Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 935672 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #700 on: July 18, 2014, 06:38:40 AM »
Hi. Maybe a bit off the current topic but I'm chasing a bit of information on a couple of Dragonfruit varieties that I have acquired.  One is labeled 3S and the other is labeled G2.  I think I have read somewhere that 3S is "Delight" but don't quote me on that. Thanks in advance for any info.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Here's a picture of a Frankie's Red flower when it's starting to open.
Simon

Hi Simon. Looking forward to seeing the results of your flowering Frankies Red. I received a cutting from you last year and it is now 7 feet tall. It has grown really well through our winter and I am hoping it will flower this year or early next year. Keep us posted. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:57:34 PM by Rannman »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #702 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »
Hi. Maybe a bit off the current topic but I'm chasing a bit of information on a couple of Dragonfruit varieties that I have acquired.  One is labeled 3S and the other is labeled G2.  I think I have read somewhere that 3S is "Delight" but don't quote me on that. Thanks in advance for any info.

Paul Thomson named his "3-S" hybrid "Delight".

fyliu says; "G2 (part of Paul Thomson's original wild selections for crossing)" Reply #66

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 18, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »

fyliu says; "G2 (part of Paul Thomson's original wild selections for crossing)" Reply #66
I think 3S or S3 was named by Paul Thomson. Delight was name by Pine Island Nursery :)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »

I think 3S or S3 was named by Paul Thomson. Delight was name by Pine Island Nursery :)

In Paul Thomson's book, he refers to 3-S as "Delight".  If Pine Island had named it, it would have been more of a psychedelic rock name.   ;D

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »

In Paul Thomson's book, he refers to 3-S as "Delight".  If Pine Island had named it, it would have been more of a psychedelic rock name.   ;D
The owner of PIN told me that he renamed all dragon fruit varieties he got from California.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 18, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »

The owner of PIN told me that he renamed all dragon fruit varieties he got from California.

I think he is wrong and trust Paul Thomson's book and TFF member Sven.

Have you seen October 10, 2013, Reply #225?  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.225

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:19 AM »

I think he is wrong and trust Paul Thomson's book and TFF member Sven.

Have you seen October 10, 2013, Reply #225?  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.225
You are right. Maybe he named most of them but not all. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:10:15 AM by tanguy »

nickytwo

• south Africa kwazulu NATAL. ramsgate
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 19, 2014, 01:50:31 AM »
Does the amount of thorns tell you anything about cultivar......bought some cuttings..some have single thorns and other have three thorns.....hope it is Dragon fruit.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 19, 2014, 02:22:15 AM »
Does the amount of thorns tell you anything about cultivar......bought some cuttings..some have single thorns and other have three thorns.....hope it is Dragon fruit.

If you are talking about named varieties, not really.  Many of the named varieties are closely related and the plant can look the same... but the fruit taste different.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 19, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »
Simon

Hi Simon. Looking forward to seeing the results of your flowering Frankies Red. I received a cutting from you last year and it is now 7 feet tall. It has grown really well through our winter and I am hoping it will flower this year or early next year. Keep us posted. Thanks again.

You're welcome Ranman, I'm glad the cutting is doing well for you. I have no other dragonfruit varieties with open flowers right now so Frankie's Red will have to be self pollinating if I am to get fruit. If none of these flowers set fruit, I will have to assume that they require cross pollination. I've never tasted a Red x Yellow dragonfruit so I am very eager to try this Frankie's Red. I may even try to cross this Frankies Red with a Halleys Comet in the hopes of getting larger fruit but removing the male anthers, bagging individual flowers and growing out countless seedlings seems like a lot of work:(
Simon

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 19, 2014, 05:06:40 AM »
Simon

You're welcome Ranman, I'm glad the cutting is doing well for you. I have no other dragonfruit varieties with open flowers right now so Frankie's Red will have to be self pollinating if I am to get fruit. If none of these flowers set fruit, I will have to assume that they require cross pollination. I've never tasted a Red x Yellow dragonfruit so I am very eager to try this Frankie's Red. I may even try to cross this Frankies Red with a Halleys Comet in the hopes of getting larger fruit but removing the male anthers, bagging individual flowers and growing out countless seedlings seems like a lot of work:(
Simon
Hi Simon, the growth of the Frankies Red has been impressive and I am looking forward to hopefully getting a few flowers in the coming summer. Like you, I am hoping to cross some of my other varieties with the Frankies in the hope of getting something special. I will hopefully have over 40 different varieties flower this year and I am hoping to cross as many as I can, and after a few emails with a grower in Israel, a cross with the yellow megalanthus and the Frankies Red would be brilliant.  Hopefully good things to come. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing pics of your Frankies fruit.

