Author Topic: Açaí Palm Salt Tolerance  (Read 1095 times)

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
Açaí Palm Salt Tolerance
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
Good morning,

I just recently purchased an açaí Palm here in central Florida. I’m planning some landscaping around my house and trying to decide where to put it. I live in Merritt Island and I’m on an artisan well, which unfortunately, tends to have a high salt content. Most of my tropical plants do fine in this water (coconut, royal poinciana, crotons, etc). I would like to plant the açaí Palm in the front where my sprinkler system runs but I can’t seem to find any information on its salt tolerance. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Açaí Palm Salt Tolerance
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
I haven't seen any info on that either, but it's not a seashore palm, so I suspect that its tolerance to salt is limited.

You often see places listing it as needing well-drained soils, but I don't believe that; in its native habitat it grows in wet areas, and is frequently inundated. It has a root system designed for anchoring in boggy ground.  Maybe put it in a place where rainwater tends to collect so that you don't have to water as much with well water?

Do remember that the berries are primarily seed, and that - despite appearances - the pulp layer around them doesn't have a berry taste at all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:52:52 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
I live on a canal so I could plant it close to the water, though it is a bit brackish. I wondered the same thing about “wet feet” as I see pictures of it growing right on the river. Guess all I can do is plant it and see how it does. Thanks for the response.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
The Euterpe oleracea, Clumping Assai' (I don't find the symbol and accent mark list here.), grows in the flood plain near the mouth of the Amazon, where the base of the palms gets flooded for several months, and in the opposite season gets high and dry.  So they are not boggy all year around.

The Euterpe precatoria, Solitary Assai', is from the Central Amazon region.  It can grow also in flood plains, but these tend to be hill-country creek valleys, and the palms are often at the lower edges of the hills.

They are all extremely sensitive to cold winds, and are killed in the upper frost temperatures.
Har

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
I live on a canal so I could plant it close to the water, though it is a bit brackish. I wondered the same thing about “wet feet” as I see pictures of it growing right on the river. Guess all I can do is plant it and see how it does. Thanks for the response.

I'd imagine that sitting in ground constantly saturated by brackish water would be the worst option of all.  :Þ
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:43:17 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
You might want to contact Anthony at Acaipalmseeds.com

While this tells us nothing about salt tolerance, here is some info he shared re growing acai:

"Even my customers on Oahu noted it took more like 5 years to get fruit compared to 3 that is noted in the Amazon.  The acai is from equatorial spot, so when you are getting 50s and even 40s at night and the Hawaiians 60s...the trees are going more dormant.  Remember not to try to overexpose to sun in the first couple years.  Those miami august days where rain comes after lunch with overcast, that's what they are used to year round.  So the florida spring sun is too intense."