Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283580 times)

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »
Not sure where you got that Bailey's Marvel, nor what may have happened to it in the developmental stages, but a fully ripe Bailey's Marvel...at least the ones that I have had, do not have any of the negative characteristics you describe.  It is a really richly flavored, generally fiberless, delicious mango which has an overall eating experience that I would classify as no less than excellent.

Like most of the mangos I have, this one was grown on Merritt Island.  Perhaps this variety suffers with heavy rainfall.  I know theyve got a bunch up there. I found it to be a bit watery and maybe the flavor got diluted some.   There was no chalkiness due to starches though, so I'm sure this one was fully ripe.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »

Here's "Purple Turp." This is another pretty uncommon (even rare?) variety developed on Merritt Island. I think it might be an Ensey creation because that's where I got it.

Anyways, I was quite put off by the name, figuring it would taste like chewing on a pine tree.  I was quite wrong, however.  It was sweet, nearly fiberless, and actually pretty enjoyable.  Theres not much in the way of complex flavor here, just a mild straight mango taste.  I wouldn't describe it as fantastic but it was pretty darn good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:19:19 PM by Slopfog »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
Here is a wise mango that I bought from Excalibur:

I don't know what happened here, so much that I had to eat a Carrie immediately after, but this wise mango was very strange and I'm still confused. Feeling out this mango it had plenty of give to it and even had spots were the skin was wrinkling and I wondered to myself how I ever let this get overripe? The outside was green with some light yellowing mixed in which was most evident at the top. When I started to cut into this mango my knife just sank into the skin as if trying to cut rubber. When I cut the top off I noticed there was hardly any smell even with my nose practically on the mango trying to find something. Next I halved the mango and to my surprise is was devoid of juice and the flesh was rubbery. Another thing i noticed was that the rind was noticeably thicker. When I started to eat this it was a struggle for my spoon to scoop out the rubbery flesh, which had a sort of mild pineapple flavor to it. There was no fibers present but it was hard to get past the rubbery texture and after three bites i threw it in the trash. I don't think I can judge this cultivar based off this mango, this has to be some fluke! Based on my experience I am hypothesizing that due to the unusually thick rind there might be some special method necessary to ripen this, camel dung maybe!?!? Who else has had a wise mango experience?

-JoeP450

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:33 PM »
Here is a wise mango that I bought from Excalibur:

I don't know what happened here, so much that I had to eat a Carrie immediately after, but this wise mango was very strange and I'm still confused. Feeling out this mango it had plenty of give to it and even had spots were the skin was wrinkling and I wondered to myself how I ever let this get overripe? The outside was green with some light yellowing mixed in which was most evident at the top. When I started to cut into this mango my knife just sank into the skin as if trying to cut rubber. When I cut the top off I noticed there was hardly any smell even with my nose practically on the mango trying to find something. Next I halved the mango and to my surprise is was devoid of juice and the flesh was rubbery. Another thing i noticed was that the rind was noticeably thicker. When I started to eat this it was a struggle for my spoon to scoop out the rubbery flesh, which had a sort of mild pineapple flavor to it. There was no fibers present but it was hard to get past the rubbery texture and after three bites i threw it in the trash. I don't think I can judge this cultivar based off this mango, this has to be some fluke! Based on my experience I am hypothesizing that due to the unusually thick rind there might be some special method necessary to ripen this, camel dung maybe!?!? Who else has had a wise mango experience?

-JoeP450

Appears to have been picked too early.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
Here is a Carrie that I bought from truly tropical:

I am a big fan of Carrie and I know most people have had it but here is my review. Usually I eat carries a little bit greener mostly because I just can't wait to eat them and because they can get more juicy the longer they are allowed to ripen. This carrie above at just over 4 inches long was a yellow gold with some green splotches mixed in and felt pretty soft and ready to eat. When I cut the top off I could immediately smell it's piney aroma similar of when you first open an orange you get hit with the bitter sweet smell of the peel. I next halved the mango which displayed a bright orange juicy fiberless flesh. Of note, of the carries I have had most have soft nose even though they are not so pointed I believe this is a side effect of really soft flesh. The flavor is very interesting in that as you eat it sort of changes shape from sweet mango with subacid citrus to an edge of piney-resinous aftertaste the closer you get to the skin. A delicious mango in my opinion. Yum.

-joep450

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
Here is Tyler, another Merritt Island variety developed by the Enseys.

It's a small mango, but this guy packs a punch!  It has a bit of fiber near the pit but not objectionable.  It's got dark orange flesh, and has a very intense sweetness that's countered nicely by a lot of acid.  It honestly tastes like fresh squeezed mango orange juice.  Some say VP has citrus flavors, but no... Tyler has serious citrus flavor.   I let one get a little overripe, and it developed almost a carbonated flavor that reminded me of orange soda... Never experienced that before!

Not that I've tasted a ton of mangoes, but this is one of my favorites ever.  I believe it's grown only at Ensey Tropical Fruit Co. And there are only a couple trees in existence.  Supposedly not even in the USDA repository.

Well that's a real shame, because I really think this is a fantastic mango!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
Wow slopfog, I too have experienced the carbonated effect before once when I first tried a Valencia pride not sure how it is caused, but I remembered I was put off by it. I called ensey's today and spoke to Angie. I wanted to get the low-down because I'm gonna make the drive up on Thursday to try some of these unique mangos. I am intrigued by the royal purple and accounts of it having a grape flavor, I think this is just because it looks like a giant grape but ill probably cut up the mango and have my wife sample it and see if she deduces any grape flavor without looking at the skin first. That tyler mango looks delicious dude! Can't wait to check out ensey's. And she did mention to me that they don't propagate their "proprietary" cultivars so might wanna throw that seed n the ground.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
Val-Carrie -

This is a VERY good mango...  supposedly a hybrid of Valencia Pride & Carrie.

Each bite sings with a smooth, creamy, rich, deep tropical sweetness. Pleasing notes of cantaloupe, apricot, honey and orange soda abound in the center, and as you eat closer to either the skin or the pit -  you get the distinct jasmine / resinous taste found in the outer orbits of the Carrie. The mellowness of the VP balances out the more intense flavors of the Carrie. Flesh is firmer than the Carrie... no noticeable fiber.  Rating: A+
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:48:17 AM by BrettBorders »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
I'm highly fond of the val-carrie. Not sure why it's not more widely planted.
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
@joep450

I am also voting Carrie. My tree is producing many delicious fruits this year. I like the pine taste in Carrie.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
carrie is having a banner year. i adore the carrie mango.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
Jeff gave me a few carries the other day and I have to say they were jaw droppingly amazing.  I am praying that some of the budwood he gave me takes. 
George

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
carrie is having a banner year. i adore the carrie mango.
I was at Jeff's last week and enjoyed a carrie with him.... all i can say is OMG was that a good mango!..... Thanks Jeff
Joe

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
hahaha I'm really glad that both of you got to try the carrie at its flavor peak. You'll talk to a number of people who say that they don't like the carrie, yet I'd be willing to bet that they simply haven't had the carrie at the proper stage of ripeness. The carrie can go from excellent to gross in just a couple of days (although some folks, like my dear wife, enjoy it best at the 'gross' stage :-).

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
hahaha I'm really glad that both of you got to try the carrie at its flavor peak. You'll talk to a number of people who say that they don't like the carrie, yet I'd be willing to bet that they simply haven't had the carrie at the proper stage of ripeness. The carrie can go from excellent to gross in just a couple of days (although some folks, like my dear wife, enjoy it best at the 'gross' stage :-).

Same as you they are at the peak on my tree--
Dropping off daily...
This is a very busy Carrie season with two distinct blooms as in 15 fruits from the first bloom and 50-60 from the second bloom
I planted my tree in 2008 and it said nothing until this year when it produced like crazy   (actually I got 2 mangoes off it in 2011)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:40:21 PM by zands »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Here is a nam doc mai from truly tropical: of note when I picked this there was plenty more green on the tree and should be coming due soon.

I have had nam doc mai three times before and each time it is slightly different but here goes. The fruit was ripe with a slight tinge of green mixed in with yellow and had a slight rotten spot at the top. It weighed in at 343g and was 5.75in long. There was not much of a smell to the outside of the mango. When I cut into it there was a slight pleasant smell but nothing strong. The flesh was a yellow-orange, fiberless, very smooth almost gelatinous, not watery but moist. The seed was paper thin and long and the mango had nice flesh to seed ratio about the perfect single serving size, I did not feel like i wanted more or ate more than i wanted. The taste was good started off sweet syrupy with a slight funky aftertaste almost like overripe banana. Overall a good mango and I have heard that there are multiple strains of nam doc Mai ex nam doc Mai #4. I wonder if these all differ slightly in taste? During mango mania, I tasted the nam doc Mai from the fruit and spice park and it had almost a vanilla spice aftertaste, i liked it better than this one, cultivation methods maybe? probably a whole nother topic for another thread.

-JoeP450

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
I might have eaten it a couple of days earlier when it has a more noticeable tart to it. NDM has 3 different stages at which it can be eaten and 3 flavor profiles (mature green, slightly underripe, and ripe). It also looks like it might have had a touch of jelly seed, which can be a problem with the NDM if it doesn't get enough calcium.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2013, 01:16:28 AM »
Here is a Tyler mango I picked up from ensy's in Merritt island:

I guess "Tyler" must have really liked orange soda in his day because everything about this mango was one dimensional in your face orange soda. This mango had a very pretty red blush that faded into orange and was dotted with white spots with an oval shape. It was soft to the touch and the outer skin smelt strongly of orange soda. The mango was about 4.5 in long and weighed 378g.  I cut open the mango and it revealed a deep orange flesh that was loaded with juice.  It was not easy scooping out the flesh with a spoon because there was a good amount of fiber. The taste was very sweet and tasted like a jarritos orange soda even having a slight bubbly carbonated feeling on the tongue, much like how slopfog described it. I also opened the seed which looked like a monoembryonic seed. I find it interesting the differences in color between the two Tyler's now described.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
During the lecture at mango madness Chris Rollins said that people used to enjoy the turpentine mango by softening the mango into liquid inside the skin then biting a hole in the side and sucking the juice out. Since I had one last Tyler mango left I decided to give this crazy technique a shot. The Tyler mango is a great candidate for this because it is juicy, has much fiber, and the juice tastes amazingly good, similar to orange soda. I started by using my thumbs to forcefully press into the mango and rotate around thus liquefying the inside. Next with a knife I cut a slit in the side of the mango and then sucked the deliscious juice out. This is now my preferred method to enjoy the Tyler mango. If you happen to be by ensy's pick up two Tyler's and see which way you prefer. Below is the deflated Tyler mango, ; )

-joep450

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
During the lecture at mango madness Chris Rollins said that people used to enjoy the turpentine mango by softening the mango into liquid inside the skin then biting a hole in the side and sucking the juice out. Since I had one last Tyler mango left I decided to give this crazy technique a shot. The Tyler mango is a great candidate for this because it is juicy, has much fiber, and the juice tastes amazingly good, similar to orange soda. I started by using my thumbs to forcefully press into the mango and rotate around thus liquefying the inside. Next with a knife I cut a slit in the side of the mango and then sucked the deliscious juice out. This is now my preferred method to enjoy the Tyler mango. If you happen to be by ensy's pick up two Tyler's and see which way you prefer. Below is the deflated Tyler mango, ; )

-joep450

My husband would look like blowfish shortly after eating a mango with that method! He is fairly sensitive to mango skin.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2013, 10:54:31 PM »
 ;D

Looking forward to "Mangos of the Solar System" for next year's festival.

In the spirit of sharing reviews, I tasted Young for the first time a day or two ago.

It is a decent looking mango with a subtle flavor, reminiscent of mango.  I'm not angry at myself for replacing my baby Young tree with a Coconut Cream, though I have yet to taste CC.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »
Fiber? Now, to me, that is just no longer acceptable, and it's just too bad, for it's a gigantic, beautiful tree.

Here is a Valencia Pride I just ate:

This Valencia Pride was just about 6in long and from others I have seen this is on the smaller size for "VP". The array of colors on this fruit is very pretty. The seed is thin and long and there is a high amount of flesh to seed. The flesh is yellow and has some fiber. The taste reminded me of a bland nectarine.

-joep450

That thin seed, from the 'OKPT' mango, looks awesome, and so does the description of the fruit.

Here is a mango I bought from Excalibur called "OKPT" last week. When I picked up this interesting mango I asked the Latino gal behind the counter what "OKPT" stood for and she said she wasn't sure and it was mis labeled so let the guessing games begin?!?! Could this be okrung pi tong?...it is definitely from the orient.

So where do I begin, I loved this mango. It is long at just over 7in and had a hefty weight to it, great length as well as width. This was ripe with yellow skin and brown spots. The flesh was light yellow, fiberless, and seemed like it was on its way to jelly seed the closer to the seed you ate. The flesh to seed ratio was incredible lots of delish mango to eat. The seed is the longest mango seed I have yet see at just over 6in and was very thin. The taste was very different from your tropical peach pineapple or pungent indian "funk" flavor, it was to me the flavor of banana and sugar cane combined. I am going to grow the seed from this mango just incase our paths never meet again.

-joep450

What about the thickness (or thinness) of the seed (of the 'TBK' mango)?
Here is a mango I got from Excalibur that had "TBK" written on it. The lady behind the counter said this was tog bi con, yet I was under the impression tog bi con was an Asian cultivar looking similar to ivory from an earlier Harry post. Bottom line is I can't find any info on "tog bi con" and so I have another mystery mango to review without the "peach buttercream nirvana" name bias.

This mango was almost 5in long and weighed 517g. The mango was ripe yellow with some slight green areas and slight pink blush on the top (hard to see in picture). It is more of a wide mango being just slightly longer than it is wide. When I cut the mango open it was absent of any strong delightful smell, but was was perfectly ripe absent of any soft spots on the beak with no bruising elsewhere. The flesh was a yellow orange, and completely fiberless. I had a difficult time evaluating the taste of this mango.  Its greatest feature was the large quantity of silky smooth fiberless flesh and then it was sweet. If i could try and relate it to another mango i would say the alphonso mango, which most people find as a delicious mango and what i think is a great all around mango that most people enjoy; this is partly because it is balanced and doesn't sway in any one direction taste wise yet it is sweet and has delicious texture. Overall this mango was great eating mango.

-joep450

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:33:25 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
Fiber? Now, to me, that it's just no longer acceptable, and it's just too bad, for it's a gigantice, beautiful tree.

Here is a Valencia Pride I just ate:

This Valencia Pride was just about 6in long and from others I have seen this is on the smaller size for "VP". The array of colors on this fruit is very pretty. The seed is thin and long and there is a high amount of flesh to seed. The flesh is yellow and has some fiber. The taste reminded me of a bland nectarine.

-joep450

"Bland nectarine" is an excellent description of VP.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
Thank you for that description Katie of the Valencia Pride, appreciations galore.

I would also like to second that great description of Carrie mango.
Here is a Carrie that I bought from truly tropical:

I am a big fan of Carrie and I know most people have had it but here is my review. Usually I eat carries a little bit greener mostly because I just can't wait to eat them and because they can get more juicy the longer they are allowed to ripen. This carrie above at just over 4 inches long was a yellow gold with some green splotches mixed in and felt pretty soft and ready to eat. When I cut the top off I could immediately smell it's piney aroma similar of when you first open an orange you get hit with the bitter sweet smell of the peel. I next halved the mango which displayed a bright orange juicy fiberless flesh. Of note, of the carries I have had most have soft nose even though they are not so pointed I believe this is a side effect of really soft flesh. The flavor is very interesting in that as you eat it sort of changes shape from sweet mango with subacid citrus to an edge of piney-resinous aftertaste the closer you get to the skin. A delicious mango in my opinion. Yum.

-joep450

'Young' (Tebow) mango review
Medium size mango. It changes to a yellowish color when it's ready to pick. It's completly fiberless, and has a very thin seed. This is a dessert mango. If what they mean by dessert, is that you can slice each side of the mango, and then scoop the flesh/meat out with a spoon, then this is it; perfect mango so far. Now, the flavor, let me put it this way, it doesn't reach the caliber taste of an Edward or Alphonso mango. Nevertheless, it's sweet and tasty. When I'm done eating one, I always want more. I have a producing tree in my yard, and every year I can't wait to eat its fruit. That tree is a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:41:03 AM by LEOOEL »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
Here is a mango called ice cream which I purchased from truly tropical:

The first time I went to truly tropical I could not help my wandering eyes as I scanned up and down the rows of 50+ kinds of mangos trees my eyes would center on one peculiar tree. You know it's a mango but it stands out amongst the rest, this is the ice cream mango "IC". In the above picture, I have on the upper left a picture of the leaves of my coconut cream in comparison to the thin dark leaves of the IC. And below those you can see the full tree with its compact canopy.

The IC mangos shape when laying flat is similar to the side profile of the human skull, it has a lobed backside and then a jawline that dips down. This mango weighed 395g, was about 3.5in long and was ripe with a light yellow with some green patches. It had a slight sweet pine aroma to the outside skin. When I cut open the mango it revealed to my surprise a whitish yellow flesh. The flesh had some juice to it but was not at all watery instead the texture was smooth and had a creamy thickness that you could just savor with every bite. The seed was short and thick and i would say the flesh to seed ratio was good, it is also a monoembryonic seed. The taste was interesting because you are focused on the mouth feel and at the same time you are tasting a lemony sweetness that fades into a resinous aftertaste. After I ate this one I ate another, and after that I wanted another but I Have no more left! Definitely enjoyed eating this mango and plan to add this cultivar to my grow list.

-JoeP450