Author Topic: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?  (Read 15857 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
I just topworked Angie with my favorite mango. no offence to Angie lovers, taste is subjective.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Is it true that Carrie and Angie are very similar in flavor?  If so, which one is superior and has less issues?  And if you consider them not similar, how are they different, and which one do you prefer?

Carrie is awesome & the #1 selling Mango at Truly Tropical.  Angie is total crap.  Watch the Sulcata video on Angie.  They think it sucks also.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Carrie and Angie are in my bottom 5, and you can add Ugly Betty to that pile.

Love the Ugly Betty, Angie and Carrie. I will take them any day compared to some other varieties such as Glenn, Rosigold, Cogshall and NDM #4. Better than Mahachanok as well, at least for my taste buds.

I agree, the others you mentioned are in the bottom pile.  Lol

My how tastes vary from person to person...

Truly Tropical grows and sells over 80 varieties of mangoes.  Carrie is their absolute #1 FAVORITE BEST SELLER!!  Most hard core mango lovers think Carrie is a superb mango - the facts speak for themselves. 

Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

Love the Ugly Betty, Angie and Carrie. I will take them any day compared to some other varieties such as Glenn, Rosigold, Cogshall and NDM #4. Better than Mahachanok as well, at least for my taste buds.

Truly Tropical grows and sells over 80 varieties of mangoes.  Carrie is their absolute #1 FAVORITE BEST SELLER!!  Most hard core mango lovers think Carrie is a superb mango - the facts speak for themselves.

I am very familiar with Truly Tropical and know Chris very well.  I dont choose mangoes based on sales.  I go by taste.  I am alsi very familiar with the Carrie and you will never see me eating one.  To me, they are horrible.  Please don't try to preach to me about how good it is and any mango lover would make it their favorite.  You will not even make me think of eating one or changing my mind.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile

I am very familiar with Truly Tropical and know Chris very well.  I dont choose mangoes based on sales.  I go by taste.  I am alsi very familiar with the Carrie and you will never see me eating one.  To me, they are horrible.  Please don't try to preach to me about how good it is and any mango lover would make it their favorite.  You will not even make me think of eating one or changing my mind.

Not trying to change your mind, trying to make you realize that the vast majority of people 90%?? think Carrie is an excellent mango. Telling people that Carrie is a bad tasting mango isn't accurate.  It's especially bad because your opinion and knowledge on most other things is spot on and well respected.  People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile

Not trying to change your mind, trying to make you realize that the vast majority of people 90%?? think Carrie is an excellent mango. Telling people that Carrie is a bad tasting mango isn't accurate.  It's especially bad because your opinion and knowledge on most other things is spot on and well respected.  People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Wait... in the same post you're telling him he's entitled to his own opinion but then telling him his opinion is wrong? The 'fact' that "90%" of people think Carrie is excellent (which I'll assume is a statistic you pulled out of your ass unless you have some poll to direct me to) does not mean that many people, myself included, would rather eat 3-day old cat barf than a Carrie mango. Individual tastes vary - that is an actual fact. You acting like a cheerleader does not make Carrie an excellent mango to those that disagree with its flavor/smell. Normally I wouldn't even post, but the arrogance of you trying to impose your will on others coupled with your 'you're entitled to your opinion even though it's wrong" attitude made me take the bait.

Here's a lesson for everyone out there:

1. Carrie is a mango. That is a FACT.

2. Carrie tastes like sweaty grandma socks. That is also a FACT. BECAUSE I SAID SO.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
A Carrie picked "mature green" with little to no color allowed to ripen on the counter for a few days are best.  When eaten this way they are not "mushy", have a pleasant tartness for balance and no turpentine undertone.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

90%?  Really, you have conclusive evidence?

You telling people its great is the same as me telling people its hirrible...its based on one's own taste and opinion.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Carrie is a great mango. Not everyone likes it, but there are plenty out there who do. One would postulate that if it weren't so, we wouldn't see so many carrie trees sold at local nurseries (and planted in various dooryard orchards) -- since carrie mango has little else going for it other than flavor: production isn't terrific, color is really poor, a fallen carrie mango is instant garbage due to the softness of the flesh, and it's really hard to find ripening carries, since they blend in with foliage so well.
Jeff  :-)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
I topworked my Angie. The fruit was bad. Like kerosene. There's a lengthy discussion in another thread somewhere- the conclusion was that it is highly variable in flavor depending on soil type. I have sugar sand on central FL and others growing in sand reported bad flavors. Those getting good results were growing in the calcerous south FL soil. My fruit were also hideous never colored up properly and lots of anthracnose. Tree itself is healthy and topwork is growing well.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
The kerosene flavor is from the sap and is pretty characteristic of carrie and quite a few other mangoes (including angie). Calcareous soil would surely enhance the flavor though.

I topworked my Angie. The fruit was bad. Like kerosene. There's a lengthy discussion in another thread somewhere- the conclusion was that it is highly variable in flavor depending on soil type. I have sugar sand on central FL and others growing in sand reported bad flavors. Those getting good results were growing in the calcerous south FL soil. My fruit were also hideous never colored up properly and lots of anthracnose. Tree itself is healthy and topwork is growing well.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Angie and Carrie are extremely popular with Indians and Jamaicans/Trinis (people who disproportionately buy mangos), and relatively unpopular among Americans (people who account for a minority of Mango buyers).

I happen to love both Angie and Carrie, and when I’ve conducted taste tests with other people, they struggled to tell the difference. I doubt most people here could in a blind tasting either.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Angie and Carrie are extremely popular with Indians and Jamaicans/Trinis (people who disproportionately buy mangos), and relatively unpopular among Americans (people who account for a minority of Mango buyers).

I happen to love both Angie and Carrie, and when I’ve conducted taste tests with other people, they struggled to tell the difference. I doubt most people here could in a blind tasting either.
Now that's interesting.
John

Fish Have Feelings

• South Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2020, 11:29:27 AM »
MY VOTE IS FOR CARRIE.
I live in south Miami and my Carrie probably has the cleanest leaves and nicest growth habit of my collection of 15 mango trees.
The worst issue with Carrie is that they are TOUGH to pick. If you lave them on tree till they look ripe they will be mushy or fall to the ground. Also this is probably a mango for mango lovers. Your friends who aren't mango fiends would rather have a Glenn or a VP which you eat with your eyes.

BEEN READING FORUM FOR YEARS -RECENTLY REGISTERED

17 Mango cultivars at home, plus dozens of anonnas, avocados, guavas, lychees, and other fruits.

Hobbyist beekeeper and chicken person, amateur ecologist and pomologist. Easily amused but I probably like plants and animals more than people.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Now that's interesting.

I can tell the difference between the two, 100 times out of 100.. In terms of taste,  I prefer the Carrie but Angie is more productive.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
My tree used to be like that. New class of anthracnose has been causing issues though.

MY VOTE IS FOR CARRIE.
I live in south Miami and my Carrie probably has the cleanest leaves and nicest growth habit of my collection of 15 mango trees.
The worst issue with Carrie is that they are TOUGH to pick. If you lave them on tree till they look ripe they will be mushy or fall to the ground. Also this is probably a mango for mango lovers. Your friends who aren't mango fiends would rather have a Glenn or a VP which you eat with your eyes.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
If you looked at all the pros and cons of each variety, I imagine Angie would come out on top.   Carrie might be sweeter and have a better flavor when picked and eaten at the PERFECT stage of ripeness, but Angie has an ideal texture which stays firm and therefore can be eaten at any stage of ripeness.  Much more practical and useful.  Alex is the pro so I wonder if he agrees.
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »
If you looked at all the pros and cons of each variety, I imagine Angie would come out on top.   Carrie might be sweeter and have a better flavor when picked and eaten at the PERFECT stage of ripeness, but Angie has an ideal texture which stays firm and therefore can be eaten at any stage of ripeness.  Much more practical and useful.  Alex is the pro so I wonder if he agrees.

Yes that’s a good summary.

Another cool thing about Angie is it’s paper thin seed. Awesome flesh to seed ratio:

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »

I'm guessing you're glad you kept your Angie tree then. :)  You were thinking of getting rid of it for a while, correct?

Personally, I like Carrie at any stage ripeness. It's great when picked firm and ripened off the tree. Even if it turns yellow on the tree, the flavor is more intense and a lot sweeter. I've considered  another good name for it would be the "wedding cake mango" because it reminds me of very sweet wedding type cake when enjoying, especially on more ripe side. I guess our tastes are extremely variable ;D ;D ;D

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »

I'm guessing you're glad you kept your Angie tree then. :)  You were thinking of getting rid of it for a while, correct?

Personally, I like Carrie at any stage ripeness. It's great when picked firm and ripened off the tree. Even if it turns yellow on the tree, the flavor is more intense and a lot sweeter. I've considered  another good name for it would be the "wedding cake mango" because it reminds me of very sweet wedding type cake when enjoying, especially on more ripe side. I guess our tastes are extremely variable ;D ;D ;D
Well we sold the house not too long ago.  I think the new owners will chop down the Angie tree to put in a swimming pool.  I hope they at least keep the Pickering tree!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2021, 08:38:29 AM »
Angie Baby You're a special lady
Thanks John this was a very useful thread

I like the fact that Angie is early and that I can check the Alpfonso  flavor box. It also made someone's bottom 5 horrific list :)
Angie grafted onto Honey Kiss and Neelam
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
Hey I finally got to taste some Carrie mangos last summer.  They were sweet, sweeter than Angie.  For me the flavor was different, possibly but not necessarily better.  I think I could tell them apart in a blind test, but who knows.  It's hard to understand the disgust and revulsion with these varieties, but sense of taste and the brain seems to be a complicated, emotional mechanism. 

I ate two different community mangos this morning.  Mystery varieties.  I can't even hazard a guess.  One was coconutty, but not overly sweet.  The second a much brighter, very sweet but tart flavor, with some pleasant resin.  I liked #2 better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:18:18 AM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
Hey I finally got to taste some Carrie mangos last summer.  They were sweet, sweeter than Angie.  For me the flavor was different, not better.  I think I could tell them apart in a blind test, but who knows.  It's hard to understand the disgust and revulsion with these varieties, but sense of taste and the brain seems to be a complicated, emotional mechanism. 
Carrie mango never complains
Carrie Never explains
Just eat them
Wikipedia says
mangoes conducted in 2005 that did not include Sophie Fry instead the study found Julie to be the most likely parent,[1] though Julie is also the parent of Sophie Fry. The Carrie tree was named after Lawrence Zill's mother, Carrie Zill.[2] It first fruited in 1940

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
MY VOTE IS FOR CARRIE.

How true is this! Those pale NW European derived ethnicity don't like Carrie/
While me Indian/ Bangladesh eaters go gaga over Carrie and same for me Caribbean eaters
I eat my share too of Carrie and me deluxe stupid Pickering which is ultra loaded this year

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
How true is this! Those pale NW European derived ethnicity don't like Carrie/
While me Indian/ Bangladesh eaters go gaga over Carrie and same for me Caribbean eaters
:o You want to know How true is a question that blanket categorizes ALL people racially of CERTAIN ETHNICITY with loving or hating a mango taste while then Classifying other ETHNICITIES with the opposite??? AND then you INSULT a group of people's SKIN COLOR by calling them PALE NW EUROPEAN DERIVED???   :o

(ZANDS please delete your post and I will delete mine as skin tone/color/race/etc. is NOT a factor in taste perception... WE ARE ALL MIXED )

ANSWER::: FALSE..... ALL people in your ETHNICITY GROUPS of thousands/millions of people do NOT ALL SHARE COMMON TASTE PERCEPTIONS.... SO FALSE FALSE FALSE

ALL of millions of people will never never never ALL taste the same tastes as ALL of the other Millions of people put in that group by you...
I do not believe you that All the millions of people in the group that you put yourself in , will taste the mango the same as you and have the same opinion.  :o
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:21:11 PM by palmcity »