Author Topic: Should I Prune My Persian Lime?  (Read 851 times)

bakemeacake

• Florida, US
    • View Profile
Should I Prune My Persian Lime?
« on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »
Hey guys,

I am new here. I started gardening last season and have been building more and more interest ever since. Being that we're stuck at home during this quarantine, I have been extra busy with my gardening. That being said, I bought a Persian lime tree last season (about 16" tall at the time) and I am trying to figure out if I need to be pruning it to ensure it grows into a proper tree. It has about doubled in size over the past year and is growing and looks healthy to me. However, neat the soil, it has a split which sends about half of the growth to each size. Is this ideal? I see everyone else's lime trees that have a straight up shoot to a bushy tree top. It might be too late to achieve this shape, but i wanted to post here to see if I could do anything as of now. All the research I did yielded information about pruning tall, mature trees that are bearing fruit. Any advice would be appreciated.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Prune My Persian Lime?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:16:11 PM »
Should not prune.  Your tree needs all the leaves it has until it is a good bit larger.

bakemeacake

• Florida, US
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
Should not prune.  Your tree needs all the leaves it has until it is a good bit larger.

Okay, so as my tree continues to grow, will it always have a split that close to the soil? Or will it somehow grow a straight shoot up? As it is now, it looks to be growing more horizontal than vertical...

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 02:05:10 PM »
If you don’t like low crotch remove 1 side now.

I would remove the big side to get a nice tapered trunk.
Stake the left over.