Author Topic: Experience with seed Germination?  (Read 3670 times)

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
Experience with seed Germination?
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I have had jabo seeds in small pots now for about a month and was wondering how long it can or usually takes for them to germinate, IF they are going to?  This is literally my first attempt at growing trees from a seed so I am anxious because it is all the unknown for me.  I have vexator, Hybrid, and Grimal seeds.  I planted them in sterile potting soil and basically followed the instructions given, shade and moist soil.  what is your experience in terms of how long it usually takes, when should I be worried? lol
thanks
Ken

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Experience with seed Germination?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:44:34 PM »
My formula is this: the percentage of seed germination is inversely proportional to the amount of anxiety and worry about it.  ;) So the more relaxed you are the greater the germination. ;D
BTW, those are all good seeds, so they will sprout, don't sweat it. Seeds are like tea kettles, the more you look at them the slower the water will boil.
My main suggestion to all is if you want good germination and afterwards succestful plants, don't buy just 5 seeds. Best to get them in packs of 10 or 25, because not all of them will sprout. And even the ones that sprout, some of them will be runts and should be disposed of. You want to keep the most vigorous plants as they will be the most productive and disease and insect free.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »
...because not all of them will sprout. And even the ones that sprout, some of them will be runts and should be disposed of....

This is interesting to me: I have some very small pitangas from seeds... 1 year and they almost dont grow anything, maybe I should repot them...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »
Oscar, thanks!
Yes i literally go out there every day and look at them and stare and fuss over it.  My wife says im Obsessive compulsive, probably! anyway ill just hope for the best, i just order more seeds from you but i only ordered a small quantity, should have done 10 of each, oh well.  anyway thanks for the reassurance, years from now ill look back and laugh at being such a noobie.  And i am really starting to develope a Jabo collecting problem lol.

My formula is this: the percentage of seed germination is inversely proportional to the amount of anxiety and worry about it.  ;) So the more relaxed you are the greater the germination. ;D
BTW, those are all good seeds, so they will sprout, don't sweat it. Seeds are like tea kettles, the more you look at them the slower the water will boil.
My main suggestion to all is if you want good germination and afterwards succestful plants, don't buy just 5 seeds. Best to get them in packs of 10 or 25, because not all of them will sprout. And even the ones that sprout, some of them will be runts and should be disposed of. You want to keep the most vigorous plants as they will be the most productive and disease and insect free.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »
The problem checking them every day and or several times a day is that you also tend to overwater at the same time....

No germination yet.....lets give them a little more water....I am guilty also , ruined lots of seeds this way..
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:41:11 AM »
Ditto Ken & Luc! I don't just glance when checking - I actually get real close to the soil to try and see if I could see any sign of germination!!  ;D
kimi

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
The problem checking them every day and or several times a day is that you also tend to overwater at the same time....

No germination yet.....lets give them a little more water....I am guilty also , ruined lots of seeds this way..

Me too, specially guabiju seeds: they hate overwater!
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
It's so true, you really want to over water, but I am trying to really follow the instructions lol.  This is my first time so maybe after this ill chill out, maybe.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
A good method that I have used for several decades  for seeds larger that ~ 1/8 " is the baggie method; a common method of sprouting palm seed. Seeds are placed in a zip lock baggie with coir or peat moss which had been soaked but had all excess water squeezed out [ perlite might be added]. The baggie can be folded over or partially zipped to allow some air exchange. This can then be place in a warm spot [ many place on top of a water heater ] & can be examined for sprouting. Once sprouted they can be separated &  potted on .  This is especially good for plants that sprout a deep tap root first.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
I have read of this method often but for some reason haven't yet got the confidence to try it myself. There's this persisting apprehension of handling rooted seeds - I'm too fearful of damaging roots and losing a plant this way. 

To be honest - I'm even too scared to separate mango seedlings!! When giving them away, I always tell people to do so but have yet to do it myself.
kimi

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
GO figure, I go out today to check my trees, which I do everyday and underneath my black suriname cherry are tons of little sprouts.  So basically the seeds I have nothing to do with are sprouting and the ones I am caring for are not lol.  I think I am going to try the plastic bag method for the next batch of seeds coming, just to try something different.  Do you guys keep the bag outside where its warm, bc my home is pretty cool?

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
No root damage as you remove as soon as you see the sprout begin. Then place in a smallish pot so as not to waste mix & bench material. Once you can tell that all is well you can move to a more proper size.
GOOD LUCK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk