Author Topic: Leaf miners  (Read 3301 times)

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
Leaf miners
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »
I have some leaf miners that just laied their slimy looking eggs on the new growth of some of my potted citrus. Will it help to spray them now or can you only spray before they get on them to keep them away? Will treating now kill the eggs?   

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Leaf miners
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:26:07 PM »
Leaf miners are a constant threat. The best control is Bayer Systemic. It needs to be applied and absorbed by the citrus in order to be effective. Spinosid spray will also help control. I find that Spinosid works best when applied before the pest get inside the leaves. For me the worst damage is done at the last flush of tbe year. Miners will not kill mature trees....even though they make trees look ugly. They will damage a young tree and severely set it back. I recommend Bayer Systemic applied before miners show.

LBurford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »
Is it ok to water potted plants with the Bayer Systemic? I guess I am too late this year since they miners are already here. I have some systemic spray so I may spray them tomorrow to make me feel better anyway.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:06:10 AM »
Yes. Bayer works on potted plants and will not hurt them. Follow directions on the bottle.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »
I make my own neem oil spray (water, neem oil, dishwasher soap). It really reduces leaf miners if sprayed as new growth emerges. And repeated every four days until growth matured.
Zone Pusher

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:03:50 AM »
Yes you are right. Neem oil sprayed every 4 or 5 days will cut out a lot of leaf miner damage. One must be cautious using neem oil in real hot weather. Summer time in my Zone (9) precludes the use of neem oil most of the hot weather. In order to get the right mixture to deter the miners one can come close to damaging his citrus.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »
I use about 1 tsp per quart of water with a dash of dishwashing soap. I am in zone 10A, still use the spray when the new growth is coming, even in the summer. Best time to spray is in the evening, when the plants are shaded from the sun and into cooler night temperatures. My trees are young, haven't damaged them yet (fingers crossed).
Zone Pusher

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
I hear you. If it works for you use it. In my small grove (60) trees I do not spray for miners. All the trees are mature and the miners damage is not worth the expense of combating them. I do spray my newly grafted and young trees. All summer I have fought the butterflies....seems like they have been extremely prolific this year.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
I hear you. If it works for you use it. In my small grove (60) trees I do not spray for miners. All the trees are mature and the miners damage is not worth the expense of combating them. I do spray my newly grafted and young trees. All summer I have fought the butterflies....seems like they have been extremely prolific this year.

Ditto.
Giant swallowtail caterpillars can devour a young tree in a couple of days!
Zone Pusher

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
LBurford if your container plants are small, and if you don't mind taking the time, you could use your fingers to squash  the insects inside the leaves.  If the leaves have started to show the insects tunnels, simply squeeze the leaf at the very end of the tunnel to kill it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:27:46 PM by Millet »

LBurford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:22 AM »
Is it ok to water potted plants with the Bayer Systemic? I guess I am too late this year since they miners are already here. I have some systemic spray so I may spray them tomorrow to make me feel better anyway.

I bought some Bayer. It tells how to mix it for trees that are larger and in the ground but I am not sure how to mix it for small trees in pots.   

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
Mix it the same as for in ground trees. When you put it in the pots....fill till soloution saturates pot. When it starts to come out weep holes in pot move to the next one. Repeat as necessary. It has time spans on pot with directions.

LBurford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
The instruction are kind of confusing to me. It says add one ounce per one inch of distance around the trunk. I have a Citrumelo that is approx. 10 to 12 inches around and 12 to 15 feet tall. If I add 12 ounces to a gallon of water for this tree I am afraid it will be way to strong for my little potted trees. Plus it will be very expensive to mix at this rate. I that is what I need to do that is fine. I just don't want to kill any trees.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
That is the way I mix it. 1 oz per inch of tree circumference. If you are unsure call Bayer and talk to them. I have not killed trees before mixing like this.

LBurford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 11:31:46 PM »
Ok,
So my small pencil sized trees in pots will get a much weaker dose that the big tree.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 03:49:19 AM »
Yes.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
I used Bayer last year and it saved me from leaf miners on first and 2nd flush, I got decent fruit set, then 3rd flush got hit hard. these dont really work as anticipated. but without it I had no crop last year.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
Miners always hit the last flush hard. Without a systemic they will make a grown tree look like s____. Will not kill a grown tree. They will hurt new grafts and young seedlings. Rare instances they will severely handicap a young seedlings.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
I have some leaf miners that just laied their slimy looking eggs on the new growth of some of my potted citrus.

Pretty good eyes to be able to see CLM eggs...
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »
I have some leaf miners that just laied their slimy looking eggs on the new growth of some of my potted citrus.

Pretty good eyes to be able to see CLM eggs...

Correct, if you're seeing eggs it's most likely butterfly eggs.

When I use Bayer after the first dose, I mix it in a large pot & set the potted tree down in it & let it soak up the mixture. Very easy when you're doing multiple containers.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 06:43:21 PM »
Thats a good plan Laaz. Most of my citrus is outside except potted limes....gonna dip them next time.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »

Use neem oil.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »
Interestingly, my current 4th flush on oranges, pomelo, grapefruits and lemons have minimal CLM damage.  Flush 1 was devoid of the them but flushes 2 and 3 were pretty heavily impacted. Not sure why this latest flush was spared. Usually the later the flush the more severe the infestation. I try not to spray in favor of Papilio Cresphontes.  They are a majestic creature.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
Interestingly, my current 4th flush on oranges, pomelo, grapefruits and lemons have minimal CLM damage.  Flush 1 was devoid of the them but flushes 2 and 3 were pretty heavily impacted. Not sure why this latest flush was spared. Usually the later the flush the more severe the infestation. I try not to spray in favor of Papilio Cresphontes.  They are a majestic creature.

Deal With It

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »
Would horticultural oil work as well as the neem oil?  Or does the neem oil have a repellent component?

I do have some 100% neem oil but it's at least 5 years old, and I don't know if it's still good to use.  And I just bought horticultural oil (Bonide).  I've also read that when you mix a batch of neem oil it's only good for about 6 hours, though I'm not sure why.