Author Topic: Going to Puerto Rico .. any places i can visit fro tropical fruit ...  (Read 3213 times)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
I will be there hopefully tomorrow afternoon arriving at San Juan int'l . I am staying at Malibu , Loiza Puerto Rico. Will be there for 3-4 days.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Don't know if it is in your proximity, or if they accept visitors, but I have received some nice plants from Montoso Gardens, Hwy 120 Km 18.9, Box 692, Maricao, Puerto Rico.

http://www.montosogardens.com/index.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:15:54 PM by cmichael258 »
Michael

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
TARS in Mayaguez.

Dante

• puerto rico
    • View Profile
I am from Puerto Rico and you will be a long way from Maricao(2:30 hours driving from where you gonna stay). I only know of a good nursery in a town called Cabo Rojo lots of fruit plants. Its a 2 hour drive.

In Loiza you will find a lot of fried local food. While you are in the loiza town go to el yunque rain forest. Any questions just let me know .

Welcome to PR :D

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Yikes- short notice!
In our area, not a ton of tropical fruitgrowers/farms.  You will want to stop at the local stands- there is one on RT 187 right after the bridge as you get into Loiza.  Coco frios!

But there are a few stands along RT 3 as you go east from RT 188.

For trees, head down to Caguas botanical garden- there is a seller there.  Or just to see some things growing, the botanical gardens in SJ is ok (a couple interesting things).  For fruit- Go to the Rio Piedras market/mercado to find some stuff to taste.  The market in Santurce is smaller, not as much stuff.

Contact me, I have guests over Fr/Sat, but I may be able to have you over for a quick visit if you would like Sun or Mon. Not a ton of fruit to taste right now, but lots in flower or with little fruit sets.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
There may not be alot of local fruits available this time of year but look and ask for Panapen (Breadfruit), Parcha (Passionfruit), Manzano & Red bananas, Mamey (M.americana), Corazon (Custard apple), Quenepas (Spanish Lime),  Mangos and some awesome local Piņa (pineapples) that are sweet as sugar.  Good luck and report back with your findings! 
FloridaGreenMan

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I am from Puerto Rico and you will be a long way from Maricao(2:30 hours driving from where you gonna stay). I only know of a good nursery in a town called Cabo Rojo lots of fruit plants. Its a 2 hour drive.

In Loiza you will find a lot of fried local food. While you are in the loiza town go to el yunque rain forest. Any questions just let me know .

Welcome to PR :D

I second the el yunque trip (not for fruit, but it is spectacular).
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ben mango

• View Profile
Anyone know anything about Puerto Rican plantains ? And specifically dwarf ones? The bunches kind of look like fat silk figs but they way more starchy and only palatable raw when the peel turns more black than yellow.  Can also squeeze honey/ nectar out of them. When perfectly ripe yum

Joe Brancato

• Jamestown/Ward, Colorado
    • View Profile
Have a blast in Puerto Rico, it is indeed beautiful! I have a bunch of family all over the island and unfortunately haven't been there for about 10 years now... That said I'll third the trip the El Yuque, it is worth checking out. Also, if you can try to make it to one of the bioluminescent bays. There's one that you can goto in Fajardo that you take kayaks to and there's another one on the island of Vieques. I've been to the bay in Fajardo but not on Vieques. That said the island of Vieques is gorgeous and worth seeing.

Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk