Author Topic: Interesting Story about these two cold hardy avocados.  (Read 12893 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Re: Interesting Story about these two cold hardy avocados.
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
Nice Joe.  Did you ever try doing this and leaving a little leaf on the tip of scions?

for seedling grafting, I always leave the growing tip of the tiny scionwood intact.

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
Joe, excellent and extremely interesting (and to me) important work that you've presented.  I've been on a similar, if less sophisticated and successful, quest to successfully grow avocados here in Sacramento (Roseville suburb), where we often see the wild temp drops, particularly with these artic inversions we've been getting of late.  I came upon the Duke story (and even held dialogue with it its progenitor and others related to it).  I've made several trips to Oroville to take cuttings and search for seeds.  I've only found one half-eaten avocado from in my visits.  The 2nd set of cuttings I took were grafted onto 2 or 3 box store 5G trees I purchased.  The trees were not healthy due to the winter they withstood, and wild several of the grafts took, the trees ultimately died.  I'm now banking on my Fuerte, Mexicola, and Bacon to survive the transplant I just subjected them to in my front yard.  These trees just produced their first fruit (the Mexicola was excellent) last year.  I had them in large ~50-gal containers for 5+ years.

At any rate, I'll be following your work very closely.

Thanks for sharing.
-naysen

You're welcome! You've been to the very tree that I took most of my seedlings from! On the 3rd week of August, I watch the wind forecast and wait for a very windy night and then long before daylight, I would be at the base of the Duke Train Station Tree collecting fruits knocked by the wind.  Just holler if you want cuttings of Lynn's Cold Hardy Hass. They're selling their house within a couple of months and I have access to cuttings between now and the house gets sold.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:21:20 AM by JoeReal »

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »
Joe, excellent and extremely interesting (and to me) important work that you've presented.  I've been on a similar, if less sophisticated and successful, quest to successfully grow avocados here in Sacramento (Roseville suburb), where we often see the wild temp drops, particularly with these artic inversions we've been getting of late.  I came upon the Duke story (and even held dialogue with it its progenitor and others related to it).  I've made several trips to Oroville to take cuttings and search for seeds.  I've only found one half-eaten avocado from in my visits.  The 2nd set of cuttings I took were grafted onto 2 or 3 box store 5G trees I purchased.  The trees were not healthy due to the winter they withstood, and wild several of the grafts took, the trees ultimately died.  I'm now banking on my Fuerte, Mexicola, and Bacon to survive the transplant I just subjected them to in my front yard.  These trees just produced their first fruit (the Mexicola was excellent) last year.  I had them in large ~50-gal containers for 5+ years.

Thanks for sharing.
-naysen

You're welcome! You've been to the very tree that I took most of my seedlings from! At the 3rd week of August, I watch the wind forecast and wait for a very windy night and then long before daylight, I would be at the base of the Duke Train Station Tree collecting fruits knocked by the wind.  Just holler if you want cuttings of Lynn's Cold Hardy Hass. They're selling their house within a couple of months and I have access to cuttings between now and the house gets sold.
August huh? I'll have to make a trip up there. It's too close not too.... :)
-Kris

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
-naysen

You're welcome! You've been to the very tree that I took most of my seedlings from! At the 3rd week of August, I watch the wind forecast and wait for a very windy night and then long before daylight, I would be at the base of the Duke Train Station Tree collecting fruits knocked by the wind.  Just holler if you want cuttings of Lynn's Cold Hardy Hass. They're selling their house within a couple of months and I have access to cuttings between now and the house gets sold.

Leave some for me? Please....

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
-naysen

Leave some for me? Please....
Your secret to success is out, I want in!
I've seen pictures of the tree though and I don't see how I could strip it clean :P I just want a few seeds to experiment myself. I've tried grafting for the first time this year and am amazed at how simple it really is. Would be cool to keep this trees lineage alive.
-Kris

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
First of all Welcome to the forum Joe, I'am a CRFG member on the Central Coast of Ca. Thanks for posting the interesting story of Duke and Arivipa it was nice to read the story of those avocado's again! I've tasted your fruit wines some years back I believe it was the Pomona CRFG conference on Friday night and they were excellent!!!
looking forward to your post's. I thought it was you in earlier posts but didn't know for sure until I read your intro-post and i see you made wine for Edgar V. out of dragon fruit must have been interesting for sure! 8) 

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
First of all Welcome to the forum Joe, I'am a CRFG member on the Central Coast of Ca. Thanks for posting the interesting story of Duke and Arivipa it was nice to read the story of those avocado's again! I've tasted your fruit wines some years back I believe it was the Pomona CRFG conference on Friday night and they were excellent!!!
looking forward to your post's. I thought it was you in earlier posts but didn't know for sure until I read your intro-post and i see you made wine for Edgar V. out of dragon fruit must have been interesting for sure! 8)

Thanks Scott! When you're in our area, be sure to drop by for a fruit wine tasting!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Joe, are you planing on going to CRFG-F.O.F. in L.A. if you do i'll make sure to introduce myself to you.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »
Thanks Scott! When you're in our area, be sure to drop by for a fruit wine tasting!

Very cool.  I judged a persimmon dry white that was excellent at our San Antonio Wine Guild Comp.

Folks don't know it but my area has gone big time with the vineyard ops and wineries, it's the Napa of the southwest.  Must be a new vineyard and winery going in every month and a wine bistro or tasting room on every corner of town.   You may have heard of Jack Keller who has a website and is in our guild.  Jack has probably made wine out of everything.  Rumor has it he even tried St. Augustine grass.  Didn't like the vegetative taste.  ;D  Here's some of his recipes.  https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipes.asp

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »

Very cool.  I judged a persimmon dry white that was excellent at our San Antonio Wine Guild Comp.

Folks don't know it but my area has gone big time with the vineyard ops and wineries, it's the Napa of the southwest.  Must be a new vineyard and winery going in every month and a wine bistro or tasting room on every corner of town.   You may have heard of Jack Keller who has a website and is in our guild.  Jack has probably made wine out of everything.  Rumor has it he even tried St. Augustine grass.  Didn't like the vegetative taste.  ;D  Here's some of his recipes.  https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipes.asp

I have made more wines than Jack Keller and won more awards than Jack Keller. To date, I made more than 700 different kinds of wines. I started making wine when I was a kid in the tropics, and have access to much more diverse kinds of fruits that Jack Keller don't have access to.  For example I made wines from Durian, Lipote, Baligang, Aratiles, Sineguelas, Karamay, Kamias, coffee fruits (the pulp, not the beans), cacao fruits (pulp, not the beans) ....

But when someone asks me about how to make wine, I always refer them to Jack Keller's website as a good starting point.  Once they master that part of making wine and if they're still interested, I put them to the next level of winemaking.

Jack Keller's general winemaking can be summarized as a cane sugar wine flavored with hints of fruits. Most recipes use little amounts of fruits and almost all the alcohol are from cane sugar and diluted with lots of water.  My purpose of making wine is to cram as much fruits into a bottle of wine. So I use between 3-6 lbs of fruits to a bottle of wine, while Jack's recipes uses the same amount of fruits to a gallon with added water and lots of cane sugar, and wine acids for balance. Jack Keller's recipes make delicious wines though, but it could be better more flavorful and aromatic if you had just used almost pure fruits with no added water especially if you're producing the fruits.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
I have made more wines than Jack Keller and won more awards than Jack Keller. To date, I made more than 700 different kinds of wines. I started making wine when I was a kid in the tropics, and have access to much more diverse kinds of fruits that Jack Keller don't have access to.  For example I made wines from Durian, Lipote, Baligang, Aratiles, Sineguelas, Karamay, Kamias, coffee fruits (the pulp, not the beans), cacao fruits (pulp, not the beans) ....

But when someone asks me about how to make wine, I always refer them to Jack Keller's website as a good starting point.  Once they master that part of making wine and if they're still interested, I put them to the next level of winemaking.

Jack Keller's general winemaking can be summarized as a cane sugar wine flavored with hints of fruits. Most recipes use little amounts of fruits and almost all the alcohol are from cane sugar and diluted with lots of water.  My purpose of making wine is to cram as much fruits into a bottle of wine. So I use between 3-6 lbs of fruits to a bottle of wine, while Jack's recipes uses the same amount of fruits to a gallon with added water and lots of cane sugar, and wine acids for balance. Jack Keller's recipes make delicious wines though, but it could be better more flavorful and aromatic if you had just used almost pure fruits with no added water especially if you're producing the fruits.

Sounds wonderful.

My days of making fruit wines are over and that was back in the 60's with such stuff as using tangerines, gardenia flowers, wild Mustang grapes and stuff.  I prefer vinifera grapes and sell to amateur winemakers, about 9 varietals.  Have the best Merlot clone sourced from Beaucastel, etc.   My new semi-dry (back sweetened) rose' made out of Mouvedre and Grenache just won a medal at the T.V. Munson comp.  Tastes just like strawberries.   Here's some 2 pounders from last year.

Getting a bit off topic here.  Be cool to discuss this on another forum.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
Enjoyed reading your posts. It would definitely be a blessing to those of us in the colder climate zones, if you can come up with a good tasting cold hardy avocado.
P.S. I sent you a P.M.
Thanks

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
Enjoyed reading your posts. It would definitely be a blessing to those of us in the colder climate zones, if you can come up with a good tasting cold hardy avocado.
P.S. I sent you a P.M.
Thanks

Nice visiting with you Randall.

First of two Jan Boyce grafts pushing.

2-3 months late blooming and the only tree in bloom but Reed is finally setting a bunch of fruit. Yay!   :)

Note the chair on the left regarding the size of this tree!