MassSpectrum

• Tampa, FL, USA Zone 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »

Cool. I have pink "Delight".

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 22, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »
Couple days ago I noticed my small potted Zamorano  has two flowers forming.  I was not expecting any flowers on this plant,  its in a 6-7" container !! and each limb only extends out about 2ft.  or so.  it has been long over due for a transplant into a permanent location,  I have been dragging my feet because Zamorano has some nasty thorns on it, lot longer and closer spaced compared to other varieties I have and have seen. 

I looked online and Zamorano is listed as self pollinating, but that bigger fruit can be obtained by pollinating.

I have always assumed I can just pollinate from the same flower,  but my question is,  can I still get bigger fruit if I hand pollinate using the same flower?  also any experience with the taste of this fruit would be appreciated.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 22, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Not my experience. I find better fruit set & larger fruit when I use pollen from a different clone.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:40 AM »
Couple days ago I noticed my small potted Zamorano  has two flowers forming.  I was not expecting any flowers on this plant,  its in a 6-7" container !! and each limb only extends out about 2ft.  or so.  it has been long over due for a transplant into a permanent location,  I have been dragging my feet because Zamorano has some nasty thorns on it, lot longer and closer spaced compared to other varieties I have and have seen. 

I looked online and Zamorano is listed as self pollinating, but that bigger fruit can be obtained by pollinating.

I have always assumed I can just pollinate from the same flower,  but my question is,  can I still get bigger fruit if I hand pollinate using the same flower?  also any experience with the taste of this fruit would be appreciated.

Yeah Zamorano is thorny. You need a different flower to get bigger fruit.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
Does pollen store in the fridge?  I have another pitaya that is going to flower, but they will probably miss each other by a few days.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Does pollen store in the fridge?  I have another pitaya that is going to flower, but they will probably miss each other by a few days.
a few days is not a problem. Put a lid on the container to keep it moist.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 23, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »
I got my 'David Bowie' Dragon Fruit variety from PIN. I wonder what is the corresponding name for it in California.

DF Pole Wood Crown Update:

I'm very happy to report that the wood 'crown' on my DF pole has been completed today and boy, it's a doozey!

Originally, I planned to copy the design on previous pictures of this Thread. That was before I realized that my DF pole was round and not squared like the pictures on this Thread. So, I had to improvise and in short, with some help from a friend with carpentry savvy, we made lemonade out of a lemon, so to speak.

Brief description of design: Two opposite wood wedges were removed from the top of the pole so that the inner two pieces of wood that support the 'crown,' would have their weight supported by the pole (these wood pieces were secured to the pole with three galvanized nuts and washers, on both sides at the top of the pole). In turn, these two pieces of wood support the weight of the two pieces of wood that are connected perpendicularly to them. And, finally, these two pieces of wood support the weight of the remaining two pieces of wood, that complete the square shape of the wood DF pole 'crown.'

With this design, the weight of the 'crown' is distributed, using the wood pole as its foundation. IMO, and with all due respect and humility, this design is an improvement over previous designs that I've seen on this Thread. If indeed this is the case, I would love to see a design that also improves on this one.

Finally, I noticed some fruit buds at the top of the DF branch that has passed and grown taller than the pole. So, I went to the store, bought some cactus potting soil and applied it to the base of the DF pole. I'm also thinking of getting some nutritional foliar spray, because the DF roots are not clinging to the pole, due to the pole not being covered with burlap.

I have to admit, these developments are 'kinda' exciting and I can't wait to taste my first 'David Bowie' DF fruit. It's supposed to be quite productive, tasty and of mediumish size. I hope the taste is agreeable.

P.S.   Will post a picture at the earliest chance that I get.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:50:49 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
What is the best way to save df seeds?

I want to store some for later sowing. Just wondering what could be the best way to store and how long would they survive?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: July 23, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
I got my 'David Bowie' Dragon Fruit variety from PIN. I wonder what is the corresponding name for it in California.

I have never heard that David Bowie was a renamed California variety.
David Bowie may be a Pine Island Nursery original.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »

So far, yours is the only 'info' that I have to go by, and it sounds good to me. An original, huh? Very nice, 'thanx.'
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »

So far, yours is the only 'info' that I have to go by, and it sounds good to me. An original, huh? Very nice, 'thanx.'

If you trust dragonfruitplants.com...   ???  it says California is the origin.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »
How long as any one stored D F pollen & got good fruit set. Did you freeze it? Was anything special done to keep it viable?
Thanks

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:09 AM »
There was some work published that said if the pollen is dried first it can keep in the refrigerator for a fairly long time, even longer if it is frozen.  I'll look up the reference at work tomorrow.

Richard