Author Topic: Sweetest pineapple?  (Read 29938 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pineapple?
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
The bottoms of the pineapples are definitely sweeter according to the Brix readings I've taken. Was your pineapple leaning over?

Simon

Yeah a bit, but the fruit was very yellow, and I figured I'd take it in before vermin got to it.
Regards,

Gary

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
I bought a pineapple at World's store and it tasted like an apple. It was crunchy too. Have anybody else tasted one before?

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
if it were a small type of pineapple kinda like the queen pineapple there sweet and have a crunchy taste to them was the crown on it have spines on it ?
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
Nope, no spines but the tops were pulled out in the center, unlike the other brand pineapples they had.  The tag saying 'Gold' but it was more white than gold inside. Found some pics.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
The Tropical Golds are good pineapples but still a notch below the White Sugarloaf. There are supposed to be sweeter non patented varieties out there like Josapine that are even sweeter but I can find any plants for sale.

Simon

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2017, 01:07:02 AM »
Frankie's is really sugary sweet low acid..

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
Ben, thanks for the pictures. Where did you get the Meli Kalima? I have tried to order but they don't ship them anymore.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:03:42 AM by Galka »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »
Hi Galka, here on Oahu, I did not have it shipped

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2017, 02:37:40 AM »
I see, lucky you.  ;) I wish I could visit Oahu and get some of those best tasting pineapples. Maybe one day.  ::)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
I see, lucky you.  ;) I wish I could visit Oahu and get some of those best tasting pineapples. Maybe one day.  ::)

I've been to quite a few of the islands and never tasted a pineapple as good as my home grown.  Even the road side food trucks seem to sell them a bit on the  green side.

Having said that a couple of Sugarloaf plantlets will be here soon.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
Mark, have you tasted the Meli Kalima? My home grown are very good too.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »

No sir.  Have a link to a site that sells plantlets?

Thanks

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

No sir.  Have a link to a site that sells plantlets?

Thanks

Would be nice to get some to grow but they don't allow it cause its Patented when you buy the pineapple it come's with out the crown...

people use to be able to order the pineapple and have it shipped to them but they stop doing that sometime back

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Best way to get Meli Kalima aside from flying to Hawaii is to ask a friend there to mail it to you. It will need to be overnight.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
Best way to get Meli Kalima aside from flying to Hawaii is to ask a friend there to mail it to you. It will need to be overnight.

Simon
Simon, I wish I had a friend there. The only way for me is to ask somebody (a friend) who is going to visit Hawaii and can bring it for me. 

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
Don't get me wrong i would love to try out the Meli Kalima one day. But if I'm not able to grow it myself its not worth the hassle to find someone to buy some than have to get it checked out by the USDA at the airport than if it does get passed to be able to ship I'm sure sending it over night would cost alot just to be able to try it out but not able to grow it

I guess that could be why the guy stopped selling them online to much of a hassle to deal with

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
I just cut open the Maui Gold and it was very bad. It was not sweet at all. It had a Brix of 13% and was very bland and had almost no pineapple flavor. To top it off the core was very fibrous so I would consider it non edible.

I'm hoping I just got a really bad fruit. I bet the fruit ordered online is much higher quality.

Simon
Yeah, you got a bad fruit.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
Reminds me of the hype surrounding the Coor's beer craze back in the 70's which was only available in Colorado.  Texas is a BIG state but that didn't stop some from driving to Colorado to get cases of it to bring back.  Now that it's available is just one of those "meh" thingies.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
I just cut open the Maui Gold and it was very bad. It was not sweet at all. It had a Brix of 13% and was very bland and had almost no pineapple flavor. To top it off the core was very fibrous so I would consider it non edible.

I'm hoping I just got a really bad fruit. I bet the fruit ordered online is much higher quality.

Simon

Thanks for the input Oscar, I trust your knowledge. Now I'm curious how good a good Maui Gold can get? I'm very tempted to buy the $30 pineapple to find out but I can't stop thinking about the White Sugarloafs from Jude.

Evildeadguy, I completely agree with your statement. Although I would love to try the Meli Kalima, it would not be worth the effort for me because even if it turned out to be the the best tasting pineapple, I would knot be able to grow it.

Mark, I can't wait till you get your White Sugarloaf, did you order fruit or just the plants?

I recently re read one of the White Jade threads and someone, I believe it was Adam, mentioned that the White Jade is like the Sugarloaf but better! I should find out by next year.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
Simon, I tasted the Maui Gold last night. The taste was excellent, a little crunchy, good balance of sweet and sour, different.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
Brix readings for different types of fruits

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2017, 03:30:24 AM »

Simon

Thanks for the input Oscar, I trust your knowledge. Now I'm curious how good a good Maui Gold can get? I'm very tempted to buy the $30 pineapple to find out but I can't stop thinking about the White Sugarloafs from Jude.

Evildeadguy, I completely agree with your statement. Although I would love to try the Meli Kalima, it would not be worth the effort for me because even if it turned out to be the the best tasting pineapple, I would knot be able to grow it.

Mark, I can't wait till you get your White Sugarloaf, did you order fruit or just the plants?

I recently re read one of the White Jade threads and someone, I believe it was Adam, mentioned that the White Jade is like the Sugarloaf but better! I should find out by next year.

Simon
Maui Gold is good, but not excellent like white Sugarloaf.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
Bought plantlets from Wellsprings Garden.  This variety addiction is getting as bad as my avocado addiction.  Time to back off!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:43 AM »
the thing with meli kalima is its good but its not worth it to most people. frank supplies some of the local grocery stores and the price in the store is maybe 6.99/lb, (he sell his for $5/lb at his farm) In the stores they just sit and go bad. i see this happens with jackfruit for him too, he sells for around $2.50/lb then most people are not wanting to buy a $50 jackfruit

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2017, 06:46:57 AM »
sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone tell me what is going on with my pineapple plant? i dont want to lose my pineapple plant.i have 4 plants and this is my second attempt at growing them.The previous plant got destroyed by ants and mealybug

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24417.msg287958#msg287958