Author Topic: Plant that has a large taproot started from seed in a rootpruning pot?  (Read 2062 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
What would happen? to elaborate, I'm referring to something like an Asimna that would usually have a large taproot that would make it difficult to grow in a container, or a mangosteen say. Would the early root-pruning make the plant able to survive well without a taproot or would that have the same effect as damaging the root when transplanting (which can be pretty bad for something like a pawpaw). I'm wondering because early rootpruning would work and safely remove a taproot from a plant that usually has very little lateral roots, that would make it far easier to containerize, which is what i have to do here.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Wondering about this myself.

My current thinking is to try it, but not when the plant is real young.  I've definitely experienced killing palms with minor damage to the tap roots.  I need to experiment on something that won't make me cry if I kill it.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
What you propose is a standard practice in forestry trees in temperate climate. Plants 1 years old have their taproot cut by a tractor with a blade which moves UNDER the level of the soil. It just cuts the taproot leaving the lateral roots intact. This makes for easier-to-transplant plants. Of course the key here is to keep lateral roots intact: doable with specialized equipment, not as easy when done at home. But you can try. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
My experience starting plants in fabric pots is that the tap root will generally self-prune nicely and you'll get the effect you're looking for.  I've only tried this with a couple dozen kinds of tap-rooted plants though.

Kevin

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
The plant does not need a tap root as that only serves as anchor.  What it does need is good lateral root development which will come from a tap root tip that has been terminated.

Now, if your tap root has J rooted, you really got problems.  That aberration many times kills a tree or at least permanently stunts it.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I agree with Mark here. He's the one who inspired me to use this kind of air-pot with a post sometimes ago and I've used all sizes ever since with no problem at all. I use them for Sugar Apple, Cherimoyas, Atemoyas, Mangos, etc.
Thera

plantlover13

• View Profile
Alright thanks, i think i'll try it then. let's see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk