Author Topic: Some Mangosteens cant take the heat  (Read 1991 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Some Mangosteens cant take the heat
« on: November 02, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
Last November after a couple of days at around 44c my large leaf mangosteen was scorched losing half of its leaves.In spite of rain,humidity and irrigation it is starting to frazzled with modest temps of only 31c or 32c.Some mangosteen lines just dont like full sun on warm days.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Some Mangosteens cant take the heat
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
Still a damn fine looking tree!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
In the photo the ground looks pretty dry.  You say despite humidity, but what is the humidity?  What’s been the rainfall in the last weeks, how do you irrigate?  I remember reading a description of mangosteen leaves being like crisps,(potato chips), during a dry period in Cape Tribulation.  I’ve never seen that in my growing region.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 02:42:11 AM »
October was dry conditions with just about 95mm.Last December 2018 to March 2019 had around 2600mm by contrast with December alone having over 1000mm . Being close to the driest time of the year now, the 9am humidity today for example was 71% unlike most of the year when it is anchored at much higher values.
I have a watering system and the tree gets supplementary water a couple of times a week.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »
My standard small leafed mangosteen handles full sun way better and rarely gets watered.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
This guy in Taiwan says the same thing about mangosteen don't like extremely heat and cold.
He is standing in front of his friend's tree, I think it's about 20yrs old. For some reason, he said that lots of flowers but drop lots of fruits, about 300 of them. I love the glossy leaves of mangosteen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bmj3AcdI0g

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 03:48:05 AM »

My original point is that there seems to be quite a bit of difference between some line/varieties of mangosteens in how well they tolerate heat and direct sunlight.The first picture I showed was of my large leafed type that has soft leaves and burns easily.In the picture of fruit here the seedless pointed larger fruit are a borneo type that is a bit more acid than usual and the trees have small hard leaves and can handle sun well.The second common type is intermediate having reasonable tolerance of very hot days.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:00:24 AM »
For some reason I can't open the pictures, Mike. Just these last ones, the former ones open as usual.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Must have been how I saved those ones which was different.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
Mike T
How long did it take yr mangosteen to fruit? I planted a couple more in Yucatán this time they are in 90% shade

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
My big tree dragged its sorry ass and took about 7 years which is still faster than the average which seems to be 8 or 9 years. My smaller one was planted from a 'seed' taken from the first tree to fruit in a plantation but I don't know if that made a difference. Its a prodigy and took less than 5 years and was only 4 feet high at the time. Its the fastest I know of. I have another 10 foot high tree that 12 years old and it has never had fruit. The 3 trees were treated very differently and have different amounts of sunlight.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »
My big tree dragged its sorry ass and took about 7 years which is still faster than the average which seems to be 8 or 9 years. My smaller one was planted from a 'seed' taken from the first tree to fruit in a plantation but I don't know if that made a difference. Its a prodigy and took less than 5 years and was only 4 feet high at the time. Its the fastest I know of. I have another 10 foot high tree that 12 years old and it has never had fruit. The 3 trees were treated very differently and have different amounts of sunlight.

Thanks these are seedling so that was expected but I girdle a seedling canistel and it bloomed in two years. Going off subject, how long does it normally take for grafted
Santol
Longkong
Durian
Rambutan
Pulasan
To fruit?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 05:17:40 PM »
Asuuming good growing conditions and I will give a range.For seedlings santols are huge trees but can produce a 5 years. Longkong 10 to 20 years,durian 8 to 15 years, rambutan maybe 4 or 5,pulasan 3 t0 6.Some seedling durians never fruit and marcots/grafted trees fruit way faster for some. Seedlings of rambutan and pulasan might not turn out to be hermaphrodites so a few might be needed.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Mike T, JF-

This guy in taiwan said his durian trees flower in 2-4yrs from air layering.  He hand polinates them at night from 6-8pm.  airlayering durian grows faster and flower fasters than any method.  However, airlayering are less likely to succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5mylJjXrV4

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
My marcotted tree has lots of flowers now.Air layered/marcotted durians do flower fasted than grafted ones and my one flowered at 4 years. They are not vigorous trees and are comparatively spindly.Because they have a smaller root system with thinner roots they are more prone to being blown over and they need more frequent watering.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
I’ll try to find an airlayer durian. The ones I’ve order have all been grafted and the grafts have died.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk