Author Topic: Recent white zapote grafts  (Read 1740 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Recent white zapote grafts
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
I few month ago I did several grafts. On vigorous trees the success rate was about 80%, on a weak tree the success was 0%.
The new cultivars I have grafted are: Walton, Nies and C. tetrameria #6. Has anyone tasted those cultivars?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Recent white zapote grafts
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
C. tetrameria #6  (there also is a #7, both results of a taste test by CRFG) is a good fruit, different from the white sapotes.  Here in California it is called a yellow sapote.  I have dwarfed C. tetrameria greatly by putting it on C. casimiroa edulis (white sapote) rootstock. Your future growth on the scion could be limited.  I have two C. tetrameria trees (#6 & #7) grafted on white sapote rootstock and they are 15 years old and only 6 ft tall.  C. tetrameria grafted on its own rootstock makes the tree 15 ft tall.  C. tetrameria is not a huge tree like C. casimiroa.  Fruit is large, seeds are much smaller than the white sapote. I do have Walton and Nies, but have not tasted the fruit yet.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Recent white zapote grafts
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
Felipe, I have tasted Nies and Walton off my graft's this year and the Walton was excellent. I'd say mid of the road White Sapote taste not overly rich but good flavor. Nies, if I'm remembering right because i only had a few was had pointed shape towards bottom with good flavor.I have #6 & #7 but they are grafted on w. sapote rootstock and are dwarf's as Jack had mentioned but have not fruited for me yet.
I do have a seedling yellow Sapote from Jack's fruit and it fruited first time this year and was excellent , very yellow flesh and rich taste.
I just whip & tongue graft all my sapotes but interesting how you veneered grafted yours! What ever works that's great!