Author Topic: Acidic soils for Most tropical fruit plants?  (Read 4506 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Acidic soils for Most tropical fruit plants?
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
I just want to confirm with your guys.

I've been trying to find out whats the correct ph for my fruit plants and what Im finding is that most seem to like  slightly acidic soils, a PH of 5-7.

Am I Wrong?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Acidic soils for Most tropical fruit plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
seems like a very broad question.   
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
Most tropicals iv grown or read up on  prefer a more acid soil but every plants needs are slightly different I think it's best to look up the needs of each specific plant if you want them to thrive :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »

Good point I agree.

Lychee
Longans
Mangos
Feijoa
Citrus
Blueberries
Miricle fruit
Acerola cherries

Does anyone know if there is a go to list for the ph of soils for plants, instead of roaming the Internet for this?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »
Tropical soils especially in high rainfall areas are frequently acid and it follows that tropical fruit trees prefer acidic soils.There are exceptions of course.There are not too many tropical fruit trees that do not enjoy a pH range of 6 to 6.5.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:29:04 AM »
PH 6-6.5 is what i'm trying to achieve but that's not easy.

I don't have a PH-meter (yet)

If i use bonemeal or dolomite then it changes the PH because of the calcium. So should these not be used?

There are many mistery's about acidic nutrients. Spagnum moss or spaghnum peat has a ph of 7 in Thailand. No idea why it is not acid. I didn't measure it though. Sulfur takes more then a year to start lowering the PH.

Tapwater has a lot of chalk (calcium) so it ruins the acidic PH.

My conclusion is that i first need to buy a ph-metre (good one).

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:21 AM »
Tropical soils especially in high rainfall areas are frequently acid and it follows that tropical fruit trees prefer acidic soils.There are exceptions of course.There are not too many tropical fruit trees that do not enjoy a pH range of 6 to 6.5.

Most of the plants on the planet like this range (some like more acidic).  Actually I don't know of any that prefer a base pH.  Anyone?

I saw an interesting chart of pH relative to nutrient uptake, the 6 to 6.5 range seemed to be the sweet spot for most helpful elements.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:45 AM »
There are many mistery's about acidic nutrients. Spagnum moss or spaghnum peat has a ph of 7 in Thailand. No idea why it is not acid. I didn't measure it though. Sulfur takes more then a year to start lowering the PH.

That does seem odd.  Do you have access to pine bark?  Sulfur is the best for long term acidification.  I like using both for new applications.  The pine bark lowers the pH in the short to medium term, and then the sulfur kicks in for the long term.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
I'm abit nervous to use things like sulfur not to mention finding a source.
Are used coffee grounds any good for reliably raising acidity comparable to other methods or does brewing take out the acidity? If it is should you use it measured and sparingly or libraly?
My roses love coffee grounds but haven't used on any tropicals yet.
Would a pine needle mulch raise acidity similar to bark? Iv heard pine is acidic but I don't know how healthy this would be since nothing grows under the pine or eucalyptus here(I'm sure there's a term for that but can't recall it)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:10:51 AM »

Good point I agree.

Lychee
Longans
Mangos
Feijoa
Citrus
Blueberries
Miricle fruit
Acerola cherries

Does anyone know if there is a go to list for the ph of soils for plants, instead of roaming the Internet for this?

Most tropical fruit trees do like a range of 6-6.5 pH. Your blueberries, and most other berries, like raspberry, and blackberry, like it a lot more acid: 4.5-5. Miracle fruit also likes acid soil, around 5, but will tolerate 6-6.5 here without any problem. Mango and jackfruit tolerate wide range of soils, including alkaline. Some plants that are native to limestone soils prefer higher pH, like canistel. It's best to see what kind of soil a plant is native to and that way see what it will prefer.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 06:14:14 AM »
Maybe I should have said about 5.7 to about 6.3 is ideal for many wet tropics and monsoonal tropics fruit trees and this is below the charts of maximum availability for many nutrients.5.5 to 6.8 is good range to fall in. My natural soil is 5.6 and acidity doesn't seem to have adverse consequences. If your soil is over 7 pH what trees would handle it ok? Temperates like peaches, pears and apples would do alright. Pomegranates and citrus would also do ok.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
Rainwater has sulphur in it. Using collected rainwater can help lower ph over time.  Humic acid drenches and adding humus or humates to soil can also help lower ph. Peat moss in soil lowers the soil ph.

PH 6-6.5 is what i'm trying to achieve but that's not easy.

I don't have a PH-meter (yet)

If i use bonemeal or dolomite then it changes the PH because of the calcium. So should these not be used?

Tapwater has a lot of chalk (calcium) so it ruins the acidic PH.

My conclusion is that i first need to buy a ph-metre (good one).

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
I have been using yards of casuarina ( needle) mulch for years.  It is a great source of nitrogen and phosphorus, and while it does inhibit seed germination when freshly fallen, after it decomposes it is like any other mulch and becomes ph neutral.

I'm abit nervous to use things like sulfur not to mention finding a source.
Are used coffee grounds any good for reliably raising acidity comparable to other methods or does brewing take out the acidity? If it is should you use it measured and sparingly or libraly?
My roses love coffee grounds but haven't used on any tropicals yet.
Would a pine needle mulch raise acidity similar to bark? Iv heard pine is acidic but I don't know how healthy this would be since nothing grows under the pine or eucalyptus here(I'm sure there's a term for that but can't recall it)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
In my experience, ph 8.0,  most  annonas do well in higher ph soils.  Black sapote, Guinup, Tamarind, nance, sapodilla, panama cherry, figs, jambolan plum all tolerate it well.

Maybe I should have said about 5.7 to about 6.3 is ideal for many wet tropics and monsoonal tropics fruit trees and this is below the charts of maximum availability for many nutrients.5.5 to 6.8 is good range to fall in. My natural soil is 5.6 and acidity doesn't seem to have adverse consequences. If your soil is over 7 pH what trees would handle it ok? Temperates like peaches, pears and apples would do alright. Pomegranates and citrus would also do ok.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk