Author Topic: Foliar Feeding  (Read 41611 times)

jb_fla

• View Profile
Foliar Feeding
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:28 AM »
Foliar feeding was brought up on the Organic Gardening post.  I was curious the various products people have had used with good results.  I have always used the Southern Ag Citrus Spray for foliar feeding.

What products, organic or not, are you using?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Foliar Feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »
Turf Pro Usa!!!
Organic and amazing product!

I use it all the time, with very little actual fertilizer put down on roots!

GOOD LUCK!

I hear the owner of the company turf pro, drinks the product to prove its safe... :P :) ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:44:26 AM »
I like Spray N Grow products.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:47:59 AM »
Been using Maxicrop seaweed foliar for 3 decades. Can't really say that it's the best product out there, but old habits die hard.  ::) If i want to add extra nitrogen i mix some fish emulsion to the mix.
Oscar
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »
Foliar feeding was brought up on the Organic Gardening post.  I was curious the various products people have had used with good results.  I have always used the Southern Ag Citrus Spray for foliar feeding.

What products, organic or not, are you using?
My big question is why not buy iron sulfate and magnesium sulfate  (Epsom salts). Both are cheap. Make foliars with them with a little soap to adhere better to leaves and such.  Are iron and magnesium chelates better for foliar feeding than the simple sulfates? I know  that Souther Ag foliar (which I have) has a few other chelated and non-chelated elements .... zinc and manganese.

Southern Ag citrus foliar seems to be chelated elements and plain old unchelated sulfates

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/chcitr.pdf
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:                  BY WT.
Total Magnesium as Mg 1.00%
Water Soluble Magnesium as Mg 1.00%
Chelated Magnesium as Mg 0.70%
Soluble Iron as Fe 1.20%
Chelated Iron as Fe 0.70%
Soluble Manganese as Mn 1.20%
Chelated Manganese as Mn 1.00%
Soluble Zinc as Zn 1.70%
Chelated as as Zn 1.50%
Combined Sultur as S 4.10%
Derived from: Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Lignin Sulfate
Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Ferrous Lignin Sulfate Chelate. Chelating agent is Lignin
Sulfate.
Guaranteed by:  Southern Agricultural Insecticides, Inc.   P.O. Box 218     Palmetto, Fl 34220
USE PRECAUTIONS
THIS PRODUCT WILL SEVERELY STAIN CONCRETE, MASONRY AND PAINTED SURFACES.  B

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
Was thinking of getting the concentrated kelp powder and making my own foliar spray, some fish emulsion. Was going to add some chelated iron and Epsom salt as well. Turf pro looks good but is costly, if I can make my own organic mix and save money all the better.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
I use a 3/4 strength mix of SoAg's Citrus Nutritional, PhytoFos, Millers 20-20-20 (with minors), Elemental Cu, Sequestrine 138Fe, and Class Act spreader/sticker.

I apply 15 gallons of it broadcast with a backpack sprayer over everything on the 15th of every month, when I get to each tree the branches stretch toward me like arms from a bad sci-fi movie...

I guess they like it!

I have noticed while using this mix over the past year and a half, I have almost completely eliminated the need for pest control...

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
PJ,  can you buy these items locally, or do you order them somewhere?

(I can attest to the efficacy of PJ's techniques, unless he was joshing me about how long some of his trees have been in the ground.)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
I use a 3/4 strength mix of SoAg's Citrus Nutritional, PhytoFos, Millers 20-20-20 (with minors), Elemental Cu, Sequestrine 138Fe, and Class Act spreader/sticker.

How much Sequestrene 138 do you add to every 5 gal of your foliar mix??  I do Sequestrene 138 soil drenches occasionally, but I think adding it to my foliar spray may be much more cost effective...

Elemental Cu for Athracnose I assume.  I also add it to my SoAg Citrus.  Do you use the full recommended Athracnose control dose in your mix?  I usually cut it in 1/4 to 1/2.  Not sure if that is the best way to do it..

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
1/2 Tbs of Sequestrine per gallon is what I am using. I get the Sequestrine from Winfield Solutions in Boynton Beach Florida, I also get the Class Act Spread/Stick from there.

I buy my SO AG on ebay in 1 Gallon, using 1Tbs per Gallon

I buy the PhytoFos online from a distrubutor in Palm Beach... I cant locate the info.. I use the one that is all Potassium, no Phosphorus. 1Tbs Gallon

The copper I use in a very dilute manner, maybe a teaspoon or less per gallon. (granular)

I am very careful not to use Horticulural Oil for at least two weeks on my citrus, and I havent seen any ill effects from that concentration as of yet!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
Is anyone concerned with using organic products? with live biology?

Most of the products I've read people posting here on this thread seem to be inorganic?

Am I mistaken in my assumptions?

In other words does any one on this thread posting so far, us a micro nutritional regiment that consists of only organic supplements and ingredients? Also with living organisms?

Thanks
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
Was thinking of getting the concentrated kelp powder and making my own foliar spray, some fish emulsion. Was going to add some chelated iron and Epsom salt as well. Turf pro looks good but is costly, if I can make my own organic mix and save money all the better.

It goes a very long way, and has free shipping if you don't have a dealer near you!!!

Turf pro last forever!!! Price wise, it's really affordable if you read the application rates, and directions for proper application.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
Thanks, ASaffron!  Does anyone use worm casting tea, or kelp powder tea for foliar spraying?
I see Fruitlovers uses a seaweed mix - also there's the fish emulsion than could be concocted
into a spray....or perhaps all of the above into one??????

And how much liquid detergent/soap per gallon to make the spray more stickable...?

MF

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
Thanks, ASaffron!  Does anyone use worm casting tea, or kelp powder tea for foliar spraying?
I see Fruitlovers uses a seaweed mix - also there's the fish emulsion than could be concocted
into a spray....or perhaps all of the above into one??????

And how much liquid detergent/soap per gallon to make the spray more stickable...?

MF

I use very little liquid soap as a sticker, around 1/2 a teaspoon in my 4 gallon sprayer. I don't use compost tea but know other folks that do and have very good results. I have used humic acid also as a foliar spray.
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
Turf Pro Usa!!!

I use it all the time, with very little actual fertilizer put down on roots!

GOOD LUCK!

I hear the owner of the company turf pro, drinks the product to prove its safe... :P :) ;D

Adam

I talked to a company rep last week and I ordered a gallon of Turf and Garden Pro and of MegaGreen. What can you tell me about MegaGreen? How often do you apply these products?

JF
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:39:26 PM by JF »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:54:20 AM »

I talked to a company rep last week and I ordered a gallon of Turf and Garden Pro and of MegaGreen. What can you tell me about MegaGreen? How often do you apply these products?

JF

I will find out asap! The megagreen is new, and i'm getting some to! soon!

Turf pro  is applied with a pump sprayer, and added to water (i think like 2 tablespoons per gallon more or less)  I always over do it, but it doesn't hurt plants, I've found...just stains leaves dark, and can stain concrete...plants always look greener, and stains on foliage go away over time.

I apply them as often as every 2weeks, depending on how much fertilizer I've put on the soil, or how rainy it is, or what season it is...but only really every 4weeks...I also always use the Fe Iron Formula, as a drench only, to correct iron deficiencies!  Its the only organic Chelated Fe Drench I know of on the market!!! You should consider this formula if you didn't order it!!!

Mention my name, and maybe you can get some kind of discount, or extra product?

The owners are local near me, and very nice people!!! They always have a bottle ($40 size) donated to our Central FL Tropical Fruit Club raffle!!! I always go crazy and buy like 10 tickets when I see it one the raffle table!!! I've won it like 2 or 3 times!!! LOL...It was meant to be i suppose.  I have so much of this stuff at my house, I won't run out for about 1.5yrs!!

I have like 3 gallons....

