Author Topic: How to grow a potted mango tree Information.  (Read 22870 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How to grow a potted mango tree Information.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Thanks Greg...Frostproof happens to be only about a 30 minute drive from me  :)...that is where I buy my Frost Cloths actually!!

2manytoyz

• Merritt Island, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
I need some help on Mango tree’s that you can grow in pots. I have been for years giving seminars on growing mangos in the yard or grove, but now would like to teach about the varieties that can be grown in pots and indoors.

Joe,  the wife and I attended your seminar at Rockledge Gardens on Saturday... Excellent informantion, thank you!  I had only eaten store bought mangos in prior years.  Stringy, flavor rather bland.  Didn't understand why some people go nuts over this fruit.  I then bought some from S. Merritt Island.  Wow, what a difference.  We attended the seminar, and had planned on buying a couple of trees right then, but with such a good turn out, it was a feeding frenzy when it came to picking out trees.  I got with Steve at Rock Grdns and put in an order instead.

I've since shared this forum's address with friends/coworkers.  I'll make the copies of you pamphlets too.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Robert & Dawn
Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
Repotting questions for my Pickering
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
Hey everyone, hope your start to the spring is going well!  I just repotted my 3g Pickering into a 7g container using a high quality soil from Lukas Nursery in Oviedo, FL.  I also added another half bag of Perlite so i think drainage is going to be good.  I just want to know how often should I be watering the new container and also how long to keep out of full sun.  Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chad

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Repotting questions for my Pickering
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »
Hey everyone, hope your start to the spring is going well!  I just repotted my 3g Pickering into a 7g container using a high quality soil from Lukas Nursery in Oviedo, FL.  I also added another half bag of Perlite so i think drainage is going to be good.  I just want to know how often should I be watering the new container and also how long to keep out of full sun.  Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chad

Water it, lift the pot and make a mental note. Water again when the pot feels light to the lift, BUT, I think you're worrying about it too much.  It's my understanding that mango can be waterlogged for some time with no problem.  I planted a small Pickering (and Mallika) out of a 3 gallon pot into a RootBuilder pot last September and the thing is going nuts.  It's got a huge flush of flowers and had about 5 flushes of leaf sets such that the newer leaves are much larger than the previous ones (that's a good sign).  Here more...... http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg96609#msg96609

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
Just curious--how do you potted-plant-growers keep the roots from going into the ground, while still allowing holes for drainage? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Elevate it on a 16" x 16" or 20" x 20" 1 inch thick paver block.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers