Author Topic: Gwen avocado leaf bronzing, what's up with this?  (Read 5966 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Gwen avocado leaf bronzing, what's up with this?
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
I'm stumped, and have looked at everything I've applied regarding culture.  (I keep a very detailed journal.)  I can't stop the bronzing of Gwen leaves.  Wouldn't care if it was the old ones, that's to be expected but it's happening on the spring flush which really worries me.  Thought it might be chlorides.  Nope, not that.  Water quality?  Rain and a bit of well water from time to time.  Flushed well in case of too much plant food. 

Now........I've read where Gwen can be difficult to grow....doesn't like cold, wind, temp extremes, but this is really frustrating.    It does get quite a bit of wind, some of it being quite dry the last couple of months.

HELP!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:10:52 PM by Mark in Texas »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Gwen avocado leaf bronzing, what's up with this?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
Most of the new leaves on my avos look like that. They green up after a couple weeks.
Shane

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »
That seems very normal for avocado growth here in Hawaii. Leaves will have a nice bronze to almost tan-ish kind of hue. Then the growth will turn green.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »
That seems very normal for avocado growth here in Hawaii. Leaves will have a nice bronze to almost tan-ish kind of hue. Then the growth will turn green.

These are dark splotches.   Mine are falling off after the bronzing.  That condition or symptom is usually a precursor to what comes next - leaf necrosis.   :-[  This tree is very  precocious and holding a lot of fruit.  Being a small tree I'll drop most.

Also, no mites or other pests.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:35:12 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
Mark I think you can predict what I think.
1. A small tree you should not allow any fruit to set
2. The bronze-Redish color is typical, my Gwen does it. The Oro Negro is almost burgundy.
3. When ever that has happened to me is that there is not sufficient root system under ground to support what is going on above ground. As result the new leaves qet burned, dry, get sick and eventually the tree dies.
5. Could be another two dozen reasons  specially on a green house.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
Mark I think you can predict what I think.
1. A small tree you should not allow any fruit to set
2. The bronze-Redish color is typical, my Gwen does it. The Oro Negro is almost burgundy.
3. When ever that has happened to me is that there is not sufficient root system under ground to support what is going on above ground. As result the new leaves qet burned, dry, get sick and eventually the tree dies.
5. Could be another two dozen reasons  specially on a green house.

It's not a bronze reddish leaf color which is indicative of Guatemalan genes.  It's more of a blackish brown, a stress symptom.

I'll pull the fruit.  This thing is really precocious.  I should know better, I almost killed young grapevines letting them carry fruit on the 2nd leaf.  It really does affect the tree in a bad way. 

I think part of it too is my over-fertilizing.  I've been playing with new "stuff" lately and may have over done it.   I just flushed the soil with rain water.

Thanks for your input.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
Do you have an EC meter?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »
Do you have an EC meter?

No

I dropped 16 fruit leaving one.   Little tree originally set about 80 fruit.  Like I said, Gwen is really precocious, which is a good thing when the time is right.

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Mark, no sweat regarding the bronze color of your young leaves. They look healthy from what I see. Avocados in general....are not the fruit to grow for the feint-of-heart. haha. It sure is rewarding and fun, though! I have a 20 year old Gwen. They are not an aggressive tree (natural semi-dwarf). Often they need to be white-washed (major branches) because they do not flush-out really aggressive with major growth. The tree and fruit is fine...I have some I like better.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
Mark, no sweat regarding the bronze color of your young leaves. They look healthy from what I see. Avocados in general....are not the fruit to grow for the feint-of-heart. haha. It sure is rewarding and fun, though! I have a 20 year old Gwen. They are not an aggressive tree (natural semi-dwarf). Often they need to be white-washed (major branches) because they do not flush-out really aggressive with major growth. The tree and fruit is fine...I have some I like better.

Hi Ed, thanks for the input.  It's in a greenhouse so no UV damage there.  I think I screwed things up with too much salts, plant food.  I've flushed the hell out of it with rainwater, will probably get an EC meter as Carlos recommended.  Dropped all but a few fruit.

What other small trees would you recommend for a greenhouse?  Rincon and Hazzard are very small but the budwood did not take.  Holiday is touted as a dwarf but I'm skeptical on that one's real size.  Wurtz?  Some love it, some hate it.

Weird stuff going on with my Sharwil too.  Most of the leaves are gorgeous but there's areas where the leaves will show the same stress out browning look and black crispy margin edges.   

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »
Mark, I have a "Holiday"...it is a winner. It is a true dwarf (mine is 6 1/2 feet tall after 3 years). The fruit is huge and delicious. Not sure about how any variety adapts to Texas or greenhouse. That is your call.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
Will put that one on my must have list Ed.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
My Holiday is growing real well. It set fruit on the first year post top work. It likes it here. Fruit are jumbo egg size.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Last of the Oro Negro fruit.  3 of these dropped yesterday, so they just might be quite delicious.  Background is Davis Instruments weather station console.  Am spoiled, can't live without one now.

If you don't mind I may want to beg for some Holiday budwood come next spring.

Mark

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
Hard to believe you have ON at the end of May. That Greenhouse of yours have magical powers. When is it going to flower?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »
Hard to believe you have ON at the end of May. That Greenhouse of yours have magical powers. When is it going to flower?

Not this year.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »
Mark, please keep us up dated on taste of your O.N. I just got back from visiting friends that moved to Wimberley we got over your way on visit to Luckenboch, really liked Texas hill country. Next time I'm out there I'll have to try to come by. Good luck with your Gwen.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »
My Holiday is growing real well. It set fruit on the first year post top work. It likes it here. Fruit are jumbo egg size.

What is the season for holiday in S FL?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
Mark, please keep us up dated on taste of your O.N. I just got back from visiting friends that moved to Wimberley we got over your way on visit to Luckenboch, really liked Texas hill country. Next time I'm out there I'll have to try to come by. Good luck with your Gwen.

Darn, sorry I missed you. I live not far from Luckenbach near the infamous Willow City Loop and Enchanted Rock State Park.  Give me a PM next time you're in these parts, I'll buy you a cold one.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »

What is the season for holiday in S FL?

Ask me again in about 8 months or check the web
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk