Author Topic: Tripod Ladder  (Read 3226 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Tripod Ladder
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Does anyone know where is a good place to buy this stay of ladder?  Obviously tall enough to be used in a grove with mature trees. Preferably in the Miami area.

Thanks

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod Ladder
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
your local Grainger can order it. They aren't cheap.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
I had a 16 foot tall tripod ladder. But when I nearly fell from it, my wife forced me to sell it. They are a bit unstable. Now I have a 24 foot extension ladder, which is considerably more stable (and cheaper to boot!). Simply prop the ladder against the trunk or a thick branch.
Jeff  :-)

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »
There is a Japanese company that makes some very nice ones however they are rather expensive but the taller ones have a platform at the top they seem really nice

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »
Mine was a Tallman tripod orchard ladder. It was $400, which was a bargain (I think regular price was $600 with shipping). But, I would not order one again -- except perhaps a 10 footer or less. Too unstable.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »
I have a 12 foot Tallman that I got on Craigslist for 100 bucks... worth keeping an eye out for them on there if you are willing to wait. I really like it for pruning because I can put the pole next to the trunk which I could not do with a standard ladder. I,m keeping an eye out for a short one, 6 or 8 footer for picking fruit on my citrus.
Oh, and only use them on dirt, never on hard surfaces, the pole has to bite into the ground.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:20 AM »
I had a 16 foot tall tripod ladder. But when I nearly fell from it, my wife forced me to sell it. They are a bit unstable. Now I have a 24 foot extension ladder, which is considerably more stable (and cheaper to boot!). Simply prop the ladder against the trunk or a thick branch.
There are many good reasons why orchards only use these ladders, they are very stable when used within their limits, but stay conservative and don't push the limits. Suggest don't get more than 12 ft model., get angle correct, make sure post is centered and digs in, don't pass the safe step, don't reach sideways too far or pull hard. This is an excellent safety video to know the limits of the tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmBsN5fWq8Y

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
If you are going to do a lot of trimming high up then use a rope to tie your extension ladder to the upper trunk or a high strong branch. Tie it in two places if you like.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
I like my 10-foot Tallman.

Sherrill Tree sells them, on-line, or catalog, or in their store (I assume, I haven't gone there) in Miami.  Tree service equipment company.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
A 10 footer would be nice. Any larger is too dangerous. Thanks for the sherrll tree recommendation. Looks like they carry Stokes brand for reasonable prices.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/stokes-orchard-restraint-10ft

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
Werner makes a 10 foot fiberglass tripod ladder that can be delivered for free to your local home depot. $233 has anyone tried it? I want one too!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
Haven't tried but I used a real orchard ladder for 2 weeks. It isn't in the same class at all because the range of the third leg is limited, but would be better than a 4 legged stepladder. The maker mentions it is only for level ground.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
Issue with the tripod ladder is that it can fall pretty easily to one side or the other. If the 3rd leg is not perfectly parallel to the other 2 legs and / or not perfectly perpendicular to the ground and / or not equally spaced between the other 2 legs. In this circumstance, a subtle weight shift to one side or the other causes the 3rd leg to cave in, since it's very weakly attached to the top step. On solid soil ground, it might be OK. On soft sand or mulchy ground, it's easy to create a tip over condition. This is much harder to do with a 4 legged ladder or even a 2 legged extension ladder.

I've owned all 3: tripod, 4 legged, and extension. My take is: tripod or 4 legged is best for heights up to about 10 feet. Extension ladder is best for anything beyond that (eg, my 30+ foot canistel).

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »
Yeah, I can see how a tripod ladder might be problematic on sand, now that you mention it. That is something I’ve never had to deal with.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
The Tallman tripod orchard ladders are designed to sink into soft earth, and sometimes sink in too far, suddenly.  The label advises against use on solid surfaces.  I put my boots on the ladder's feet when using on concrete, etc.
Har

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »
I found a 16 ft tripod ladder in stock at House of Ladders in Ft Lauderdale but passed as it was $540. Lowe’s is carrying a 12 ft 4 legged ladder for around $230.  The same ladder is $30 to $40 more st Home Depot.  I think I’m going to buy the one from Lowes.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
You can usually find deals on the 4 legged ladders on craigs list.

I found a 16 ft tripod ladder in stock at House of Ladders in Ft Lauderdale but passed as it was $540. Lowe’s is carrying a 12 ft 4 legged ladder for around $230.  The same ladder is $30 to $40 more st Home Depot.  I think I’m going to buy the one from Lowes.