobby but it has its expensive moments.

Thank you for your suggestion Jose. Yes, of course i tried. As I tried with Canarius, Aguacate vivai, Frutales tropicale, pepiniere du bosc, and so on. Well, the fact that they don't ship is a big issue, as you imagine since they are thousands of km from me. But even if they are able to ship i won't place an order because as you see and it's clearly stated in their page that they mexicola plants are seed grown. They aren't Mexicola; they are, at best Mexicola's seedlings. But here's the catch: I suspect that by the term "mexicola" they refer just to a mexican race avocado. I talked about that with Solko in one of my previous attempt to locate a source for that plant in the eu and we both agreed on that. So at this point before doing a big effort to get a plant from spain and not being sure that it is actually a mixicola, i prefer to do a relatively smaller effort and try to get a plant for US and be actually sure of its cultivar.
After that hopefully i can become a source of scions for people in the eu.
Italian fruit forum

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:27:58 AM »
STEWART   Orig.in Mentone, San Bernardino County, CA, on the Stewart Ranch. Introd. in 1956; first propagated for trial at the CA Citrus Res.Center,Riverside, in 1952. Chance seedling possibly of Mexicola; Mex. type. Fruit:medium,6-10 oz; pyriform; skin green, but at maturity a rich dark purple, slightly rough, raised lenticels sparse near base but very numerous at apex, corkiness none to very slight, texture soft- leathery, excellent peeling quality; flesh clear, bright, light yellow shading to green toward skin; firm, but melting; excellent quality; ripens from early Oct. to mid-Dec.; oil content about 8% by first of Oct. to about 16% in mid-Nov. Tree: spreading; strong; vigorous; bears good crops. Commercial cultivar in south Africa. (B&O Register) 2 trees are growing at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA., field 44, row 10, trees 13&14. These bear well each year, quite fiberous some years, pretty flesh, tasty, small seed. Our observations show the flowers to be B type which does not agree with data from more expert people than we are. For more information see p.90 CAS Yearbook 1963. (J.R.Frink 1998) Origin, CA; Race, Mex.; Flower, A (Lahav & Gazit)

• USA
    • View Profile
avocado budwood
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »
I am interested in buying budwood or small avocado trees variety Beneke, if you have available please contact me at armando5564@hotmail.com