GOOD LUCK! PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU, if you don't like it, I may want to buy the bottle from you!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
The turf pro sounds like a great suggestion. Thanks. Does anyone think their is a downside to using a hose end sprayer? 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
The turf pro sounds like a great suggestion. Thanks. Does anyone think their is a downside to using a hose end sprayer?

Too much water ....you need one of these. I would go with a window cleaner spray bottle until I got one....which actually works great but you cannot reach higher leaves with one. But maybe you can get enough of the good stuff on lower leaves to keep the tree happy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:59:23 PM by zands »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

JF

I will find out asap! The megagreen is new, and i'm getting some to! soon!

Turf pro  is applied with a pump sprayer, and added to water (i think like 2 tablespoons per gallon more or less)  I always over do it, but it doesn't hurt plants, I've found...just stains leaves dark, and can stain concrete...plants always look greener, and stains on foliage go away over time.

I apply them as often as every 2weeks, depending on how much fertilizer I've put on the soil, or how rainy it is, or what season it is...but only really every 4weeks...I also always use the Fe Iron Formula, as a drench only, to correct iron deficiencies!  Its the only organic Chelated Fe Drench I know of on the market!!! You should consider this formula if you didn't order it!!!

Mention my name, and maybe you can get some kind of discount, or extra product?

The owners are local near me, and very nice people!!! They always have a bottle ($40 size) donated to our Central FL Tropical Fruit Club raffle!!! I always go crazy and buy like 10 tickets when I see it one the raffle table!!! I've won it like 2 or 3 times!!! LOL...It was meant to be i suppose.  I have so much of this stuff at my house, I won't run out for about 1.5yrs!!

I have like 3 gallons....

GOOD LUCK! PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU, if you don't like it, I may want to buy the bottle from you!

Every 4 week is what they told but since you have had so much sucess with it I would think you are the expert. I have a 2 or 3 gallon pump sprayer so I would put 4 to 6 tablespoon, right? Spray all my trees with it; the ones on the ground and in containers?

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »

Too much water ....you need one of these. I would go with a window cleaner spray bottle until I got one....which actually works great but you cannot reach higher leaves with one. But maybe you can get enough of the good stuff on lower leaves to keep the tree happy

Thanks sands. I will look for one. Dave

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
Turf Pro Usa!!!

The Turf Pro website has some useful information.   Regarding foliar feeding, I didn't realize that time of day made a difference:

" Generally, many more stomata are on the bottom of a leaf than on the top. Normally stomata open when light strikes the leaf in the morning and close during the night. They will close during the day when the amount of water coming up from the roots is insufficient to cover the water being lost through the stomata. Because these openings do close up as the temperature increases you need to spray in the early morning or late evening when temperatures are lower and plants are most active."

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations on a liquid soap sticker/spreader?  Any to avoid?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations on a liquid soap sticker/spreader?  Any to avoid?

I would try a organic glycerin soap. Something like this should work well http://www.vitaminherbstore.com/glycerinhandsoappeppermint12oz.aspx
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

I would try a organic glycerin soap. Something like this should work well http://www.vitaminherbstore.com/glycerinhandsoappeppermint12oz.aspx

Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. Most health foods sell it. If you are trying to repel insects you can use the Eucalyptus Dr. Bronners. All the liquid dishwashing soaps will work, but those usually have artificial fragrances, colors, etc.
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. Most health foods sell it. If you are trying to repel insects you can use the Eucalyptus Dr. Bronners. All the liquid dishwashing soaps will work, but those usually have artificial fragrances, colors, etc.
Oscar

Emmanuel Bronner???

Escaped from insane asylum and made soap!! Self proclaimed doctor as well...no real degree!!! He was wild!!! completely blind as well in his later years, and almost totally blind even before throughout his earlier life.

All one! All one! or none!  hahaha!

He is a real character, there is a documentary about him I just saw...stream it on youtube or netflix...but bronners soap does it all i'm sure!

thanks for the info Oscar.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com