Author Topic: Grafting Tape  (Read 1424 times)

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Tape
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2024, 09:10:08 PM »
Okay. Thought rootstock needed heat to wake up. Will adjust. Had them in partial shade before. It just rotted. I've had 85% success rate in a hot ass greenhouse during May with overhead watering every day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 10:12:50 PM by SanDiegoCherimoya »

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2024, 01:24:17 PM »
Buddy tape needs to be removed after the union heals.

Brad, what happens if you don't remove the buddy tape?

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2024, 03:33:05 PM »
So I regrafted everything with different tape. Bagged them, and put the potts in the sun 🌞 to wake these mfers up. Will keep you updated.

I think the bags is the reason of your graft failure.  It cook the scion.  What I would do is using the cherimoya leaf and partially wrap around the scion and tie the leaf to the scion to provide the shade and heat.  The idea is to prevent direct sun light, but still have the heat and brightness.  Leave the plant in the sun to keep the rootstock active.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2024, 05:22:32 PM »
Buddy tape needs to be removed after the union heals.

Brad, what happens if you don't remove the buddy tape?

If you dont remove it, it can girdle the scion and especially the graft union if there is multipke layers of buddy tape. The stuff is very strong and does not degrade and fall off on it's own.  Some plants may be able to grow out of it and bust out but i have had lots of pieces get girdled and choked even from just not removing it soon enough.

Here is a picture of a graft done in early December.  It made its first flush and now I have removed the buddy tape last week.  And loosened the flagging tape.  The flagging tape comes off clean and will go back on easily.  It won't stick to itself like electrical tape or grafting tapes.  And it won't dry up and Crack like a rubber band.  I keep re adjusting the tightness on the flagging tape for up to 6 months to keep the graft from failing before the union is strong.  Top working trees makes scions grow really fast and if the tape is not on the union long enough, the grafts can break in the wind at the union.

The timing is really important too.  All my avocados get done in December.  I have not started doing cherimoya yet.  I will wait until end of March to do them. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 05:30:33 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2024, 06:06:10 PM »
That is helpful. Thanks!

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2024, 09:41:11 PM »
My original graft failure was in the shade with a different type of parafilm product. I wanted to warm everything up for a couple days after a rain. Since that pic, Ive moved the pots to a partial sun area and removed the bags. I have scions pushing buds already. I grafted too early in the season and the idea was to trick rootstock to push buds with greenhouse effect. I understand your concerns and how young annona like partial shade.

So I regrafted everything with different tape. Bagged them, and put the potts in the sun 🌞 to wake these mfers up. Will keep you updated.

I think the bags is the reason of your graft failure.  It cook the scion.  What I would do is using the cherimoya leaf and partially wrap around the scion and tie the leaf to the scion to provide the shade and heat.  The idea is to prevent direct sun light, but still have the heat and brightness.  Leave the plant in the sun to keep the rootstock active.

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2024, 09:45:50 PM »
And just a side note. I've seen the only successful way of grafting off-season annona's already budded out to be with bagging method.

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2024, 09:55:35 PM »
You want to talk to me like a kook, but the reality is that ground temperatures determine growth. So if I can get a black pot heating up in the sun then I will get earlier growth. Seen it many times trying to plant potted plants too early. They will grow faster in pots just from the roots being warmer.