Author Topic: Need recommendation for container soil mix recipe  (Read 3722 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Need recommendation for container soil mix recipe
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
Can someone recommend a soil mix recipe for containers of 15 gal and up for growing citrus? I have tried commercial cactus potting soil but lost a nice calamondin as a result (root rot). I also tried Talpa's gritty mix on a few small trees but I need to re-pot 5 large trees and the gritty mix takes way too much work to prepare. Any suggestions?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Need recommendation for container soil mix recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
For years I've been using a 50:50 mix of peat moss and cedar bark mulch, plus another 10% or so of perlite.  All from Home Depot.  I'm happy with it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
About two years ago I switched to Miracle Grow Garden Soil and perlite (NOT Miracle Grow Potting Soil).   - Millet

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:56:03 PM »
I might switch to this as I have enough trees now that mixing up soil is becoming a chore.  I remembered that you had mentioned the miracle grow soil, but the last time I was at the store they had a few different varieties of Garden Soil.  I assume you are using the "plain" one?   I see "Flowers", "Moisture Control", etc.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:33:59 PM by brian »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
cactus mix works well for tropicals and citrus. Add some more perlite to it if it's holding too much moisture.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
What proportion of garden soil or cactus mix to perlite? I tried the cactus mix (without perlite) but it did retain too much water.
What do you think of Talpa's gritty mix and 5-1-1- mix?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »
Brian, the Miracle Grow Garden Soil that I use is the one in the yellow and green bag.  It has pictures of flowers and vegetables on it.  - Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
Talpa's gritty mix seems to be OK for very small trees, but its main problem is that it is just much to heavy for anything else.   Any mix that has good drainage and good aeration should be OK for container citrus. - Millet

lorewren

• Philadelphia, PA z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
Millet, What ratio do you use for the garden soil:perlite mix?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »
90 percent Miracle Grow Garden soil and 10 percent perlite. I also have some trees in 100 percent M.G. Garden soil.  They have been in the straight mix for about 2 years, and are doing well. - Millet

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »
Millet, do you no longer use CHC plus peat moss?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
I had success with CHC and peat, and had many trees growing in it.  Some of the good things about Miracle Garden soil and perlite, is that it is a much easier medium to make and also easier to locate.  Originally, I got the recommendation about Miracle Garden Soil from Lazz. - Millet

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »
hello,

Haven't checked in for a while now and I've got a lot to catch up on!! Millet, hope you are doing great!!!!

So you changed growing mediums on me again ey  ;) I've gone from CHC in the 1st forum where I met you and am still using cedar peat and dirt. My trees are doing good and survived the collapse of yet another greenhouse this winter! I'm going on 3 now and I converted it to a shade house this summer which so far is working great!!!

I'm curious to hear why the change from cedar peat to miracle grow/perlite.

Best,

Roberto

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:53:30 PM »
Robby, it is great to see you here again.  I liked CHC and peat as a mix, and still do.  I tried Miracle Grow Garden Soil (MGGS) due to a recommendation from a friend who is a great citrus grower.  I now have perhaps 20+- container trees in it.   Some for 3 years now.  All is good, with no problems so far.  MGGS and perlite certainly are much easier to locate than CHC.  You should come around here more often, your an asset. - Millet

lorewren

• Philadelphia, PA z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »
Does the Miracle Grow soil hold water too much?  how often do you water Millet?  I've always thought that garden soil isn't good for pot culture because the drainage wasn't good enough.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
lorewren,  Miracle Grow Garden Soil, and Miracle Grow Potting Soil are two different things.  The MG potting soil is basically a bag of pure peat moss and  does hold a LOT of water.  The MG Gardensoil is quite a bit different.  The Gardensoil's drainage is very good and actually rather rapid, it provides plenty of root zone aeration, an holds enough water to take care all of a citrus tree's needs. For some years now I have had a lot of trees growing in it with good success.  I like it, and feel comfortable recommending it. - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk