Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 621007 times)

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
Re: Waldi1
« Reply #575 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Hi Jay,
Thank's for welcoming me on the Forum,Had a little struggle to register but now I'm here.
Helmut

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #576 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
Welcome JD and waldi1 to the forum.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #577 on: April 03, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
Welcome all!!!!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Bienvenido Helmut! Are you german?

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
Helmut...

:) That's the great thing about being a fruit collector, any collector really, that you are never finished collecting.. ;). Just when you think I can't get anymore, I have no more room, I shouldn't... there is always that one elusive plant you wish you could have.

You'll find that most of us here are infected by the same bug.. ;D
It'll be great to learn from you about the plants you've had experience with, and hopefully see you add more to your collection..:)

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 04, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
Yes Felipe ,
Soy Aleman ( Bavarian from Munich),My Job brought me to Mexico 25 years ago.
Thanks'for welcoming me .
Helmut

waldi1

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 04, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Hi Green Thumb,
Most my experience come from trial and error, luckely I had little errors and failiers so far.
Helmut

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
Yes Felipe ,
Soy Aleman ( Bavarian from Munich),My Job brought me to Mexico 25 years ago.
Thanks'for welcoming me .
Helmut

Servus amigo,
I'm from Spain, but my job brought me to Munich..  ;D Nice place here, but not for growing tropicals ;)
As soon if I have to chance, I will either move back to Canary Islands or else somewhere in the tropics... souther Mexico would be a good choice  ::)

pFEEDme

• USA, CA/SoCal, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Hello there fellow gardeners! I've been an occasional lurker but decided to come out of hiding to join fellow tropical fruit lovers. I grew up in Gia Dinh, Vietnam, in a beautifully manicured oasis tended by my incomparable grandmother. Then I was uprooted to Orange County, CA and lived for many years without a garden; but could always look forward to visiting every summer to taste the fruits of her labor. Since the government claimed eminent domain over the majority of our land about 10 years ago, my personal orchard is gone. Now that I have my own home, I’m trying to recreate the nostalgic childhood with some of my favorite fruit trees and flowers, but also combine the wonderful diversity of America and beyond. Most of my plants are grafted gifts from relatives, so I sometime do not know their scientific names. I try to be water wise when possible, but I also like to push the limits with some plants that are out of my growing zone. I make a lot of mistakes along the way but gardening is all about trial and error.

My humble patch of dirt in zone 10b currently has
  • Fruits: Kohala longan, Bien Hoa Pomelo, White Dragon Fruits, 4-in-1 Asian pears, unknown pomegranate variety, Australian Atemoya, unknown guava, passion fruit, Alano chico sapote, 2 sweet orange trees @ least 40 year old from previous owner
  • Flowers: Coral red quince, white peach (fruiting),pink peach (fruiting), tri-color peach (flowering), pink camellia, rose standards and rose bushes in various colors, forsythia, ochna serrulata, hibiscus schizopetula, chinese wisteria, pink bellflower, anemones, poppies, calla lilies, lupines, orchids, irises, mandevilla, bougainvillea, clivia, fuchsias, lily of the valley, columbines, foxgloves, cosmos, kangaroo paws, orchid cacti, cyclamens, plumeria, lavender, cassias, mums, white and pink bleeding hearts, angel wing begonia, yesterday-today-tomorrow, varnished hebe,  and many more that I can't remember...
  • Leaf/stem trees/shrubs: 'Tsuma Gaki' and 'Aratama' japanese maples, horsetail plant, leucadendron 'Jester', Sticks on Fire euphorbia, jade plant, finger jade plant, aloes, pistachio chinensis, spider plant, curly willows, aeoniums, curry tree, dracaena
  • Vegetables/Herbs: the garden varieties typical of western and asian cuisines
I'm hoping to add the following...in the very near future: Barbados cherry, Carambola, Black pearl/diamond wax apple, Meiwa kumquat, mangoes - still researching which varieties, M. magnifica, Christmas cacti, Adeniums - just ordered seeds on ebay from Thailand, Vine jelly (sương sâm), Ochna integerrima - 12 petal kind - failed many attempts to grow from seeds.

Thanks for reading and hope to learn from you all soon!

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 06, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
Hi there, I found this site several times when searching for info. and had gradually started reading more of it in the last few weeks, so I thought I'd come out of the computer closet and free myself by declaring that yes, I'm another tropical fruit lover as well.  (And yes, I'm another Aussie, a Queenslander too!) :)

I'm trying my hand at growing many things at the moment, but no ultra-tropicals. I live in an elevated area (440m), and my climate is a cooler sub-tropical one. No frosts here, but with winter mins 6-10c overnight I do accumulate some chill hours. I only moved here 3 1/2 years ago, so all my plants are young - am getting my first decent crops off the older trees this year.

Some of the trees I have are Mango, Avocado, Lychee, Longan, Persimmon, various Citrus, Jakfruit, Wampee, Sapodilla, Sapote (Black, White, Green, Mammey), Atemoya, Cherimoya, Rollinia, Peach, Pomegranate, Fig, Guava, Passionfruit, various Eugenia,various Jaboticaba, Canistel, Wax Jambu, Apple, Papaya, Blueberry, Babaco and more. I'm finding my ripening times are about a 4 week lag behind Brisbane fruits.

I'd been growing fruit trees for about 16 years, but after I moved I started growing a wider range, so I'm having to re-learn everything again - lots of trial and error, and alot of fun. Guess learning never stops anyway. (Still make odd rookie errors occassionally - last month I was so excited  that my Sapodilla's had set fruit, I fertilised and had the whole lot aborted. I'm still kicking myself!) I take all the advice I can get, hence stretching to this forum. I hope I can make some positive contributions, but I'll probably be mainly asking for advice (apologies in advance if my Q's are too dumb and I shame myself.) Thanks for making this forum available, I'm happy to now being part of it, and look forward to 'meeting' you all.

Veronica

rusahlynn

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum... :)

Rusahlynn. :) I'm glad you found other Canadian Mango growers.. hopefully they'll be able to help. But keep us posted on how your little tree does..:) It would be nice to see it make it through..:) I grow some mangoes in pots as well, so if there is anything i can help with, just let me know.

JD, you've a great collection so far and I'm sure you'll probably be adding much more..:) Here's a good place to start your Jaboticaba reading http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4238.msg58386#msg58386...:)

Waldi1...welcome to the forum, retiring with more than a 100 different fruit trees sounds wonderful..:P

Thanks :) it is growing new leaves now...so I'm hoping they don't turn brown as well....I will keep you posted on how it does!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #586 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Veronica. Glad you boldly came out of lurker's computer closet.  What mangoes are you growing?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
Hi Harry, thanks for the welcome to this forum. :)  I'm sure it'll be of no surprise to you that I have Kensington Pride   ;) - also Alison Red KP(thanks BMc), Honey Gold(developed from KP, but different taste- very sweet and tangy), Kwan, King Thai (I think alternative name for Mahachanok), Florigon and Glen. I love our local varieties, but I'm looking forward to tasting the Asian and US varieties and see what the differences are (hoping I've made decent choices). Unfortunately I don't have room for more mango trees unless something extra-special comes along ;D.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Hi, folks. Have visited this site quite a few times since I started researching mangoes, and decided to sign up.
I recently got the mango bug (the flavors of my youth!) and planted Cogshall, Graham, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Neelam and Pickering. I used to have a mandarin tree that bore huge quantities of fruit, but it died some years ago. So I have also planted a Ponkan mandarin. And, since I had a protected spot to spare, an Emperor lychee.
It will be a few years before the fruit appear, so in the meantime, I keep returning to tropical fruit forums to read and wait ...
Full disclosure: I was born in Hyderabad, India (I left in 1986), by way of Dubai (United Arab Emirates), Mississauga (Canada) and Logan, Utah. This is my 10th year in St. Petersburg.
I am a copy editor/news designer for a news organization; my wife is a graphic designer. We have a son and a daughter; both are in college.
It has been hard work the past couple of months; in addition to the fruit trees, I also made changes to the landscaping. And, to make it more challenging, spread 15 cubic yards of mulch around the new plantings as well as around the existing shrubs.
Saleem

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum... :)

Rusahlynn. :) I'm glad you found other Canadian Mango growers.. hopefully they'll be able to help. But keep us posted on how your little tree does..:) It would be nice to see it make it through..:) I grow some mangoes in pots as well, so if there is anything i can help with, just let me know.

Thanks :) it is growing new leaves now...so I'm hoping they don't turn brown as well....I will keep you posted on how it does!!

Ohh that's great, it will make it..:) Sure, i have my fingers crossed for you..:)

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Hello everyone, I registered with the site because I have been a hobbyist of fruit trees for about 3 years now.  I looking forward to learning from others as I am still a novice when it comes to growing. 

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 14, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Hello everyone, I registered with the site because I have been a hobbyist of fruit trees for about 3 years now.  I looking forward to learning from others as I am still a novice when it comes to growing.

Kgnight welcome to the forums! What are you growing currently?

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 20, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Hi everyone,
this made one year that I am on this forum and I never even seen this topic sorry to everyone, as they say, better late than never.
So hello to everyone, I love this forum, because you learn a lot of things and there is always someone to help you at the right time.
thank you all very much.

anaxel.

cricketbird

• Tampa, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 22, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
Hey there,

I just purchased a house with quite a few fruiting trees, so I'm getting a crash course in tropical fruit!  So far, I've ID'd a kumquat, lychee, mango, mangosteen , and mandarin orange trees.  There are 3 others that seem like they might be fruiters that I haven't ID'd yet.  Looking forward to learning more about how to care for all of them and to maximize their fruit potential!

CB
Tampa, FL

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 22, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
Hey CB,

Congrats, but you might want to check your ID on the mangosteen tree because I've never heard of one being grown as far north as Tampa.
- David Antonio Garcia

Thesmartmama

• USA, California, Rancho Palos Verdes
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 24, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
Hi. I've been gardening - rooftop, containerized garden - for several years, but just moved to a 6 acre spread in Southern California. We have identified many of the trees, but not all of them, and I am getting a crash course in fruit trees. In my real life, I'm an environmental and consumer product safety attorney.

What we have id'ed so far (primarily from labels left on the trees) and several that I bought:

Avocado - 4 varieties (110 trees)
Orange (around 10 trees)
Lemon (at least 2 varieties) (6 trees)
Lime (1 keffir and 1 regular?)
Grapefruit (2)
Plum (at least 8)
Pluot (2)
Persimmon (8)
Persimmon - Coffeecake (2)
Cherry (Royal and Lee - 4 trees total)
Mulberry - Weeping (3)
Mulberry - Pakistani (1)
Mulberry - White (2)
Mulberry - Persian (1)
Canistel - Bruce
Gooseberry - Cape (4)
Apple - Fuji, Anna and others (15)
White Sapote - McDill (1)
Caper bush spineless (2) 
Allispice
Bay
Pummelo Hybrid
Cherimoya - Booth
Rio Grande Cherry
Mombin
Grumichama 92)
Jaboticaba (1)
Banan Misi Luki
Starfruit Superstar
Chinese Mulberry (2 - male and female)
Guava (4)
Apriums
Apricots (8)
Grapes (4)
Blueberries (12)
Raspberries (8)
Fig (6)
Jujubes (4)
Kiwi
Tangerines
(adding more)
Loquat (three)
Kumquat
Dragon Fruit
Prickly Pear
Roseapple

And a bunch of things that I can't identify yet. We have not yet made it through a fruiting season.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:49:04 PM by Thesmartmama »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #596 on: April 24, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
Welcome Smart Mama. I am going to overlook the fact that you are an attorney in real life.  (You have to watch these attorneys with large fruit collections).  I've checked your list twice and I am amazed to see no mangoes listed in this collection.  You obviously bought this property from a serious fruiter.  How old are your trees?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 24, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Hi Smartmama (cool name) and welcome. Send in pics of your unidentified trees so we can help you ID them, in a separate thread of course.

Thanks,
Jaime

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 24, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
Thesmartmama,

Very impressive list, and some nice acreage in RPV. I would say RPV is on the top list of best CA growing areas for subtropicals. How is the morning fog in your area? I know some parts of RPV and PV get clouded in during most of the morning hours. There are some sunnier micro climates in certain areas.

Here are some good additions that you don't have listed yet; Dragon Fruit, Prickly Pear, Mangoes, Lucuma, Tamarillo, and others.

Thesmartmama

• USA, California, Rancho Palos Verdes
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 24, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

@HMHausman The avocado trees are all very mature. We bought the land from a family - the dad had passed away - and the son only had limited information.  I'm not sure how to judge the age of a tree, but some of the avocados are huge - 25 to 30 feet. The citrus is all very mature.  Almost everything is fruiting.

@jez251 I will send pictures . . .

@nullzero We face the Port of LA, so the fog is relatively limited. But we are on a slope so we have differing climates - one area is called cold canyon because we get frost, but the orchard is east facing, no obstructions, and stays warm all year from what we can tell. We do have a couple of dragon fruit and prickly pear but not the others. I will check them out.