Author Topic: Bark inversion tutorial  (Read 7995 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Bark inversion tutorial
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:23:41 AM »
I have done this on many fruit trees not only citruses  and had excellent results.

I have successfully used it on citruses. It can control the growth of citruses without pruning and it induces early blooming for citruses grown from seeds. The major advantage is that the tree size doesn’t grow vigorously and so you don’t need to prune for about 4 years and then you do light trimming and another bark inversion again. You do this when you want to maintain the size of the tree, citruses specially because if you prune citruses, especially snipping off the terminals, you would have severe reduction in fruit production.

Bark inversion has been practiced by utility folks in Canada to maintain the roadside trees so they only need to prune the trees once a while instead of every year and saves a lot on labor.

Basically, you remove a ring of bark near the base of the tree on the main trunk, pull it out the ring of bark, turn it upside down and put it back and seal with parafilm. It reverses the polarity of the cambium in the ring of bark, limiting but not stopping the supply of nutrients into the roots. Without big roots, the tree remain small and so it concentrates the photosynthates into fruit production, improving the quality of the fruits. Similar in effect to mild girdling done on grapes or on selected branches of citruses.

Here’s a tutorial that I did to illustrate what Bark Inversion is all about. Make sure to read the descriptions on each picture as it has very good explanations and minor discussions about each step.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153177092416804.1073741952.762176803&type=1&l=594794f248

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Bark inversion tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:14 AM »
Impressive! Thank you very much!  ;D

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
Interesting. I have yet to have a seedling take more than 5 years to begin fruiting. I wonder if this would speed it up even more? Even my Ruby red grapefruit starting blooming at 5 years old.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:16:23 AM »
Joe,
What is the youngest (smallest) seedling you have done this on and did it decrease the time to fruiting?

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for posting! What is the failure rate one should expect?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
Thats interesting but its something only verry experienced people can do.If id try that myself ,i have no doubt that i would kill the tree .

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »
SeaWalnut: no pain, no gain  :) Just pick a tree and give it a try! Or buy a cheap tree at a sale and try...

Joe: what is the impact of the bark inversion on the long term health of the tree? (I don't think the canadian power companies really care much about that aspect...) Doe it make the tree more susceptible to diseases? And how about drought tolerance? If the bark inversion restricts flow of nutrients it must also restrict the flow of other beneficial chemicals, no? I'm just wondering about pros and cons and what to watch out for... This seems really interesting for potted citrus, maybe I don't need to chase that elusive flying dragon rootstock after all  ;D

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
Nah, pretty easy if you use a piece of tape & a sharp blade.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
Very cool. Thanks!
Shane

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
I'll try this on some of my blood clementines when they get big enough.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
Excellent tutorial, thanks!

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »
Will try one very soon. For me this is a boon to keep all my trees in check. I now have the finest in mandarins tree’s and as they grow I can managed them easier, thanks Joe!!

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
Joe,
What is the youngest (smallest) seedling you have done this on and did it decrease the time to fruiting?

Two year old avocado seedling. It bloomed on the third year instead of 7th or 8th. Maybe I got lucky?

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »
SeaWalnut: no pain, no gain  :) Just pick a tree and give it a try! Or buy a cheap tree at a sale and try...

Joe: what is the impact of the bark inversion on the long term health of the tree? (I don't think the canadian power companies really care much about that aspect...) Doe it make the tree more susceptible to diseases? And how about drought tolerance? If the bark inversion restricts flow of nutrients it must also restrict the flow of other beneficial chemicals, no? I'm just wondering about pros and cons and what to watch out for... This seems really interesting for potted citrus, maybe I don't need to chase that elusive flying dragon rootstock after all  ;D

I haven't seen any impact at all. I've had trees that are bark inverted every 4-5 years for 25 years now. They behave like grafted trees.

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
Thats interesting but its something only verry experienced people can do.If id try that myself ,i have no doubt that i would kill the tree .

That's why I stress the importance of sterilizing your tools, doing it on relatively dry days with no rain nor moisture in the air, no wind to spread contaminants around.  I haven't killed any tree with it so far.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:01 AM »
It would be nice if someone did and experiment. PT seedling rootstock, inverted bark, old PT interstock and whatever seedling you are trying to flower.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
Joe why did you make a gap in the bark & not use the entire piece?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
It is said somewhere that it is retractation.

For the people (like me) who cannot stand facebook, I made a pdf:
http://pafranceparamoteur.free.fr/datas/perso/Agrumes/Invers%20bark%20graft.pdf

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
OK, thanks Sylvain.

JoeReal

• View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »
Joe why did you make a gap in the bark & not use the entire piece?

The gap wasn't intentional. I have to do the tutorial pics, so I did it longer than necessary and the air was so dry that the ring of bark shrank a little, and that's why the gap. Normally it won't have the gap.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
OK, thanks.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »
Joe excellent tutorial.  It looks easier to do for beginners  than many types of grafts.  Tell me, what is Benny doing these days?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:32:43 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »
This is really neat.  I have a few calomondins I was planning on getting rid of, I think I will try this on one of them.  I have never successfully grafted anything, but I try occasionally.

And thank you, Sylvain, for posting a PDF.  I would never have been able to access it otherwise as I have no facebook account.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
Joe, I take it that the bark inversion technique is used mostly on seedling trees.  I guess it could also be used on grafted trees to keep them shorter.  I have a Red Clementine seedling with a trunk diameter of approximately 1/4 inch.  Can the bark inversion be done on a trunk that small?  I thinking of doing the inversion to reduce the time of flowering.