Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 71484 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Mulberry Thread.
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
I just ate my first Mulberry last weekend. It was a long 3 inch Pakistan Berry.... Dear God this fruit is amazing with perfect sweetnss. literally Wipes the floor with the berry family...Blueberries, blackberries, Raspberries...easily! This fruit is easily a top 10 fruit and possibly a tie for top 5!!!!

It seems Mulberries are underated or just aren't well known throughout the U.S. like other good fruit out there. Can anyone give their top 5 Mulberries please? I hear the Morus Nigra's are the best varities becuase they pack a super punch of sweetness and acidity? I'm currently looking to purchase Pakistan, Black beauty, Persian, and Noir de Spain...and end up doing a Cocktail tree for all these varieties since they can get big.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
In my yard I grow wild ones which I assume are M. rubra but I guess they could be hybrids, and I have a 'Wellington' which has very good flavor and large berries, an 'Illinois Everbearing' which has slightly smaller berries but with excellent flavor and a long fruiting season (though not ever bearing). My trees are small and I only get a half gallon of berries off of all of them combined. I have some trees that I grew from seeds that someone gave me saying that the trees were small bush form with purple, sweet berries. Last year one of them fruited and the berries were large and white without any berry flavor, just sweet as sugar. Most of the collection is starting to flower now and one more of the seedlings is flowering so I will wait to see if it has white fruit, hopefully they will have berry flavor instead of just being sweet. So far this collection of mulberries has been a highlight of my garden, I would plant more of them if I had more room.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »
I'd take Pakistan over blueberry, but not over a blackberry or raspberry. Not enough acid. Never tried Persian etc. SD Botanical has Kaester and Persian Black is frequently available the the CRFG scion exchanges (got a cutting the just leafed out).

Anyway, good luck!!
Shane

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »
I dont think they are underrated.   I sell a ton of them year round, all types.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:22:25 AM »

Rob,

what's the name of the dwarf variety excalibur sells?

I just got one covered with fruits.

also got the green mulberry (if that's what it's called...I believe it's the same one that PIN sells labeled as Australian)..that is an excellent fruit btw.

also got the Himalayan mulberry from Treesnmore (which is like pakistan, but reddish, not purple) .... this is one of the best ones I've tasted so far.

so now I've got 8 varieties....(Himalayan, Australian/Green, Peruvian, Giant , white [alba], red [rubra], everbearing, and the dwarf from Excal.)

still need more... :D 

(Pakistan, and other long types....and some other everbearing trees are next on my list..like Illinois, or any others)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »
I have Pakistan, Himalayan and Australian.

Australian green has been my favorite, and finally started growing my own this year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »
Has anyone tried some of the Nigras? Black Beauty, Noir de Spain, Persian, Shrangla? I hear they have the best sweet/tart flavor .

I've tried Pakistan and Weeping Mulberry... Pakistan is just incredible...great size and and Sweet Flavor.....Weeping Mulberry taste like a Tommy Atkins of the Mulberries.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »
In my yard I grow wild ones which I assume are M. rubra but I guess they could be hybrids, and I have a 'Wellington' which has very good flavor and large berries, an 'Illinois Everbearing' which has slightly smaller berries but with excellent flavor and a long fruiting season (though not ever bearing). My trees are small and I only get a half gallon of berries off of all of them combined. I have some trees that I grew from seeds that someone gave me saying that the trees were small bush form with purple, sweet berries. Last year one of them fruited and the berries were large and white without any berry flavor, just sweet as sugar. Most of the collection is starting to flower now and one more of the seedlings is flowering so I will wait to see if it has white fruit, hopefully they will have berry flavor instead of just being sweet. So far this collection of mulberries has been a highlight of my garden, I would plant more of them if I had more room.
That sounds like Morus alba
It's very good addition dried and added to a trail mix/ nuts/muesli.
I only have seedlings of I think alba and nigra.The alba are massive trees trees for me. interesting fact is they have the fastest motion observed in biology.
The nigras are also pretty big but aren't as upright and can droop abit(if mine are nigras)
There was a weird one on my property and it looked grafted.  They grafted it strangely it was 2m straight bole and then the grafted part was weirdly upside down and it looked awesome like a weeping willow mulberry long branches all the way to the ground.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »

Rob,

also got the green mulberry (if that's what it's called...I believe it's the same one that PIN sells labeled as Australian)..that is an excellent fruit btw.

also got the Himalayan mulberry from Treesnmore (which is like pakistan, but reddish, not purple) .... this is one of the best ones I've tasted so far.

so now I've got 8 varieties....(Himalayan, Australian/Green, Peruvian, Giant , white [alba], red [rubra], everbearing, and the dwarf from Excal.)

(Pakistan, and other long types....and some other everbearing trees are next on my list..like Illinois, or any others)

The Dwarf you just got is the one they call Thai Dwarf.  They used to have a second dwarf I believe but not psoitive if and what the difference is and if they are still propagating it.

The Green is the Australian type although I believe Richard may have brought it back from Thailand years ago so unsure if it is the exact same as PINs.

If you dont have it, you need to get a Tice.  Its the best of the purple/blacks they have and a heavy producer.  They also have East Coast which is not as good as Tice in mine and most customer's opinions.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »
lol thanks for the info..

i just remembered I have a Tice tree planted out!

that makes 9 varieties.

(i've compared fruits and foliage from both trees, and looks like PIN has exact same one as the Green, labeled as Australian)

Rob,

The Dwarf you just got is the one they call Thai Dwarf.  They used to have a second dwarf I believe but not psoitive if and what the difference is and if they are still propagating it.

The Green is the Australian type although I believe Richard may have brought it back from Thailand years ago so unsure if it is the exact same as PINs.

If you dont have it, you need to get a Tice.  Its the best of the purple/blacks they have and a heavy producer.  They also have East Coast which is not as good as Tice in mine and most customer's opinions.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
How have I never tried Tice?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »

Maybe you did and didn't know it.  No 3 gal currently available. Only big 7 gal and larger.
- Rob

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »
lol thanks for the info..

i just remembered I have a Tice tree planted out!

that makes 9 varieties.

(i've compared fruits and foliage from both trees, and looks like PIN has exact same one as the Green, labeled as Australian)

Was gonna say I thought you had a Tice  ;)

DM

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
Can anyone comment on the different Morus Nigras out there? Black Beauty, Noir de spain, Black Persian?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »

Maybe you did and didn't know it.  No 3 gal currently available. Only big 7 gal and larger.

Nope.  You only offered me the green mulberry.  Why you hoarding the good stuff, Rob? :o

Definitely gonna try it some day though.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
Glad we have a Mulberry Thread. I was just thinking about these today - there are a few wild trees in walking distance to me that bear tasty fruits.
I agree that for the average person, at least in Tennessee, mulberries are not on their radar screen.

I really want to try to propagate these wild trees. I tried a couple years ago when I was even more ignorant than I am now, and they didn't root.
Any tips are welcome but I don't want to hijack this thread.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »

Nope.  You only offered me the green mulberry.  Why you hoarding the good stuff, Rob? :o

Definitely gonna try it some day though.

They should be on the trees for a little longer.  Get up here in the next couple weeks and you can turn yourself purple like a little kid.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:27:29 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »
lol...I always have to remember when I've been eating a bunch of mulberries, that it makes it look like you've been wearing lipstick the night before...you might get some funny stares if you go into public places after eating a bunch of them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 02:28:48 AM »
I have morus nigra, and black beauty which is a named variety of nigra. Both are amazing. The nigras have the perfect balance of acidity to offset the sweet. But its all about timing. I gorge myself in the last 2 weeks prior to them getting fully ripe, because they lose their tartness at the end of the season (which is too damed short). Nigra in my experiece ripen all all once so theres more fruit on one 10 ft tree then anyone can eat.... then you are waiting a year for the next opportunity to pig out.  I usually graze heavily for a couple weeks and make a few pies to share. Then... they're gone..  *sniff.. sob*
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
Glad we have a Mulberry Thread. I was just thinking about these today - there are a few wild trees in walking distance to me that bear tasty fruits.
I agree that for the average person, at least in Tennessee, mulberries are not on their radar screen.

I really want to try to propagate these wild trees. I tried a couple years ago when I was even more ignorant than I am now, and they didn't root.
Are you trying to propagate for particular attributes or just to get a plant of wild progeny?
Cauz they seed themselves like crazy and have fruit in like under 24months!

Another idea dig up seedlings that should be near wild trees and graft if there's bigger sweeter one you have your eye on.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
I have morus nigra, and black beauty which is a named variety of nigra. Both are amazing. The nigras have the perfect balance of acidity to offset the sweet. But its all about timing. I gorge myself in the last 2 weeks prior to them getting fully ripe, because they lose their tartness at the end of the season (which is too damed short). Nigra in my experiece ripen all all once so theres more fruit on one 10 ft tree then anyone can eat.... then you are waiting a year for the next opportunity to pig out.  I usually graze heavily for a couple weeks and make a few pies to share. Then... they're gone..  *sniff.. sob*

Finally...someone who has tasted some of the Morus Nigra Varieties!!!! This is exactly what I came here for... Thank you kind Sir!

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
Can anyone comment on the different Morus Nigras out there? Black Beauty, Noir de spain, Black Persian?

I have a weeping, a Pakistan, and a Persian, not sure the latin names, but all are fairly common in so cal nurseries.  I would rate them in that order as well with Persian being the best.  I'm debating getting a white one, Papaya tree nursery claims to have one with great flavor.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

I have a weeping, a Pakistan, and a Persian, not sure the latin names, but all are fairly common in so cal nurseries.  I would rate them in that order as well with Persian being the best.  I'm debating getting a white one, Papaya tree nursery claims to have one with great flavor.

The Pakistan has an incredible almost Rasperry sweetness to me, The Weeping Mulberry is one of the most bland tasting fruits I have ever tried....Can't wait to try one of the Nigras!!!!!   I ordered a special White Vareity Mulberry from Whitmans Farm that Lucille doesn't have listed on her Website, she says it's her best so i'll find out in a couple of years.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »

Are you trying to propagate for particular attributes or just to get a plant of wild progeny?
Cauz they seed themselves like crazy and have fruit in like under 24months!

Another idea dig up seedlings that should be near wild trees and graft if there's bigger sweeter one you have your eye on.

Honestly, I was just wanting a free mulberry tree! Never occurred to me to grow one from seed. Any special process?

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
Earlier this year I found one of those dwarf mulberries (Morus nigra) at a local garden center. I had ordered some from a catalog which haven't been delivered yet but I still purchased one just to see how well they grow and what they taste like. I didn't really believe the claims of how much they fruit but here it is in April and its loaded with fruit. They aren't the best mulberries I've ever tasted but they aren't bad either. Glad I have some more in the mail. I plan on planting some of them in the ground for summer fruit and keeping some in pots that get sheltered in the greenhouse for the winter so I get a longer fruiting season.