Author Topic: Seedling mango getting too tall.  (Read 3041 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Seedling mango getting too tall.
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
I planted a seed from a Senegal mango. It's 6' tall in this little pot. I'm not sure of its hardiness, so I'm hesitant to put it in the ground. I'll upcan it to a 15-gallon container this week, should I cut it down a bit to promote lateral branching, or just leave it alone?
Thanks,

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling mango getting too tall.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
Prune it if u want lateral branches. It will take awhile for it to produce fruits, have u ever thinking about grafting a name variety onto it? anyways nice healthy seedling.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
I have a few other grafted mango trees that I'm hoping to get fruits from. This one was planted just for fun, I know seedlings take a while to produce. The fruit was really good BTW.
Thanks,
Trung

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
That is a nice healthy looking seedling. I would cut it 1/3 to 1/2 the way down to promote branching. If it's not a polyembrionic seed, I would graft something to it. Chances are it will not be as good as the parent tree. Cleft grafting seems to be the easiest to take.

E.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:19:07 PM »
Nice plant, it looks super healthy. Wether to prune it and at what height would probably depend on what and where it will ultimately live. If you are going to put it into the ground or keep it in a pot and want low fruiting branches, I would top it to induce lateral branching. I prefer to graft my trees with a named variety but you might get lucky if you see this tree through to fruition.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
It looks as if its suffering from lack of sunlight and being in that pot.  The trunk is mighty thin for its height and the internodal spacing looks mighty stretched, even for a seedling.   I would cut it back, put in a larger pot or in the ground and make sure it gets as much sun as possible.

If you have the room and patience,  growing it to fruiting is not a bad thing.  I have tasted many a great seedling fruit just as i have tasted many a garbage seedling fruit.  Hey, if you let it grow till fruiting and the fruit is not hood, you can always top work it at that point.
- Rob

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
Where do you let your Mango? Is it exposed to the direct sun? Plants that like sun when are grown in shade grow high.....
Or maybe it's a particular cultivar of Mangos?
Normally this form is more common in Avocado than Mango......I would prune it where you want the formation of the main branchs !!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »
hello hello hello hello hello....there is an echo in this room...
- Rob

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
Thanks all,
I'll cut off the top 1/3 and put it in the ground, and protect it best I can this coming winter.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
Thanks all,
I'll cut off the top 1/3 and put it in the ground, and protect it best I can this coming winter.

Since you are coming up to your winter season, I would plant it out now and wait till spring warm up to cut it back.  Let it put its focus on establising its roots for now.
- Rob

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
It looks as if its suffering from lack of sunlight and being in that pot.  The trunk is mighty thin for its height and the internodal spacing looks mighty stretched, even for a seedling.   I would cut it back, put in a larger pot or in the ground and make sure it gets as much sun as possible.

If you have the room and patience,  growing it to fruiting is not a bad thing.  I have tasted many a great seedling fruit just as i have tasted many a garbage seedling fruit.  Hey, if you let it grow till fruiting and the fruit is not hood, you can always top work it at that point.

Yes, it looks like it needs more sun or it will continue to be a lanky tree.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.