Author Topic: Spirit of '76 mango  (Read 15729 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Spirit of '76 mango
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Whcih mangos would you describe as bulletproof?
Oscar

Your question has caused me to re-think my use of the word "bulletproof" as it relates to mangoes.  I think it would be better to class mangoes by level of resistance.....as I think there may not be a mango that is truly bulletproof.  And, what is highly resistant here may not be somewhere else to some disease pathogen that is more prevelent elsewhere or that takes a slightly different form.

That being said, there are many mangoes that enjoy very high resistance to disease here in Florida. And when I use the word resistance, I mean not only that the tree doesn't get the disease at all, but that even if it gets the disease, it still sets a full crop. I think all mangoes have some susceptability to powdery mildew and anthracnose.  It just comes with the territory. But, with a nice helathy tree, the more resistant will not be adversley afftected overall.

Most of the SE Asian culivars show very high disease resistance. One that sticks out in my mind is Brahm Kai Mea (or Meu) depending on who you ask and have the name translated by. I think I did a list or responded to a list labelling the relative disease resistance that I have expereinced with various cultivars.  Maybe someone has that post from Garden Web......or maybe I can find it and post it here. Of the Indian type mangoes, of course, Tommy Atkins is as resistant as they come.  I have only a small token tree grown in a shady spot that barely produces.  I have it just to say I have a complete collection.  However, my neigbhbors have 7 or 8 trees and they produce faithfully and without any need for spraying beautiful, but unfortunately inferior fruits.  I am very impressed with the disease resistance of Pickering and also of Tebow/Young (despite its flavor being overhyped).  Carrie and Florigon are some others that do have high resistance here. I am sure I am forgetting a particularly resistant mango or three as I sit here this morning. I'll update later after I check for that list I was referring to.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »
Whcih mangos would you describe as bulletproof?
Oscar

Your question has caused me to re-think my use of the word "bulletproof" as it relates to mangoes.  I think it would be better to class mangoes by level of resistance.....as I think there may not be a mango that is truly bulletproof.  And, what is highly resistant here may not be somewhere else to some disease pathogen that is more prevelent elsewhere or that takes a slightly different form.

That being said, there are many mangoes that enjoy very high resistance to disease here in Florida. And when I use the word resistance, I mean not only that the tree doesn't get the disease at all, but that even if it gets the disease, it still sets a full crop. I think all mangoes have some susceptability to powdery mildew and anthracnose.  It just comes with the territory. But, with a nice helathy tree, the more resistant will not be adversley afftected overall.

Most of the SE Asian culivars show very high disease resistance. One that sticks out in my mind is Brahm Kai Mea (or Meu) depending on who you ask and have the name translated by. I think I did a list or responded to a list labelling the relative disease resistance that I have expereinced with various cultivars.  Maybe someone has that post from Garden Web......or maybe I can find it and post it here. Of the Indian type mangoes, of course, Tommy Atkins is as resistant as they come.  I have only a small token tree grown in a shady spot that barely produces.  I have it just to say I have a complete collection.  However, my neigbhbors have 7 or 8 trees and they produce faithfully and without any need for spraying beautiful, but unfortunately inferior fruits.  I am very impressed with the disease resistance of Pickering and also of Tebow/Young (despite its flavor being overhyped).  Carrie and Florigon are some others that do have high resistance here. I am sure I am forgetting a particularly resistant mango or three as I sit here this morning. I'll update later after I check for that list I was referring to.

Harry

HI Harry, thanks for the info. Yes would be nice to see your full list of resistant mango cultivars. With our heavy rains they can really take a beating here. BTW, there is no correct english writing for Thai words, as they are all transliterations from Thai pronounciations. That is why there will be many different versions. Also in different areas of Thailand they will pronounce the words differently.
Oscar

Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
I tasted my first one of these yesterday- was pretty good-had a very tart side to it.
The mango was huge.

Does anyone else, who tasted this, notice the tartness ?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
I tasted my first one of these yesterday- was pretty good-had a very tart side to it.
The mango was huge.

Should not have been very tart.  The ones I have tasted this year have been a bit watered down taste wise.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
The mango was huge.

Should not have been very tart.  The ones I have tasted this year have been a bit watered down taste wise.

It was soft when I tried it- I have the other one and I'm letting it ripen more. Maybe I tried the mango when it wasn't ripe enough?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Ya Spirit of 76 isn't really tart; I'm guessing what you tried might have been a little under-ripe.

natsgarden123

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
I'll report back:  mango #2 is still on the counter :)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
What's the productivity and disease resistance of the Spirit of 76?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
Here we are years later...7 years after my original post :)

The tree planted at my father's house has been a success. It is a moderate-vigorous grower and a reliable fruit-setter. Not too heavy but consistent. The mangoes I have had off of it have been intensely sweet with an orange-ish undertone (reminds me a bit of the very sweet Lemon Zest). It is a delicious mango. The descriptions given by others on this thread about the fruit and tree were spot-on!

Here's the tree (pic taken this week) being pruned by my dad and one of the fruits next to a Natural Mystic dragon fruit.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:27:36 PM by BluePalm »
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:08 PM »
What could be better than to go full circle on the question and the answer so many years later from a guy who grew it and lived it

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »
I'm a sucker for the follow-ups! Love them.
-Chris

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »
When I wanted to buy a Spirit of 76 tree, my usual source, Excalibur, said they don't propagate it because there's no demand, and apparently they don't buy trees from ZHPP(Zill).  But I'm pretty sure ZHPP grows them so it should still be available at other nurseries.  (And I've only heard good things about this mango.  If not top-tier, pretty close.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:04:15 AM by johnb51 »
John

Fish Have Feelings

• South Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
I BOUGHT ONE TODAY AT EXCALIBUR as a housewarming gift for a friend. They have SO MANY 5 to 7 foot tall mangoes in 3 gallons. Its a root bound block party.
BEEN READING FORUM FOR YEARS -RECENTLY REGISTERED

17 Mango cultivars at home, plus dozens of anonnas, avocados, guavas, lychees, and other fruits.

Hobbyist beekeeper and chicken person, amateur ecologist and pomologist. Easily amused but I probably like plants and animals more than people.