Author Topic: Dekpon  (Read 6151 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Dekpon
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
In a post last December or perhaps early January, I posted that the Dekopons from my tree did not have much of a taste.  Ryan L. a member of this board wrote that the fruit had to remain on the tree until late in February.  I waited until yesterday March 1, to begin  picking some more Dekopon and they were very deliciously sweet.  What a difference the extra 60 daystime made. - Millet

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
Re: Dekpon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
I read a while back that in Japan Dekopon fruits are stored for several months in a temperature controlled environment after harvesting.  I seem to remember something about them being exceedingly tart upon harvesting and requiring time to mellow.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
When I bought a box of 6 Dekopon, some of them had navels and some didn't. The ones that had navels were nearly rotten through to the inside, but in the center, not the entire fruit. It may be the storing can have it's limits? The fruit looked beautiful on the outside, there really was no indication it was rotten.

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:02:46 AM »
I have not tasted Dekopon, so I can't opine personally, but as I read more opinions, I am convinced that Dekopon is a good citrus but probably it is not the super star that some articles say. Maybe not better than the best mandarines?
I would bet that it is so.
In any case, all the above are conjectures, since I have not tasted it. Of course, I can be totally wrong.

In other forum I read a while back the opinion of a expert fruit grower saying that, in his opinion, the many times vaunted "arriving of a super citrus called Dekopon" was a hype. Time will say.

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:27:46 AM »
After eating about 30 of the 3" diameter Dekopon/Sumo fruit over 3 weeks, I have the opinion that they are definitely worth growing. Some of the fruit were a little past prime ripeness, but still OK. On the other hand, I just cut open a Hamlin orange that was harvested about 2 months ago prior to a freeze and has been sitting in the very cool garage since then. Better fruit. Bigger, perfectly balanced sweet/tart,  rich flavor with 10% pineapple taste, and almost seedless. Wish there were 29 more. I wonder why they are not grown and sold commercially around here.....

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
I have been eating them for years.   Both California and Florida grown.  As with any fruit/citrus, the quality can vary based on location and climate however when at their best, they are most likely the best of the mandarins  (possibly including all oranges and tangerines ) commercially available.
- Rob

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »
You must be kidding about Hamlin. Purely a processing variety, usually blended with early Valencias here. It's a low acid, very pale juice with an insipid flavour.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
After eating about 30 of the 3" diameter Dekopon/Sumo fruit over 3 weeks, I have the opinion that they are definitely worth growing. Some of the fruit were a little past prime ripeness, but still OK. On the other hand, I just cut open a Hamlin orange that was harvested about 2 months ago prior to a freeze and has been sitting in the very cool garage since then. Better fruit. Bigger, perfectly balanced sweet/tart,  rich flavor with 10% pineapple taste, and almost seedless. Wish there were 29 more. I wonder why they are not grown and sold commercially around here.....

really, 10%??  Please do tell how you came to this percentage.

I may seem petty however it makes much more sense to just say , "a slight pineapple taste" or something similar.  Oh, if you want a good juicing orange, as that is what the Hamlin is (a juicing orange), with a pineapple taste, best to go with a pineapple orange.
- Rob

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »
That fruit quality can and does vary depending on lots of things is a given. The Hamlins that I am specifically referring to are from scions that I grafted 6 years ago on a cold hardy, mature citrus here. I regret that other Hamlins elsewhere have not had the same outstanding quality where you have gotten your Hamlin report cards. It may be that very hot Summers, followed by some long waiting in Winter with lots of 30 to 50 degree weather, and finally eating the fruit in February/March after the fruit have been picked and allowed to age without more sap being supplied....has made for a more concentrated flavor. It works here year after year. On the other hand, the South LA folks with mature "Louisiana Sweet" (Hamlin) orange trees in their back yards value them greatly, as do the neighbors and relatives that get to share the bounty there. They are grafted to Carrizo Citrange there, which makes a big tree with big fruit, although this r/s is not as cold hardy as TF. The 3 gallon tree that I bought for graftwood and then planted has grown well for the 6 years w/o being allowed to fruit, since I wanted it to get thicker sooner for greater cold hardiness. As for the pineapple taste component percentage "10%", trying to quantify is inexact when you don't have a lab or the budget to pay one.........The store bought,older, riper Sumo fruit seemed to have lost rather than gained in flavor quality, unlike the Hamlin oranges here. Just like satsumas ordinarily do over time.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:16:32 PM »
I find that the Dekopon when properly grown and held on the tree for awhile can be extremely sweet.  So sweet that it can be out of balance with the acid content.  However, if one likes sweet oranges, Dekopon can be the fruit for you.  It is a tree well worth growing in my opinion. - Millet

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
im ordering a Dekopan in april for my birthday. Hopefully ill have the same luck with it.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
I think something worth mentioning is how easy they are to grow. They set fruit pretty easily and are a constant grower throughout the season, require pruning early on. Put them in the hottest area of your greenhouse and they are sure to ripen properly, sample fruit starting late January.

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
just ordered mine from Harris. I hope they send a good one.  Next on the list will be Xie shan. 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
I planted a dekopan a couple months ago. Now that it is spring it is really growing super fast. Its a small plant now though. So not expecting fruit for a couple years. Thanks for the info and convo on it.  It is inspiring to try to grow new variety!

Also, in Merritt Island Home Depot last month I saw a bunch of dekopan for sale in big-sized containers.  It won't be long until the dekopan is considered common rather than what it is now, rare.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a great variety for Central Florida.  I hear the pro/cons for it.  I'll report in a few years on how it rates. 

So, far it is difficult to beat Dancy and Honey Murcott in the 'tangerine' category!   Dancy super produces for me reliably every year.  Easy to peel and delicious.  the Honey Murcott is of course sweeter but harder to peel.    Can't wait to try the dekopan! 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
Dekopon is diefinetly the sweetest citrus I've ever tasted. - Millet

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
Its one of the best fruits ive tasted, i am not fortunate enough to be able to buy a dekopon but i did find a seed in a fruit im growing out but it is growing extremely slow this past month, so it looks like ill be driving to WF over the next couple years.
ill post a few pics of its progress even though i did not start this thread it seems like a good place for it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:27:52 PM by JustJoshinya »

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:47 PM »
Based on brix readings the Cal Honey is sweeter.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
I picked a first Dekopon fruit from a container tree (I also have an in ground Dekopon tree).  Because it is the summer months the peel did not turn completely orange.I let the fruit remain hanging on the tree for approximately a month or so after it appeared to be ripe.  I did not store it as  commercial Dekopon fruit are done.  It was good tasting, sweet but not as sweet as some I have eaten in the past.  Of course young citrus trees of any variety do not begin to produce their best fruit until they get some age to them.  My 2.5 year old in ground Dekopon presently has a dozen or so fruit hanging on it. - Millet

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »
I have been eating them for years.   Both California and Florida grown.  As with any fruit/citrus, the quality can vary based on location and climate however when at their best, they are most likely the best of the mandarins  (possibly including all oranges and tangerines ) commercially available.

Are you including the Page mandarin in that comparison. I read that when it's at its peak it's one of the sweetest and best tasting with a unique/complex flavors of all the mandarins. I'm interested in hearing your opinion on how the Page compares to the Dekopon.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
I know, i always ask the same questions. But... how much hardiness is on this plant?
Satsuma/clementine/orange/grpefruit range?
I guess that there are few plants around and they must be treasured enough to not have many datas, but still...
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Andrew, to preface my opinion:  I have harvested my own dekopans for 2 seasons (3rd coming early next year) and before that I bought quite a few from the grocery store. I have had a page tree for about 6-7 years now? I cant remember exactly but its about that. I have bought page fruit from the grocery store as well. Page is a very good flavored fruit, light and a little tangy, juicy and sweet if ripened with warmer nights (~50F) has a great rind color. Page is a good yielder but the fruit can be seedy and small, fruit thinning is important. Its growth habit is upright and tall, and must be frequently pruned. it is definitely worth growing.

Dekopan stands out in the crowd because of a few things. Its large size, lack of seeds, very soft segment membranes and its ornamental appeal are probably its biggest advantages. Don't get me wrong the fruits flavor is also very good but, I would consider the fruit flavor to be a 8.5 where page would be a 9. Dekopan is also a surprisingly good yielder, the first season the tree fruited(one year after i got it) I got abound 10 fruit on a very small tree,. Overall I would say all things considered dekopan is a better tree to own.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
Ryan your absolutely correct about the ability of Dekopon to set fruit.  My in ground tree which presently is 4-feet tall and wide, has a dozen fruit on it. It is a vigorous trees for sure. - Millet                         

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply RyanL. That was a great comparison between the Dekopan and Page that I was looking for. I thought they were going to be more similar in taste but I'm sure that I'll enjoy both trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk