Author Topic: Does Cold Hardy Mango exist?  (Read 36530 times)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Does Cold Hardy Mango exist?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
Plastic protects from wind and frost but deep cold will make the plastic work against you.  If the plastic touches the plant it freezes that part that it touches. Since I don't like to depend on the electric company in storms, I go unheated under cloth   Better insulation value with unheated cloth over unheated plastic.   

During the big freezes in the 1980's, some trees under plastic without heat had the worst damage.   Unless you take the plastic down the plant will get more heat and be more active when cold hits. 

The time it takes to kill the tree depends on the type of cold, how low it gets for how long and most forgotten, is the tree more dormant or full of growth.   Cold for a week before freezing is better than 80's until a big freeze.   

Cloth will last longer than plastic in that it can hold any ground heat and keep it longer then plastic.   I use quilts and put them on and off depending on need.  Keeping them off the tree itself as if cloth gets wet, it can damage anything touching it.   

The heat source under plastic works, if the electric stays on.   

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:41:25 AM by WGphil »

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
So according to my understanding a layer of anti freeze clothing and a layer of plastic bubble film on top of it will be great, with eventually a 5cm air layer between them because of the thickeness of the wooden frames around it (i built a 1 cubic meter wood structure to cover a soursop seedling, that's why i am seeking for the maximum protection - I am in zone 10 b or 11 a, not sure).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:09:58 PM by shinzo »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
In zone 10B or 11 (if real) you don't need frost-protection :)

The "cold-hardy" cultivars should be able to survive in USDA 9...and occasional light frost

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
I have a lot more air room and keep the plant further away from toughing anything.  I take them off, let the ground heat up and put the cover on.

For light frost and easy on and off, I use a fitted sheet and place four posts so it fits.  Easy on and off but  for light duty.  Our cold is wet also. 

Your more dry cold is not something I excel in by the way.  It has its own problems I am sure.   

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
Do you go all the way to the ground with the sheets? Any kind of heat under it? Still debating putting my Graham in the ground before fall starts.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
Wait the next spring to put your Grahan in the ground...

What do you know about Gomera-1 cultivar? It comes from Canary Islands and should be suitable for Mediterranean climate...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:03 AM »
Wait the next spring to put your Grahan in the ground...

What do you know about Gomera-1 cultivar? It comes from Canary Islands and should be suitable for Mediterranean climate...
I have one in the ground for the first year. It grows very well untill now... lets see how it will stand our winter...  :)

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2015, 07:05:08 AM »
Gomera-1 comes from La Gomera Island of Canary Islands.....the island of eternal spring !!! So I wonder if it is actually more cold-hardy ?! Do you have other Mangos to compare?

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
Are your Mangos suffering the winter?

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »
haven't gotten that cold yet in my yard. Lowest temp I've recorded was 32f and the plant is fine. I don't protect it with any frost cloth.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »
Gomera-1 comes from La Gomera Island of Canary Islands.....the island of eternal spring !!! So I wonder if it is actually more cold-hardy ?! Do you have other Mangos to compare?
It snows in Canarias ...  :)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »

sometimes lol
if you want cold hardy mango trees go to uttarakhand in the himalayas mt. you'll see many at 6,000 feet or come to Socal we should have Manohar , a true cold hardy variety, trees for sale by October 2016

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »

sometimes lol
if you want cold hardy mango trees go to uttarakhand in the himalayas mt. you'll see many at 6,000 feet or come to Socal we should have Manohar , a true cold hardy variety, trees for sale by October 2016
It's very far away...  ;D

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
JF, will you be able to ship to FL when they become available?

Collin

• Houston texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2019, 12:06:43 AM »
I had to throw in my two cents, in California there’s a mango farm I believe they cultivate green kietts  in coechella valley around there, there is a lot of farm land around Cali. Suppeosbly the mountains have more geological activity or something in them so it makes the area warmer during winter too. I have seen this green kietts in some grocery stores! The sticker will say USA California I forget the name of produce maker.