Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940286 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
If anybody could give me some cuttings of their dragon fruit,I would greatly appreciate it.

Coming to Iceland any time soon?  I've got surplus  ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
My Dark Star is in full flower mode. Had 5 flowers open last night, 6-7 ready to open tonight, plenty of buds still coming, with 4 fruits that should be ready in a little over a week.
Will also have 2-3 flowers on both the Physical Graffiti and the Purple Haze opening tonight.

Dark Star.

The solo fruit (so far) on the Purple Haze just started to change color today.

Here is the trellises I put towards the end of my driveway for a couple of unknown varieties I have. I have trimmed the plants up since the picture was taken.

DM

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
Dangermouse01, I like the trellises at the end of the driveway, very stylish, good job.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »
Dangermouse01, I like the trellises at the end of the driveway, very stylish, good job.

X2 !! Very nice.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
I love the pictures on this thread! I am ready to post mine now. I planted 6 posts last year with Zamorano, Physical Graffiti and Alice White. Zamorano is by far the most vigorous, Alice White is by far the least. No flowers or fruits yet. When should I expect to see some?

The wood is untreated so I put in the T-Posts for support as the structure rots. I will probably add 2 more T-Posts for additional support in the Fall. I want to take care of it now, rather than in 5 years when hundreds of pounds of thorny cactus are weighing down on crumbly wood posts!

I have some burlap bag material on the posts, stuffed with sphagnum moss and Excalibur's fruit tree fertilizer. They are decomposing, so I've stuffed some socks and attached those to the rebar on top.

I post a picture taken from the back gate so you can see how I've used a star fruit tree and copper leaf shrubs to obscure the structure from many vantage points. The flower and fruit are beautiful, but the rest of the plant- not so much!

The structure is situated on the West side of my house, so it has a good amount of protection from hurricanes.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Katie that set up looks great!! Nice Job. Mine took a 1-1/2 years to go from the picture on the left to the picture on the right

January 1, 2012
May 27, 2013
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:39:17 PM by MarinFla »

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
Katie that set up looks great!! Nice Job. Mine took a 1-1/2 years to go from the picture on the left to the picture on the right

January 1, 2012
May 27, 2013

;D Do you get fruit now? How many from that structure?

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

January 1, 2012
May 27, 2013
Yes I am getting lots of fruit now. They are covered with developing fruit and newly blooming flowers.
 ;D Do you get fruit now? How many from that structure?

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2013, 12:41:09 AM »
My trellis of dragon fruit explodes with new flowers every night

And my first super big Halley's Comet for this summer. Time to get out the refractometer to test the brix level.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:57:20 AM by MarinFla »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
MarinFla,

Congrats beautiful looking fruit. I bet it taste as good as it looks.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
MarinFla,

Thanks! I've eaten a few smaller ones already...I am surprised at how sweet they are compared to others I have tried (not mine). I can't wait to rest the brix level to actually quantify it.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:38 AM »
Mind sharing a Halley's Comet cutting or two? I've been looking to get some everywhere.

Thanks
thao

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »
Mind sharing a Halley's Comet cutting or two? I've been looking to get some everywhere.

Thanks
thao
If you make it really easy for me I surely will....between work and family obligations I am usually so overwhelmed. So if you could send me a package to put the cutting in already labeled with your mailing address and postage, I will put the cuttings in that package and send it right back to you.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »
Sure, pm your sending address.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:17 AM »
MarinFla,

Thanks! I've eaten a few smaller ones already...I am surprised at how sweet they are compared to others I have tried (not mine). I can't wait to rest the brix level to actually quantify it.

But wait.....the larger the fruits get, the better/sweeter they are.  At least that has been my experience.  Nice growing!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
MarinFla,

But wait.....the larger the fruits get, the better/sweeter they are.  At least that has been my experience.  Nice growing!
Thanks Harry! I tested that dragon fruit with the refractometer and it measured at a brix level of 15.6

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Just taste tested an American Beauty, grown by Rodney. The fruit was on the larger side believe it was around 1 lb, was an excellent sweet taste with a nice subtle acidic component. 3 of us all greatly enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:11:06 PM by nullzero »

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
Just taste tested an American Beauty, grown by Rodney. The fruit was on the larger side believe it was around 1 lb, was an excellent sweet taste with a nice subtle acidic component. 3 of us all greatly enjoyed it.

Nice looking fruit, that is a good tasting variety. I have only had my "houghtons" mature so far. All of the others have a few more weeks, of course while I'll be in Peru.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
marklee,

How is the houghton fruit? I have one growing atm.

Creynell

• New Smyrna Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
Hello I am so glad I found this forum!! Great ideas for the trellis. I just got my first dragon fruit plants :) I would love to have some cuttings of Hailey's comet if you could spare anymore I could send prepaid shipping box

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2013, 03:38:53 AM »
marklee,

How is the houghton fruit? I have one growing atm.
The Houghton is smaller than most others, it is dark red and very tasty, I just had my friend try one for the first time the other night and she can't get enough of them. A very prolific bearer, I must have 50 or more on mine right now. One of my favorite.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2013, 07:44:59 AM »
MarinFla, love your setup. 

I have a Red Zamorano that is a mess.  It is in its original pot, it needs a repot badly. 
It is running everywhere and I think i want to start from scratch and do a setup similar to what you have.

I do have my first flower about to pop open, hoping for my first fruit set.

So, as I understand it, it is not about how high the plant grows, but more about how far down the plant hangs, correct?

How necessary is it burlap the post?

I was thinking about adding a second culitvar maybe do two plants of two cultivars (4 plants) around a 4x4.

Anyone have a good variety they want to swap for some Red Zamorano (similar growth habit)?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
MarinFla, love your setup. 

I have a Red Zamorano that is a mess.  It is in its original pot, it needs a repot badly. 
It is running everywhere and I think i want to start from scratch and do a setup similar to what you have.

I do have my first flower about to pop open, hoping for my first fruit set.

So, as I understand it, it is not about how high the plant grows, but more about how far down the plant hangs, correct?

How necessary is it burlap the post?

I was thinking about adding a second culitvar maybe do two plants of two cultivars (4 plants) around a 4x4.

Anyone have a good variety they want to swap for some Red Zamorano (similar growth habit)?

I have a couple of well rooted "physical graffiti" cuttings, that have been branching. I don't have any more room, so I need to get rid of them, so if you are interested in them,  send PM . No need to trade, since I don't have any more room for new plants.

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
Two of my dragon fruits have been putting out blooms for several mainths now without any fruit set until the other day. The differnce I see is that all of the flower up till now have all been vertical with the Style standing straight up. These last blooms have been horizontal and the style is bent at a 90 degree angle so that it gets the Stigma next to the anther. the first photo was taken in early June and the second one August.
Is this usual?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
Which cultivars are these?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA