Author Topic: Too much fruit. What does one do?  (Read 5628 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Too much fruit. What does one do?
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:45:06 AM »
It's feast of famine when it comes to most fruit production.   What do y'all do with your excess fruit?

I freeze and process a little in jams and chutneys to give as gifts, and bring bags of fresh fruit to friends.  In a year or two I'll have enough to starting selling.  What do you do with all the fruit you can't personally use?
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Too much fruit. What does one do?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:49:35 AM »
Other than eating fresh, sharing and selling, dehydrate is a great option.   I dehydrate many fruits and most are delicious dehydrated.
- Rob

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:53 AM »
Other than eating fresh, sharing and selling, dehydrate is a great option.   I dehydrate many fruits and most are delicious dehydrated.

Dragonfruit is actually quite good dehydrated, especially the reds and purples. Cut a little thicker than you would when preparing banana for drying.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
It's feast of famine when it comes to most fruit production.   What do y'all do with your excess fruit?

I freeze and process a little in jams and chutneys to give as gifts, and bring bags of fresh fruit to friends.  In a year or two I'll have enough to starting selling.  What do you do with all the fruit you can't personally use?

Making Jams and Chutneys is not behavior befitting of a man. Stop doing that and give away more fresh fruit.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:15 AM »
If we have a huge crop of plums, or apples, we let them to ferment in barrels and  leaven will go to local distillery where they produce hard drink for us.
I still have a 20 liters bottle full of fine hard drink made from mix of fermented plums and pears from last distillation.
For example from 200 liters of fermented plums you can obtain up to 20 liters of hard drink with 52% alcohol if the sugar is high.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:34:11 AM by Radoslav »

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:49:51 AM »
If we have a huge crop of plums, or apples, we let them to ferment in barrels and  leaven will go to local distillery where they produce hard drink for us.
I still have a 20 liters bottle full of fine hard drink made from mix of fermented plums and pears from last distillation.
For example from 200 liters of fermented plums you can obtain up to 20 liters of hard drink with 52% alcohol if the sugar is high.

I have a friend who does that with bananas.

I also make jams, jellies and syrups that I sell at the local health food store.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Chutney. Made small leaf tamarind and finger lime chutney a few months back and it is the business. Just about finished the last of it already. Otherwise dehydrating is good, and sending relatives away with bags of star fruit and mangoes.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »

Too much fruit. What does  one do?

I'll let you know as soon as that happens to me  ;) 8)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
Make more friends.  Give away more fruit.  :D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
This is one reason I dont grow fruits like peaches that ripen all within a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:05:24 PM by fyliu »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
Make preserves, freeze, dehydrate, and feed to pigs.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
This is one reason I dont grow fruits like peaches that ripen all within a couple weeks.

Bananas are the worst.  No one needs 120 bananas at one time.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »

Ill be in Fiji in about 4 months doing humanitarian aid....hook it up J...ill even take your drops 😅
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »
Out here in the desert, I should really think about dehydrating right out in the blazing
sun - assume that would work at anything 100+ degrees???  That would leave me about
4 months to bake away.....

Gary

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
Ill be in Fiji in about 4 months doing humanitarian aid....hook it up J...ill even take your drops 😅

That's great.  I need humanitarian aid.   :)   Especially farm labour, and I need a BBQ grill and chicken house built.

Which part of Fiji?  How long will you be here?

You are welcome to visit my farm when you have some time off, maybe go out for some snorkeling or fishing if you'd like.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »
Food banks? I heard some places will send volunteers to pick the extra fruits
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
Ill be in Fiji in about 4 months doing humanitarian aid....hook it up J...ill even take your drops

That's great.  I need humanitarian aid.   :)   Especially farm labour, and I need a BBQ grill and chicken house built.

Which part of Fiji?  How long will you be here?

You are welcome to visit my farm when you have some time off, maybe go out for some snorkeling or fishing if you'd like.

J I can't give out a location or a general area at the time due to operational security, but I'll chime in something when we start pulling around the corner and we have the okay to speak. It will eventually become general knowledge as we want the public to know were coming to give aid...

J I'll pick weeds, sow the land, I do a hard days labor if you need me too lol....but yeah it would be extremely nice to see the other side of things besides the nearest bar every sailor and their mother will be ging too.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!