Author Topic: Jabuicaba compared to muscadine grape.  (Read 1900 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Jabuicaba compared to muscadine grape.
« on: October 23, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
Has anyone made Jabuticaba juice?Jabuticaba keep getting rave reviews on this forum has been compared to Grapes. I was contemplating planting muscadine grapes but their Harvest is in June July which is prime mango season. Never gave Jabuticaba much thought. I just automatically assumed it was a vigorous grower. Now that I have read differently and if it makes pretty decent juice. I would be interested in getting a 15 gallon tree
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:55:21 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Jabuicaba compared to muscadine grape.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
For juice, muscadine is better...unless you want wine ::)  Muscadines are bigger and jucier. No one really talks about grapes although there are very tasty varietes being developed in Asia. Jaboticaba is a slow grower...and takes a long time to fruit if you are talking about the common variety, sabara. But growing jabos is more fun and they look cool. That is why I am addicted.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:06:42 PM »
For juice, muscadine is better...unless you want wine ::)  Muscadines are bigger and jucier. No one really talks about grapes although there are very tasty varietes being developed in Asia. Jaboticaba is a slow grower...and takes a long time to fruit if you are talking about the common variety, sabara. But growing jabos is more fun and they look cool. That is why I am addicted.

I read the muscadine comparison on a gardeningknowhow website. I found some 25 gallons trees down by Fort Lauderdale looks like the Westin area. Do you think that size would be producing fruit?  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/jaboticaba/jaboticaba-tree-information.htm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:13:31 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
25 gal sabaras are just reaching fruiting age. I would expect some fruit pretty quickly...for comparison I purchased a 3 gallon 6 years ago. Now it is 25 gallon size and should fruit in a year or so. Also depends on care etc.(my climate vs. FL)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:07:53 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
I love jabos, but choice grapes taste better than the best jabos I've tried.

Most grapes don't grow well here in South FL. Trying out a FL muscadine, reportedly tastes better than commercial grapes, but has large seeds. If the flavor and production is there, can deal with some seeds. Good for spitting

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
Are you just comparing to sabara? Cotton candy grapes are pretty good but I have never tries muscadine. I think jabs are more productive and have extra in the flavour profile than many grapes.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
Hey Mike. I'm comparing to sabara, red hybrid, an unknown variety, and a few other oddballs. I have not tried Grimal, and am open minded to others kicking ass.

Most grapes suck or are ok to me. But really sweet and sour ones that are crisp can be delightful. Not sure of the specific varieties, but a top notch seedless grape is hard to beat. They come from lands far north of here.

I have tried many grapes over the years, and a few jabo types, and thus far, the best grapes beat the best jabos. However, the worst jabos are better than the worst grapes.

Being that not many grapes fruit well in my area, have happily focused on jabos.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
Hey Mike. I'm comparing to sabara, red hybrid, an unknown variety, and a few other oddballs. I have not tried Grimal, and am open minded to others kicking ass.

Most grapes suck or are ok to me. But really sweet and sour ones that are crisp can be delightful. Not sure of the specific varieties, but a top notch seedless grape is hard to beat. They come from lands far north of here.

I have tried many grapes over the years, and a few jabo types, and thus far, the best grapes beat the best jabos. However, the worst jabos are better than the worst grapes.

Being that not many grapes fruit well in my area, have happily focused on jabos.

What variety of jabos do you recommend for South Florida.What is the most common variety in South Florida
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:57:59 PM by bovine421 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 07:21:59 PM »
I would ask others regarding best jabos for south florida, my experience is limited.

What I do know is that they love water and prefer acidic soil. Not too much direct sun when young.

Mine are growing in/above limestone, quite alkaline.

Probably would be happier with lower ph soil.

Red hybrid and a large unknown (similar to or actually Sabara) are the ones that are fruiting for me, and seem quite happy. Blue jabo just started flowering, only 3 feet tall. Going to plant Grimal soon, expect it to do similarly well. 6 foot Sabara (in-ground) is yet to fruit, but beautiful.

More sensitive varieties, like Otto Anderson, would likely have a more difficult time with the alkaline soils of SoFL.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
Red hybrid is better and different from sabara with bigger fruit. I eat them all the time. I am loaded with grimals now and they are great and I walk past my sabaras to get at them. Vexators are poor in taste and flesh yield.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »
Red hybrid is better and different from sabara with bigger fruit. I eat them all the time. I am loaded with grimals now and they are great and I walk past my sabaras to get at them. Vexators are poor in taste and flesh yield.
Red hybrid it is. I just sourced it at Excalibur in West Palm Beach. I'll take a road trip next month and pick up some avocado Budwood and a red hybrid.

Mike my wife made the lime juice a little too strong! I am completely purged and cleansed. :o
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:45:43 PM by bovine421 »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 09:28:28 PM »

Shine muscat. Large fruits no seeds. Taste like a green table grape-firm and juicy, but has the muscat flavor. Only available in Asia(found it twice in the USA). Once you try, you will be obsessed. $25-35 per cluster :P . Better than Jabs. Of course this is a temperate fruit, just wanted to share. In FL, I would stick to jabos.  8)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »

Shine muscat. Large fruits no seeds. Taste like a green table grape-firm and juicy, but has the muscat flavor. Only available in Asia(found it twice in the USA). Once you try, you will be obsessed. $25-35 per cluster :P . Better than Jabs. Of course this is a temperate fruit, just wanted to share. In FL, I would stick to jabos.  8)

I love muscat grapes. I cannot remember which variety I found at my grocery (not that exquisite looking Shine muscat), but I ate the first two lb. bag I bought in a day. The six lbs. I bought the next week lasted about four days. I would not say I like muscat grapes better than muscadines, but it is hard to say since I first had muscadines years ago. The first muscadine vine I found in the woods I walked to twice a day for a few weeks just to make sure I had every single ripe fruit. Concords and Thomcords are also good, strong-flavored grapes. I find regular table grapes too bland to eat if there is any other option available. Muscat grapes do not, to my knowledge, grow in the Southeast since they like neither our high humidity nor freezing winters. They certainly do not like our climate in the same way muscadines do.

For juice production, the original poster would be better off growing muscadines instead of jaboticabas, assuming he lives in a part of Florida which is conducive to muscadine growing. Considering the popularity and amount of research which has been done by various universities (including my alma mater) into muscadine production, I am sure muscadine juicing equipment has been developed and is available for purchase, for the person who really wants to make some muscadine juice.