Author Topic: Picking Mangosteens  (Read 5542 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Picking Mangosteens
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:46 AM »
I have shown pix of large and small leafed mangosteens and some that are more cold tolerant than others well here is 2 mangosteen fruit types that the enthusiast can tell apart.Borneo small leafed mangosteens that have more cold and sun tolerance than most have more elongate fruit towards the tip and only a small terminal star.Most thai forms are round, with big stars.This large fruited thai with intermediate leaves is next to a Borneo small leafed type.

Unfortunately I could only get a few of the highly fancied borneo small leafed types as the whole crop was sent to Sydney.I have eaten a few and only have one seed so far as they are almost seedless.All mangosteen types have a distinctive taste.The borneo ones here are exquisite and the thai ones are way better than that.Both are better than the common Malays I showed last week.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Mangosteens
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
Hi Mike,

When you wrote "more cold tolerant" do you have any idea how much that is in terms of lowest tolerant temperature?

Tomas

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
Tomas that one was one of 2 selected by the farmer for cold tolerance and there are only about 300 mature trees and all are on one farm.The trees are like a pyramid in shape.
They handle 4 celcius with no signs of stress to even new foliage.They have not been pushed to the limit.Large leaf mangosteen trees struggle at 10 celcius and are likely to be killed by 5 celcius.The typical thai mangosteens with intermediate sized leaves seem to be intermediate in cold tolerance.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »
Hi Mike,

When you wrote "more cold tolerant" do you have any idea how much that is in terms of lowest tolerant temperature?

Tomas

Tomas
There was a large fruiting Mangosteen tree growing and fruiting in the ground in Lighthpouse Point which is just 10 miles south of your location.  I actually saw the tree and have a photo of it. Later on I will write up a short article about it.
FGM

FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:20 AM »

The lack of borneo small leafed mangosteen seeds is enough to drive a man to drink.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:44:15 AM »
Mike,
Them mangosteens are starting to arrive on the supermarket shelves at €10.00 for 4 and they don't look as vibrant as yours :(

I recognize that juice can...we have coconut water, lychee, and tamarind for sale at the supermarket...never tried one, cause them have been there like forever :o
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
They handle 4 celcius with no signs of stress to even new foliage.They have not been pushed to the limit...

Mike, this is very exciting news.  :)   4 C = 39.2 F.  This means that there is a possibility to grow these in South Florida!  Possibly even grafting them to more alkaline-tolerant rootstocks or is this small-leaf mangosteen more adaptable to alkaline soil?  Now the question is how to get them over here.  :)
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
They handle 4 celcius with no signs of stress to even new foliage.They have not been pushed to the limit...

Mike, this is very exciting news.  :)   4 C = 39.2 F.  This means that there is a possibility to grow these in South Florida!  Possibly even grafting them to more alkaline-tolerant rootstocks or is this small-leaf mangosteen more adaptable to alkaline soil?  Now the question is how to get them over here.  :)
[/b]

If only there way a way! Lol. If you have your seed permits already, there is a way. You will only need to find someone kind enough to eat pounds and pounds of the Borneo Small Leafed mangosteen to get a few seeds to mail to you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
I have teams of people eating mangosteen around the clock and they are coming up empty on the seed front.I have made promises I need to keep and don't want to send the common thai mangosteen seeds.In just about every thai fruit there is a big seed.No wonder they are common.The large leafed borneo like my tree are real sooks and meant for equatorial shade.They burn in the sun and wind and freak out below 10c.There is a real taste difference between the fruit as well.I'll be back on job of mowing through borneo small leafed types' fruit again today hoping for a seed.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »
I have teams of people eating mangosteen around the clock and they are coming up empty on the seed front.I have made promises I need to keep and don't want to send the common thai mangosteen seeds.In just about every thai fruit there is a big seed.No wonder they are common.The large leafed borneo like my tree are real sooks and meant for equatorial shade.They burn in the sun and wind and freak out below 10c.There is a real taste difference between the fruit as well.I'll be back on job of mowing through borneo small leafed types' fruit again today hoping for a seed.

Good luck finding those seeds, and don't forget who wished you good luck, by the way!!! ;)

Jaime

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
I wish I had some of my forum colleague chums to help out as at the moment the eating teams in my garage rotating between jackfruit and mangosteen have had enough.It's getting ugly in that sweat shop and some might go bananas.jez I will remember but at the moment I am chopping up 2 seeds into 20 parts.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
I wish I had some of my forum colleague chums to help out as at the moment the eating teams

I wouldn't mind to be added to a fruit eating team!  ;D
Anyway 4C is awesome as cold hardiness. Seems that you in Australia have a talent for finding cold-hardy versions of the tropical fruit tree... durian, passifloras, and now this.
Maybe someday we will also get a cold hardy coconut! :)
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »

I got some nice borneo small leafed fruit again and will have to eat plenty in my search for seeds.They are bigger fruit than the standard mangosteens.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
Wish I could be there to help eat- those are nice looking fruits.

Kevin

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
I could use you CPN as my regular fruit eaters have thrown their hands in the air and said enough.They are all xmas shopping instead.These whoppers are 150g to 200g and I will have to tank up all by myself.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »
I could use you CPN as my regular fruit eaters have thrown their hands in the air and said enough.They are all xmas shopping instead.These whoppers are 150g to 200g and I will have to tank up all by myself.

I'd love to help and pig out on mangosteen, but at the same time I can't really feel that sorry for you- the only mangosteens available in Colorado at this point are in cans or dried.  Even with my artificial setup in the basement the last of the guavas ripened 2 weeks ago and the Acerolas in front of windows are now falling off before fully ripe...  The only truly "fresh" fruit I have are miracle fruit, which do work wonders on making some of the store-bought fruit taste a bit better but they aren't much to eat by themselves.  It was 6 degrees Fahrenheit (-14.4C) when I woke up this morning, so I can't expect much from my yard at this point...  Guess I need to take a trip to Australia.