Author Topic: The Bark Is Disappearing.....  (Read 6425 times)

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The Bark Is Disappearing.....
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
This is what happens to jabuticaba's when you give them too much water....

Looks like it's almost wine and jelly time.....

Ray
www.raybayer.com

[/url]

[/url]
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: The Bark Is Disappearing.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:03 PM »
I suspect those photos weren't taken in Florida?  Probably Brazilian (dream time return)?  ;) Too much water alone doesn't make them flower like that. Rains cats and dogs here and i've never seen them flower heavily like that.
Oscar

jabomano

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
Oscar.

These photos where taken today in my yard. This is just one of my jabuticabas. I probably have a total of 15 or so. I rarely fertilize this one but it's growing in soil that's constantly moist.

A little info. I'm 62 years old and I've been growing jabuticaba's since long before the majority of tropical fruit growers even heard of them. Perhaps even yourself. I grew my first fruiting trees in Pennsylvania in the 1970's and they were shipped to me via tractor trailer from Davie, Florida by Bill Rabinaeu. He charged me $35.00 per tree. I think I had 2 or 3 trucked up to me and all of them were flowering. I've written articles about tropcial fruit growing for various publications such as Fine Gardening magazine and both the rare fruit council of Florida and the California rare fruit growers.

I've been a myrciaria junkie long before it became popular....  :)

Ray

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:17 PM »
WOW amazing pic's of your Jabo trees, what ever your doing it must be right. Thanks for posting!!!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
Great pictures!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
Incredible!  Do they have any scent?

jabomano

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
They have a strong scent especially when so many are blooming. Guava like. Typical myrtaceae smell.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »
Oscar.

These photos where taken today in my yard. This is just one of my jabuticabas. I probably have a total of 15 or so. I rarely fertilize this one but it's growing in soil that's constantly moist.

A little info. I'm 62 years old and I've been growing jabuticaba's since long before the majority of tropical fruit growers even heard of them. Perhaps even yourself. I grew my first fruiting trees in Pennsylvania in the 1970's and they were shipped to me via tractor trailer from Davie, Florida by Bill Rabinaeu. He charged me $35.00 per tree. I think I had 2 or 3 trucked up to me and all of them were flowering. I've written articles about tropcial fruit growing for various publications such as Fine Gardening magazine and both the rare fruit council of Florida and the California rare fruit growers.

I've been a myrciaria junkie long before it became popular....  :)

Ray

Ray, very impressive. Good job! And thanks for the background information.
Oscar

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
Wow impresive. I hope my hybrid Jabos bloom soon like yours!
Mike

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
Nice Ray...having been a member of CRFG and RFCI from back in the '70s I do remember your articles in the newsletters.  Lots of old timers were growing "rare fruits" long ago, swapping seeds and scions between themselves that now are available in places like Home Depot.  I do recall visiting Bill in Davie, experiencing fire ants, and seeing his jaboticabas.  I came back with some stuff, mailed some back, but alas, not a jaboticaba.  My jaboticaba is about 8-9 ft tall and produces huge fruit, but never flowers like yours, gonna water it again today.  There is a photo at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0722482724091.html of some mangos at Ray's, but one photo that shows his jaboticabas.  Great photos!  Thanks for posting.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
Ray
I have never tried jaboticaba so when you are drowning in fruit let me know when the tasting table is ready and I will make a road trip!
BTW did your 100 gallon Glen produce mangoes for you yet?
Marin

jabomano

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
Hi Marin

Yep...here's a photo. After the harvest I pugged the tree waaaaay back. It's only about 7'-8' feet tall now.

Ray
www.raybayer.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
nice pics Ray!

that tree loves you as much as you love it

thanks for sharing
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »
The bark is disappearing?  Oh no, I still see at least 15 or 20% of the bark on the trunks of those trees.  The rest is freakin' obliterated by a profusion of blooms.  Nicely grown, nicely photographed.....very impressive bloom to say the least. Thanks for posting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
Ray's shots had me fooled. I thought for a moment i was back in Brazil!
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
Wow...GREAT pictures Ray!! Jaboticaba trees are really cool!! 

Love you Glenn mango tree too...lots of fruits. Lucky you!!

Hi Marin!! I just tried jaboticaba for the very first time myself when my husband too me to Excalibur last month. They sort of (a little) remind me of a not so sweet grape?? Hard to describe, but its pretty good!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
I just tried jaboticaba for the very first time myself when my husband too me to Excalibur last month. They sort of (a little) remind me of a not so sweet grape?? Hard to describe, but its pretty good!

If they were not sweet, they were not fully mature/ripe.  A fully mature, ripe jaboticaba is as sweet as grape....maybe sweeter.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Pretty photos!    Mine are currently flowering also.  I have one that just produced a lot fruit in January and is holding some new fruit.  Others look like they are getting ready to bust out in flowers.  I just burned a bunch of oak yesterday and spread a little bit of wood ash around them.   Gotta keep them watered for sure.  Thnx for the photos. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
I just tried jaboticaba for the very first time myself when my husband too me to Excalibur last month. They sort of (a little) remind me of a not so sweet grape?? Hard to describe, but its pretty good!

If they were not sweet, they were not fully mature/ripe.  A fully mature, ripe jaboticaba is as sweet as grape....maybe sweeter.

It's easy to get fooled and pick them immature as immature fruits will be fully black. You have to wait for fruits to start to soften up a little bit before picking....then they will be sweet.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
One of the indicia of maturity for me is when the fruit begins to dangle slightly from it stem.  While the fruits are held in an extended fashion directly perpendicular to the trunk, there is more chance of incomplete maturity/ripeness.  Of course when you get a really full fruit set, the fruits get wedged together and can't droop on their stem whatsoever.  Then its taste trial and error to get the picking time correct.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
One of the indicia of maturity for me is when the fruit begins to dangle slightly from it stem.  While the fruits are held in an extended fashion directly perpendicular to the trunk, there is more chance of incomplete maturity/ripeness.  Of course when you get a really full fruit set, the fruits get wedged together and can't droop on their stem whatsoever.  Then its taste trial and error to get the picking time correct.

No trial and error involved. Just squeeze the jaboticaba fruit between your fingers. Ripe fruit will give. Unripe fruit will be hard.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
For me, there is a fine line between perfectly ripe, still very firm, jaboticaba fruits and those that are slightly more ripe and beginning to have give to the touch that Oscar describes.  I find that the birds get my fruits during the beginning to soften/give stage.  This is one fruit that I can sort of get a jump on the wild life and harvest the fruits while still very firm, but oh so very sweet.  My dangling fruit method allows me to do this. Of course, if you beat the birds to them, Oscar's tactile suggestions will get you to where you want to go.
For me the firmer the fruit, the better as long as full maturity/sweetness/flavor has been acheived.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
For me, there is a fine line between perfectly ripe, still very firm, jaboticaba fruits and those that are slightly more ripe and beginning to have give to the touch that Oscar describes.  I find that the birds get my fruits during the beginning to soften/give stage.  This is one fruit that I can sort of get a jump on the wild life and harvest the fruits while still very firm, but oh so very sweet.  My dangling fruit method allows me to do this. Of course, if you beat the birds to them, Oscar's tactile suggestions will get you to where you want to go.
For me the firmer the fruit, the better as long as full maturity/sweetness/flavor has been acheived.

Throw a bird net over your tree. If you pick the fruits fully soft, then they are a lot sweeter. I never bother covering my tree because even though the birds get a very few fruits there's always more than enough for everybody to be happy.
Oscar

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
So, the jaboticaba that I left behind in Naples looked like that. I didn't know how special it was. I did give it a lot of water having learned from someone that in Brazil they get flooded frequently. I also put down a lot of potassium. I just thought they were very prolific trees.

I did have to put bird netting over them, so that the fruits would ripen. In fact, the bird netting was pulled together around the trunk so that ripe ones fell off and could be gathered at the bottom of the netting.

I had possums eating the fruit in addition to the birds.

Erica