Author Topic: what mangoes are in season right now?? My neighbor's tree is chock full  (Read 8795 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
My neighbor has a tree that grows pretty much upright (20-25 feet high) and full of large oblong green mangoes that turn a little yellow on top when ready to be picked.  They turn yellow when ripened on my counter, are very aromatic and have orange/red (almost papaya color) flesh.  They're fiberless and sweet with an amazing tropical aftertaste.  My neighbor doesn't know what variety they are and there's a language barrier so I am trying to find out for myself.  As of the last day of August, the tree is still loaded with 90% of the fruit still waiting to be ready.  Anybody have any guesses?

I will try to post a pic soon but it's dark now and i don't have one to cut open. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
A productive tree with great tasting, seedless fruit, that is late in the season, could this be a new seedling variety? How big/small is the fruit? What's the seed like, thin, thick...?

More info. please, this is a mistery that sure needs to be solved.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• View Profile
LOL....sorry to get you hyped up.  I will definitely follow up with pics of the tree, fruit, and flesh/seed.  I doubt it is a "new" cultivar to the ppl on this forum because my neighbor isn't that much of a fruit nut.  He doesn't seek out the right cultivar like i seem to do but he does have good-tasting fruit on most trees i have sampled from his yard.  I am hoping that once the pics are up, harry or jeff will be able to weigh in.

to be continued...
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Beverly is a largish mango that blushes yellow.  My tree still has fruit on it.

The amazing tropical aftertaste might now apply, though.  Taste is so hard to compare with words.

gunnar429

• View Profile
i was checking truly tropicals available list and saw beverly.  i looked on PIN website but it didnt show the flesh.  Is it orang/red like papaya?
~Jeff

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
I just ate a Beverly today and it reminded me of a spicy Valencia pride. The flesh was more of a creamy yellow like VP. And it was largely green with uneven yellow blushing. And it is slightly oblong, but not nearly as long as a VP or Southeast Asian mango. So to me, it does not sound like Beverly.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Katie, please let me ask you a question: Can you tell me a bit more about the Beverly that you just ate today? Any fibers, was it fiberless? And, what about the seed, was it thin or thick? I appreciate your help.

We're approaching the end of the mango season. So, true, real life/time reports carry a lot of valuable weight as to the behavior of desirable mango varieties.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
My bet is it is a seedling mango. Seedling mangoes abound in South Florida. California too so it seems.

Keitt is ye old reliable late season mango.
Neelam is late
This year is off on mango ripeness dates but......  My Kent and Gold Nugget trees still have some last few mangoes but usually they are done by first or second week August.

Caution:
Some people are tired of mangoes by August and don't care about any late season varieties. They are mangoed-out. Mango fatigue has set in. So don't plant a late mango if you-family are like this

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Re: what mangoes are in season right now?? My neighbor's tree is chock full
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
You're right, this year is off on mango ripeness dates. My Keitt mangoes are all already gone. For that matter, there are no mangos on the trees in my yard, this is why I'm desperately seeking 'Beverly,' I need info. on it to see if it will fill a mango void in my yard. I checked all the pages of JoeP450 "Mango Reviews" thread, but there was no review of the 'Beverly' mango. The amazing thing that  Froum Member 'gunnar429' is saying, is that the tree is full of "large", "sweet" and "fiberless" mangoes.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Katie, please let me ask you a question: Can you tell me a bit more about the Beverly that you just ate today? Any fibers, was it fiberless? And, what about the seed, was it thin or thick? I appreciate your help.

We're approaching the end of the mango season. So, true, real life/time reports carry a lot of valuable weight as to the behavior of desirable mango varieties.

Fiber is about the same as VP. I would describe Glenn as fiberless, VP (and Beverly) does have a little. I don't remember about the seed. It was a fairly large mango, so regardless, there was plenty to eat.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
Thank you Katie, and also thanks to Zands and mangomandan for all your replies. From what I've gathered from all your input is, that I've come to the same conclusion that Zands has.
That, if gunnar429's description is spot on, then what he's describing seems to be a new seedling variety. If this is actually the case, that the quality is large, 'fiberless,' sweet and consistently productive, then the owners potentially have a patentable cultivar that they could make some good money off. I mean, just look at my situation, I love fiberless good quality mangoes, and all the mangoes in my yard are gone. I would seriously consider purchasing a graft from this tree, if it was available.

PS   Reminds me of the expression "the proof is in the pudding."  :D

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Thank you Katie, and also thanks to Zands and mangomandan for all your replies. From what I've gathered from all your input is, that I've come to the same conclusion that Zands has.
That, if gunnar429's description is spot on, then what he's describing seems to be a new seedling variety. If this is actually the case, that the quality is large, 'fiberless,' sweet and consistently productive, then the owners potentially have a patentable cultivar that they could make some good money off. I mean, just look at my situation, I love fiberless good quality mangoes, and all the mangoes in my yard are gone. I would seriously consider purchasing a graft from this tree, if it was available.

PS   Reminds me of the expression "the proof is in the pudding."  :D

To have a tree full of mangoes this late is unusual. Half full, half already ripe and eaten is more like it for a good late season mango tree. Gunnar will post some photos soon and some more details. I agree it would be worth propagating if is a seedling tree and an original variety.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
The mango season in central Florida seems to be a bit later than you guys in south Florida.  If the tree is in Winter park, thats just north of Orlando.  Gunnar429 I would think that your zone would be 9b not 10b.  But it has been a weird season, for me at least, I had Glenn mangos until the last week of July.  That is over a month later than usual for me.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
west park is just south of hollywood near miramar in broward county.  I will post pics soon...but i also have to wait a few days to post the flesh pics as the ones i picked today are still green....will keep you posted!
~Jeff

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
west park is just south of hollywood near miramar in broward county.  I will post pics soon...but i also have to wait a few days to post the flesh pics as the ones i picked today are still green....will keep you posted!

That is amazing, we're already in September, and in your quote above you mention that the mangoes that you picked today are still green!

My advice to you, is that this could be important, just try to refrain from, you know, ...most people tend to exaggerate a little (like: the fish I caught was this big...).
If you could give us a straight report (like the joep450 mango reviews thread), the truth and nothing but... will be greatly appreciated, just bring it on, we can take it, and thanks.

gunnar429, based on the description of your location, it seems to me that you are in Zone 10b.

This is where I looked it up:
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:37:03 PM by LEOOEL »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
yup, 10b i what i thought.  Anyway, here are some pics of the mangoes.  the flash makes them appear a little yellow but trust me they are still green.  I included a few pics of the tree and some fruit hanging on it.  These were taken this morning...september 1st.

pics of flesh and such to come in a few days.
~Jeff

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
before i get any flack for the loaded tree that doesn't appear to be loaded, let me just be real:  I would estimate the tree had 30+ mangoes earlier this week.  The first one I had was probably a little over a week ago.  It is difficult to see in the picture but i would say that after my neighbor harvested a lot of them, and after i harvested 3a few more for "research,"  there are probably about 8-14 mangoes remaining on the tree.  I will definitely review it when i slice 'em open.
~Jeff

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 01:26:54 AM »
My bet is it is a seedling mango. Seedling mangoes abound in South Florida. California too so it seems.

That's interesting.  I was under the impression that getting a desirable mango from seed wasw like 1 in a million.  I thought i heard that mr. zill started with like 10,000 seeds.  I didn't recall any fiber, pleasant flesh color, and great taste....seems like that would have been one lucky chance seedling. 

This is not to say that ppl haven't planted seeds all over....just that this seems to be a tree that was purchased.  I will try to inquire more when i see him again.  Maybe he remembers where he got it.  Last time i asked, it was lost in translation
~Jeff

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »

Ok I thought I read winter park on your location, never mind.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

That's interesting.  I was under the impression that getting a desirable mango from seed wasw like 1 in a million.  I thought i heard that mr. zill started with like 10,000 seeds.  I didn't recall any fiber, pleasant flesh color, and great taste....seems like that would have been one lucky chance seedling. 

I have only had one super fibrous seedling mango. Maybe those type trees get the axe. I have had many good-excellent seedling mangoes.
Main drawbacks of seedling mango are
  • with grafted mango tree you know exactly what fruit you will get
  • grafted- you know what month it will produce
  • grafted-it will produce fruit sooner but>>>>
  • we have accounts here of seedlings producing sooner than expected and >>>
  • grafted trees taking lots longer to produce fruit, comparable to a seedling
  • My neighbor has a seedling avocado tree in year seven and this is the first year it has fruit. Hundreds of them
  • I think year five is when most seedling mangoes produce fruit
I thought i heard that mr. zill started with like 10,000 seeds.
He was looking for the best of the best of the best so maybe only 100 out of 10000 qualified.
But this doesn't mean there were not thousands of delicious seedling trees that would have come out of it. My understanding is he did not have to let all those 10000 grow into real mango trees to find out what the seedling result was

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
Gunnar
That tree is Keitt maybe....going by the photos

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
Looks similar to my questionable Neelam. My tree had 24 mangos this year and just this week 3 of them have changed color and I picked them off to ripen. I still have a loaded tree.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
Zands is probably right in that it's a 'Keitt' variety mango tree. I would be surprised if it were a seedling. It's a young looking tree with a height of 15 to 20 feet tall, and producing like crazy. 'Keitt' mangoes have a negligible amount of fiber, some would call it almost fiberless. In my opinion, the 'Keitt' and 'Rosigold' mango trees, are two, must have cultivars; at least at my location. I have two 'Keitt' mango trees growing in my yard. But, every year, me and my family turn into Mango Zombies and we quickly devour them at the earliest date of maturity. I'm working on an antidote to see if we could leave some on the tree so that we could enjoy them longer throughout the year.  ;)

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
Interesting....I didn't think Keitt's were as balanced in terms of flavor, but that's probably b/c the ones I have had were from Puerto Rico or somewhere--i think they were selling them at FTBG mango festival for $1
.  I checked with my neighbor and he claims the tree is only 2.5 years old (which is surprising to me b/c as stated before, it's approx 20 ft tall).  He bought it from a nursery on Griffin rd (I believe it was east of university).  Therefore, I don't believe it's a seedling.  He didn't remember the name of it though.  Just checked PIN website and the Keiit picture has red blush....these have none (just green with slight break to yellow when ready....yellowed up nearly all the way on my counter.  also the site says they are 4-5 lbs but these mangoes, while larger-than-avg (to me), probably weigh 2.5 lbs...maybe 3.  hmmmmm.

Tasted the fruit again today.  It is virtually fiberless and very meaty.  As you can see from the pics, it made firm, yet melting cubes when sliced and inverted.  The taste is balanced, but sweet with citrus and coconut overtones.  The aftertaste is great....I eat these so slowly--not because they're too rich but because they must be savored.   It almost doesn't even seem like food.  Anyway, the seed is thin and the flesh is a medium orange (turned papaya red when cut and put in a fruit salad bowl in the fridge). 
~Jeff

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 01:12:19 AM »

~Jeff