Author Topic: Loquat from seed  (Read 4487 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Loquat from seed
« on: October 20, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
I have loquats growing from seed. How long from seed to fruit for loquats?
My name is Cindy

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat from seed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 12:15:10 AM »
For me it was about 6 years, BUT 2/4 trees have never fruited and have grown too big... so i am thinking they never will fruit.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »
how well do loquat take graft?  i have a handle full of seedlings too.. would love to graft some scion

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 06:44:50 AM »
My loquat seedling took about 3 years to give me a just a few fruits, after 6 (this year) it exploded.
Regards,

Gary

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
Do I need to bring my Loquat seedlings inside for the winter? I know they will survive outside when larger but as 3" seedlings do I need to bring them inside?
My name is Cindy

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
I moved mine inside the greenhouse for the winter.

Fruit Monster

• Australia, Eastern Seaboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 05:00:21 AM »

Hi Seawalnut.  What are the most tropical plants you're growing in Romania? That is really zone pushing at 45 degrees north!
Do you do a mix of outdoor growing and greenhouse growing?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »

Hi Seawalnut.  What are the most tropical plants you're growing in Romania? That is really zone pushing at 45 degrees north!
Tropicals im keeping them in the greenhouse,guavas,somme unknown specie of inga and achacha from Costa Rica,gumuchil,sugar apples,cherimoya.
Outdoor i grow kaki,paw paws ( asimina triloba) ,american persimmons,red love apples pink, fleshed pears,wild almonds,somme walnuts that make giant nuts,cherryes ,plums,apricots,peaches ,figs ,kiwi-small cold hardy ones,paulownia-for wood,fejoa,ugni,strawberry guava and manny otthers.
Right now im still building the greenhouse heating system,its the first winter so i have small plants at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:51:47 AM by SeaWalnut »

Fruit Monster

• Australia, Eastern Seaboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:20:22 AM »

Tropicals im keeping them in the greenhouse,guavas,somme unknown specie of inga and achacha from Costa Rica,gumuchil,sugar apples,cherimoya.
Outdoor i grow kaki,paw paws ( asimina triloba) ,american persimmons,red love apples pink, fleshed pears,wild almonds,somme walnuts that make giant nuts,cherryes ,plums,apricots,peaches ,figs ,kiwi-small cold hardy ones,paulownia-for wood,fejoa,ugni,strawberry guava and manny otthers.
Right now im still building the greenhouse heating system,its the first winter so i have small plants at the moment.

A great collection of fruits. As much as I love tropicals it's really difficult to go past a high quality Cherry or Apricot Asimina Triloba is a great choice for cool climates as it offers a tropical fruit experience in a cold climate.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »

This is how big one of my loquats had to get until it produced its first flower cluster just now. Its about 7 years old.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »

This is how big one of my loquats had to get until it produced its first flower cluster just now. Its about 7 years old.
I sure hope I don't have to wait 7 years for it to bloom.
My name is Cindy

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:17:25 PM by sc4001992 »

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
If you graft loquats to a seedling, you will get fruits in 1-2yrs. I have flowers now on my grafted budwoods from early 2019. Since its a nice big scion wood (3/4"diameter) grafted on a large seedling plant, I will let it go to fruit so I can taste it in spring time. I have many loquat trees and the fruits are very tasty.

Cindy, let me know when you get the grafting down and I will send you some different varieties of loquats (orange flesh & white flesh).

Kaz
Thanks, I will. I just grafted one of my inside citrus plants. Keep your fingers crossed.
My name is Cindy

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
My loquat seedling took about 3 years to give me a just a few fruits, after 6 (this year) it exploded.

Update... the "explosion" of blooms resulted in only a few fruits taking despite my twice daily playing honey bee with a fluffy makeup brush swishing in the flowers to pollinate them. Unfortunate. I'll give it a few more seasons to fruit (it will be 9 years old by then) if not it gets the chop.

Regards,

Gary

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 06:30:27 AM »

Update... the "explosion" of blooms resulted in only a few fruits taking despite my twice daily playing honey bee with a fluffy makeup brush swishing in the flowers to pollinate them. Unfortunate. I'll give it a few more seasons to fruit (it will be 9 years old by then) if not it gets the chop.

I should have budwood of good varieties by then.

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
have 1 loquat tree grown from seed by the time it fruited i had to use a ladder to get the fruit lol (about 6-7 years) they are alot more vigorous than the grafted ones

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
I bought a champagne loquat a couple months back and it's 2 ft tall. Already holding what appears to be a dozen fruit. This variety any good? Loquats are very popular as landscape trees in my area but I don't know anyone with this variety
-Kris

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
Do I need to bring my Loquat seedlings inside for the winter? I know they will survive outside when larger but as 3" seedlings do I need to bring them inside?
for zone 8, even the seedlings may survive the winter, but it is gambling. Better keep them inside the first winter, or at least give them some shelter from wind, frost and snow. Btw, loquat cannot take too much pruning. I apologize to my little tree, it is now standing dry as a support for climbers, after i pruned it too much because its fruit was too small and all seeds. Still sorry, the loquat is a beloved tree, it speaks to you with hundreds of flowers smelling like cinnamon even from the beginning of December in north hemisphere.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
Cindy,
Here's some seedling loquats I planted, one planted 6 yrs ago, has excellent tasting fruits.
The second seedlings(4 in pots) are 4 yrs old and it has very good tasting fruits.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 08:38:35 PM »
Gotta get some seeds myself!
Cheers!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 11:33:49 PM »
What I like to do with my seedling trees which grow in the ground from fruit seeds I throw in the yard is to let them grow to about 3-4 ft tall. Once the branch starts to separate/multiple branches, then graft some named varieties on the seedling tree. I usually leave just one central branch of the seedling tree growing until it fruits. But the other branches that have been grafted will have fruits in 1-2yrs after you graft them.

I still have some varieties available, cuttings/scions, so if anyone wants to graft a few of their seedling tree branches, send me a PM. You can see my For Sale offer for pricing.

Here's one of my best tasting seedling tree which I named KT1-Kosmic.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:44:48 PM by sc4001992 »