Author Topic: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango  (Read 26048 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango
« on: June 19, 2014, 01:02:44 AM »
Last year I had a chance to taste the ST Maui mango for the first time,  I really liked it a lot,  if you like the variety "Ice Cream" you will probably like the ST Maui.
again this year I had another chance to try one out, and was just as delicious as the one I had last year.

This year I took a picture of the tree,  as you can see the tree is loaded with fruit,  the fruits are attractive also.  they almost looks like apples.

But there seems to be a mystery here,   Fairchild website, said it comes from Hawaii, but nobody in Hawaii seems to know it.  where did it come from?, what is its pedigree ?   who else is growing this?  what have been your experiences?  productivity, disease resistance etc.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »
I'm growing it. Have a production size tree in Loxahatchee Groves and a smaller one planted in West Palm Beach. it is a pretty vigorous grower; I have had trouble getting the big tree to bloom completely. This year it has about 15 fruits that ought to make it to maturity. I think it needs to be sprayed to produce reliably in the western communities of Palm Beach county.

The eating quality is superb. A top tier mango in my book.

But there seems to be a mystery here,   Fairchild website, said it comes from Hawaii, but nobody in Hawaii seems to know it.  where did it come from?, what is its pedigree ?

Richard Campbell had told me that it definitely was from Hawaii, that the "ST" was somebody's initials and that Dick Hamilton had evaluated it. I hadn't found any reference to it until recently while reading Hamilton's paper on the Origin and Classification of Mango Varieties in Hawaii. On page 32 (pg 5 of the pdf), you'll see a reference to "S-T" under the "tested but not presently recommended" table.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_28-33.pdf

I speculate, without any other supporting evidence, that it has White Piri in its parentage based on its shape, flavor profile and the predominance of White Piri in Hawaii.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:42:43 AM by Squam256 »

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »
Never heard of the variety... But sure looks delicious!!!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »
I speculate, without any other supporting evidence, that it has White Piri in its parentage based on its shape, flavor profile and the predominance of White Piri in Hawaii.

That's interesting squam256....since White Piries do not exhibit any red color.  I wonder if it is crossed with Irwin.  I need to try one of these ST Maui's one day.  I think the only place that sells trees of this variety to Californians is TT.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:53:34 AM by wslau »
Warren

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »
I'm growing it. Have a production size tree in Loxahatchee Groves and a smaller one planted in West Palm Beach. it is a pretty vigorous grower; I have had trouble getting the big tree to bloom completely. This year it has about a dozen fruits that ought to make it to maturity. I think it needs to be sprayed to produce reliably in the western communities of Palm Beach county.

The eating quality is superb. A top tier mango in my book.

But there seems to be a mystery here,   Fairchild website, said it comes from Hawaii, but nobody in Hawaii seems to know it.  where did it come from?, what is its pedigree ?

Richard Campbell had told me that it definitely was from Hawaii, that the "ST" was somebody's initials and that Dick Hamilton had evaluated it. I hadn't found any reference to it until recently while reading Hamilton's paper on the Origin and Classification of Mango Varieties in Hawaii. On page 32 (pg 5 of the pdf), you'll see a reference to "S-T" under the "tested but not presently recommended" table.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HITAHR_04-06-93_28-33.pdf

Assuming that the S-T listed is the same as ST Maui in this thread then you would be right. Seems like it is a cultivar that fell out of favor a long time ago. Never heard any reference to it before. But the same is true with a lot of the mangos in that list of 'not recommended'.
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:18:41 AM »
Few claimed it to have a "guava" taste about it. Any truth to that claim?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

Not to me. Found it to be rich, sweet and complex, with a medium resin note.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Had a California grown St Maui last and was very impress. Firm, rich, fiberless mango with some complexity....if I had the room I would defiantly plant out a tree excellent quality mango.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »

Not to me. Found it to be rich, sweet and complex, with a medium resin note.

I am not very good at describing taste,  but what you said, is exactly my experience,  that "resin" is not overpowering its just enough to make it interesting.  I spoke with the groundskeeper there at the orchard and plan on getting scion for the Maui.  as soon as the tree are in a better state to get them, growth phase.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »
Its a vigorous grower, but can it handle being kept relatively small and still fruit reliably?
Mango: the other white meat

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »
If S-T is really a vigorous grower and so great tasting, then why was it eliminated and not recommended? I'm starting to think, given the comments here, that this might be a different cultivar than what is being called ST Maui?
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »
I planted 5  mangos in 3 gal last year and the ST. Maui is the biggest of the 5. At least 50% bigger. Good looking, clean growing tree. Did not flower this year.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:43:34 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
If S-T is really a vigorous grower and so great tasting, then why was it eliminated and not recommended? I'm starting to think, given the comments here, that this might be a different cultivar than what is being called ST Maui?

Maybe it just didn't perform well enough in Hawaii to garner recommendation from UH.   There are other good tasting mangos on the not recommended list along with plenty I've never heard of either.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:38:03 AM by Squam256 »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
I planted 5 avocados in 3 gal last year and the ST. Maui is the biggest of the 5. At least 50% bigger. Good looking, clean growing tree. Did not flower this year.

ST maui is an avocado as well?  Do you mean that you planted the ST Maui mango at the same time as avocados?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »

I am thinking the same thing.  If S-T was a person or station, its safe to assume there may be other mangoes with this tag.  also using a dash instead of periods, and no mention of Maui.  could be the same mango, but I am not fully convinced.

looking over that list I see many varieties that have been successful commercially in other parts of the world, I mean, they have Neelam, Kent, Nam Doc Mai, Palmer and a few others that are still being grown commercially.

Keitt Mangoes have been around a long time, but all of a sudden they are like one of the preferred commercial varieties.  why were they not chosen decades ago for this purpose?   One report/study where a particular variety is not selected, is later rejected as candidates for evaluation in other places.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:30:55 PM by Tropicdude »
William

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango - Height Question
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I have an S T Maui tree approximately 3 ft tall that I'd like to take out of its container and plant in the yard.  I have no idea how much space this tree is going to require once it is mature, and I can't seem to find any information regarding growing height of this variety on the web.  Is there anyone out there who can give me some guidance?  I am also growing a Maha Chanok, which I understand will get quite large, so my space is limited (so little space, so many mangoes.....)  Please help  ;)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
I planted 5 avocados in 3 gal last year and the ST. Maui is the biggest of the 5. At least 50% bigger. Good looking, clean growing tree. Did not flower this year.

ST maui is an avocado as well?  Do you mean that you planted the ST Maui mango at the same time as avocados?
Sorry has been corrected. 5 mangos. I think of avocados all day long.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: S.T. Maui / ST Maui Mango - Height Question
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I have an S T Maui tree approximately 3 ft tall that I'd like to take out of its container and plant in the yard.  I have no idea how much space this tree is going to require once it is mature, and I can't seem to find any information regarding growing height of this variety on the web.  Is there anyone out there who can give me some guidance?  I am also growing a Maha Chanok, which I understand will get quite large, so my space is limited (so little space, so many mangoes.....)  Please help  ;)

Mahachanok will not require as much space.  It is not a vigorous variety.  Both can be kept in check, size-wise by an annual pruning maintenance system.  If possible I would allow for 12+ feet spacing.  You can get away with less (8-10 feet) if you dont mind them growing into each other or keep them in check by pruning.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »

Sorry has been corrected. 5 mangos. I think of avocados all day long.

haha!  no worries! 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »

Maybe it just didn't perform well enough in Hawaii to garner recommendation from UH.   There are other good tasting mangos on the not recommended list along with plenty I've never heard of either.

You're probably right. But still not fully convinced this is same cultivar. Another unusual thing is that the tests were done at Poamoho experimental station, which is on Oahu, not Maui. Anyway i'd like to find out more about this variety. I will ask at Poamoho station and see if they still have it and whether they have any records on it.
Oscar

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
I did get a guava or raspberry flavor. definitely a unique tasting mango to me.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 01:03:06 AM »
Does St Maui taste better than Ice Cream Mango? I'm not worried about production, only quality of fruit? I've tried Ice Cream and really like it so I'm hoping St Maui will be similar or better in terms of flavor.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 01:22:10 AM »
Does St Maui taste better than Ice Cream Mango? I'm not worried about production, only quality of fruit? I've tried Ice Cream and really like it so I'm hoping St Maui will be similar or better in terms of flavor.

Simon

no, it's not in the same level as ice cream, It's in the class of Angie,sunrise.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:30:33 AM by JF »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »

Simon

no it doesn't have the finest of ice crean, It's in the class of Angie,sunrise.

I wonder what, if any, taste difference there is with the Ice Cream grown in Florida vs California.   I say this cause I, and others i know, feel it is not of very good quality.  Its not a clean tree gere and if it weren't for its compact/smaller growing size, I feel there would be very little demand for it.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 08:52:13 AM »
Thanks for your input JF and Rob. Rob, the Ice Cream grown in SoCal is an excellent tasting fruit that is very unique and has a very subtle complex flavor that is difficult to describe. I've recently had the pleasure of tasting many different varieties of mango and Ice Cream is on my top 10 list even though it is a slow grower and I'm trying to grow ginormous trees.

It was a smaller mango that was not pretty and it had a firm texture and a very sweet taste. It had a Brix above 20, I can't remember exactly what it was but it was sweet enough. It had a complex mild Indian Resin taste that I have not experienced in any other mango. The Resin taste is not as strong as Alphonso or Kesar, it was mild and very different with a lot of depth.

The Ice Cream mango was very well received by all tasters and I believe most had it on their top 3 list. I believe it was Tropicdude that mentioned that if one were to like the Ice Cream mango, they may also like the St Maui. I'm hoping that the St Maui has that same complex hard to describe resin note as the Ice Cream. I feel that the Mangos we grow here in SoCal are less washed out, for susceptible varieties, due to the less frequent rains we receive and also perhaps due to the longer amount of time the fruit ripens on the tree. My Glenn's for example were anything but mild and had a Brix into the 20s.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk