Author Topic: Mango tree (when to commence winterisation)  (Read 1287 times)

PY

• USA, PA, zone 6
    • View Profile
Mango tree (when to commence winterisation)
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »
hello, i have been off for a while. As you may remember I bought a few trop fruit trees in spring. I am in zone 6. There has been little growth if at all, with my trees esp the 2 mangoes. Some growth on the wax jambus.

In any event, this morning I had a good look at one of my mango tree (7gal) must admit I dont look at it apart from watering it infrequently, to my amazement there are flowering stalk forming. I am panicking. night time temp cooling off. What shd i do. I havent got my light (too expensive) when shd I bring it indoors? How shd I do it? Any suggestions would be most appreciative. thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:44:02 AM by PY »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree (when to commence winterisation)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
Not to rain on your parade but you having out of season flowering unless you have winter variety, not good.  If you didn't get in season flowering I doubt you are going to have much luck with out of season flowering.

But hey, stranger things have happened.

I would be tempted to chop the pannicles off to improve the overwinter energy levels to get the tree off to a good start next growing season.
I don't know if the tree would immediately attempt create more pannicles or not, at the least you could yank the fruit as soon as it forms.

Especially in zone 6, I'd want focus my flowering for spring and summer, not fall and winter.
Patience is a bitch.

PY

• USA, PA, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree (when to commence winterisation)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
 :'( and I was so excited this morning. (Hah) the variety I have is Nam Doc Mai.

thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk