Author Topic: Have a friend Going to New Delhi, India and wonder what Garcinia Sp. he may find  (Read 4628 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Have a good friend that going to New Delhi, India in the month of, April for about 2weeks... :o ;D

Any amazingly hard to find fruit species that he should look for in season?

What Garcinia species might he see at a market if any at all? (have the new world species like G. laterifolia made it into cultivation and markets of India yet?   I' sure Oscar will be informed about this quandary! ;) If not he knows a bunch of stuff I don't! and love his post style and content!

Preferably Garcinia, Annona, Sapotaceae, or others of interest?

Thanks in advance!  SEE YA 8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:32:00 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
India has some new varieties of nutmeg that the Indian Institute of Spice Research developed.

Garcinia indica, kokum,  is a species that may be available. There was a CRFG article about it a few months back.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
India has some new varieties of nutmeg that the Indian Institute of Spice Research developed.

you and your nutmeg obsession- a smiteworthy comment

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Delhi is not a fruit lover's capital of the universe! Especially in April. Garcinias in Delhi = ZERO. Murahilin is right about Garcinia indica, or kokum, being from India. But it comes from South India, and the season is in summer. He might be able to find some dried, canned, preserved kokum in Delhi. BTW, have seeds of kokum in season. Also have a very few seedlings coming up about 4 inches tall, that would be willing to trade/barter/sell. They are quite slow growing so far.
Some other Garcinias from Southern India: Garcinia cowa, Garcinia cambogia. Don't have either of these.
Oscar
PS your friend might be able to get some good early mangos if he hunts around for them. If you got to India looking for fruit only, you will be sadly disappointed. If you are looking for a guru than you've hit the jackpot!  ;D
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
My guess is that in bigger markets you could find al kinds of fruit from all over the country..

I would look for agricultural research stations, universitys, botanical gardens.

India is in my agenda for the next years. I will go hunting for mango budwood  8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
My guess is that in bigger markets you could find al kinds of fruit from all over the country..

I would look for agricultural research stations, universitys, botanical gardens.

India is in my agenda for the next years. I will go hunting for mango budwood  8)

Felipe, be forewarned, India is a verv very difficult place to source anything, unless you have prior insider connections. You can easily spend all day looking for one thing that in a western country you could obtain in a few minutes.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Forget India for mango budwood. We have better mangos in FL without all the abject poverty! Fairchild Farm (formerly known as Williams Grove) has a few hundred different varieties of mango, combine that with TREC, the F&S park, and Harry's house and you'll probably be able to get budwood from every variety of mango that is worth getting.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

Forget India for mango budwood. We have better mangos in FL without all the abject poverty! Fairchild Farm (formerly known as Williams Grove) has a few hundred different varieties of mango, combine that with TREC, the F&S park, and Harry's house and you'll probably be able to get budwood from every variety of mango that is worth getting.

Have to disagree with that one! India has more cultivars of mango than all the other countries put together. But what pleases a western palate is very different than what pleases an Asian palate. So cultivars that are considered really superior in Florida may be considered inferior in India, and vice versa.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Have to disagree with that one! India has more cultivars of mango than all the other countries put together. But what pleases a western palate is very different than what pleases an Asian palate. So cultivars that are considered really superior in Florida may be considered inferior in India, and vice versa.
Oscar

Oscar, I agree that they do have more cultivars than anywhere else in the world but I think FL has amassed a collection of the cream of the crop from around the world while India has maintained its old varieties while creating new ones without building huge collections of varieties of worldwide collections like in FL. I mean, I could be totally wrong since I've never been to India but from what I've read and heard it doesn't seem like they do much in terms of collecting like has been done in FL and Hawaii. I guess I am a bit biased towards the wonderful land of South Florida. I am not even a fan of Central or North Florida.

I would like to ship you some Lemon Zest budwood or a tree if possible. It is the best mango I've ever tasted and I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

Oscar, I agree that they do have more cultivars than anywhere else in the world but I think FL has amassed a collection of the cream of the crop from around the world while India has maintained its old varieties while creating new ones without building huge collections of varieties of worldwide collections like in FL. I mean, I could be totally wrong since I've never been to India but from what I've read and heard it doesn't seem like they do much in terms of collecting like has been done in FL and Hawaii. I guess I am a bit biased towards the wonderful land of South Florida. I am not even a fan of Central or North Florida.

I would like to ship you some Lemon Zest budwood or a tree if possible. It is the best mango I've ever tasted and I think everyone should have the opportunity to experience it.

Florida has indeed amassed the cream of the crop, but for whom? For western tastes. Unfortunately western shoppers are mostly attracted to mango exterior color, especially strong reds. Whereas Asians don't care one iota about color flush. Asians are more concentrated on interior taste and also suitability for pickling...something westerners don't care another iota about. India has some incredibly good mangos!they definitely have their share of mango conoisseurs over there, and they have been at a few millenia longer than Florida. The problem would be finding easy access to bud wood...not so easy in India...unless you know somebody at their research stations.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk