Author Topic: Weird looking fruits  (Read 1999 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Weird looking fruits
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »
I just noticed this on my tree.  :) It may drop though. Hope not. Last year I had one Hachia persimmon fruit looking weird, I will have to find the picture, and now this one. 

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Weird looking fruits
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
I would be tempted to layer the branch, at some point, if I though it would continue to bear the unusual fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
I would be tempted to layer the branch, at some point, if I though it would continue to bear the unusual fruit.

Has anyone ever succesfully air layered persimmon? According to this CRFG plant propagation chart it doesn't work:
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/proptable.html
Oscar

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
I think air-layering would work on most trees, except people don't use it on some because other reasons, such as weak root system on citrus or Cherymoya, and of course no one does it on coconut palm because ...you ended up with only the trunk left.

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
I got yellow, cauliflower-like callousing on an oblong, nearly-seedless, unnamed, heirloom persimmon, of which I was not the owner.

imho, watering helps this process.  ::)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
I think air-layering would work on most trees, except people don't use it on some because other reasons, such as weak root system on citrus or Cherymoya, and of course no one does it on coconut palm because ...you ended up with only the trunk left.

I think the reason is some plants even with hormone are really stubborn and refuse to shoot roots from a branch. Another reason not to I can think of is depending on the growth habit of a tree it could grow in an unideal way from airlayer. Thats my reasoning at least.

Does anyone know any other Diospyros species that has been successfully airlayered?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »

I think the reason is some plants even with hormone are really stubborn and refuse to shoot roots from a branch. Another reason not to I can think of is depending on the growth habit of a tree it could grow in an unideal way from airlayer. Thats my reasoning at least.

Does anyone know any other Diospyros species that has been successfully airlayered?

This discussion moved to: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15917.msg202430#msg202430
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk