Author Topic: Best tasting Passionfruit available in the US?  (Read 27968 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Passionfruit available in the US?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
I eat them out of hand, the seeds, juice, and mushy pulp all together. Also, mix them into drinks and fruit bowls. To store passion fruit, the seeds are separated, and the pulp and juice can be frozen.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
Mike, is that name rosewater? the new passion .
Passionfruit are under rated.The enny variety is like a 3vsided pyramid heavy and full and tastes amazing.Rosewster and rich passionfruit and it must the finest I have ever tried.Better than pandora and the Panamas.A new edulis at the market behind the expensive mangoes are really good but humbled by the best flavicarpas.They need to make it big in America I think.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Do you guys just slurp down the whole slimy mess of flesh and seeds like an oyster?  I love the taste of passionfruit but the appearance and texture is repulsive to me.

Yup - slurp it down. The seeds are a detractor but it's still worth it.

I have shared with friends who've never tried it and they crunched up the seeds. LOL

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:50 PM »
Hi, do you guys/gals know anything about the Purple Tiger Passion fruit? I saw it at Armstrong Garden Center. I heard it was a hybrid of Ruby Glow and P. quadrangularis. 

I just want to know:
1. does it fruit?
2. i saw somewhere that it needs to be cross pollinated.  But with what? I only have Frederick plant.

thanks.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
Hi, do you guys/gals know anything about the Purple Tiger Passion fruit? I saw it at Armstrong Garden Center. I heard it was a hybrid of Ruby Glow and P. quadrangularis. 

I just want to know:
1. does it fruit?
2. i saw somewhere that it needs to be cross pollinated.  But with what? I only have Frederick plant.

thanks.

I would think any Passiflora would do it.

seaspearo

• Fremont, CA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
Found this passion fruit nursery,  seems they have quite a selection. Also surprised they located in Oregon.
https://gkplants.com/search?type=product&q=Passion#

seaspearo

• Fremont, CA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
Any one has Passionflora Maccain? Would love to buy or trade few cuts, heard it is bigger and sweeter.
https://www.logees.com/passion-flower-mccain-passiflora-edulis.html

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_passionfruit

As far as I'm concerned these variety of passionfruit are by far the sweetest,very little sour taste at all
Added bonus is being able to eat unripe fruit as a vegetable addition to my sour and stew
Really beautiful flower as well
Mine are ripening at the moment so seed available shortly

Next best is a small purple variety.These are just eaten out of hand and rarely even make it to the house

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »

I just want to know:
1. does it fruit?

thanks.

I believe that would be passiflora decaisneana. The fruit are incredibly sweet but they do need to be cross pollinated with another passiflora.

HappyWhemGardening

• San Leandro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2022, 07:38:02 AM »
Barath, would you be able to send me a rooted cutting of your Sweet Yellow lilikoi? I will pay for it. I'm in SF Bay Area.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »
P. laurifolia has been fruiting well for me. While I have 2 mature plants, have got fruits with only 1 plant flowering. Not sure if other passiflora have pollinated it, but think it is self fertile when mature. Hand pollination appears to help a lot.

Laurifolia fruits are very nice, flavor is unique. Fragrant, flowery, and sweet, with some complexity. No sourness or muskiness, like with edulis.

Going back and forth between edulis/flavicarpa and laurifolia is a fun endeavor, and they mix well together.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »
P. laurifolia fruit

Panama Passion (Not sure if this is Panama Red. Excellent. From PIN)

Gold (Large oval fruits, not sure if Brazilian Gold. Very good)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »
Do you guys just slurp down the whole slimy mess of flesh and seeds like an oyster?  I love the taste of passionfruit but the appearance and texture is repulsive to me.

Occasionally I slowly sip on it like a lemon.

Usually, I Mix the seeds/pulp/juice in water and stir and add sweeteners. Very similar to making lemonaid.

In Colombia at cafes, I would order the drink and they gave it quite a bit more foam head which I preferred but not sure what they used other than the blender and perhaps more sugar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk