Author Topic: Eating Jaboticaba seeds  (Read 3067 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Eating Jaboticaba seeds
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:28 PM »
So... am i the only one that eats the seeds?  maybe its just the variety i have but the seeds are not unpleasant to me.  They are purple colored inside the seed if i bite them in half.

Am i going to die?
Should i stop eating the seeds?
I feel like there are conflicting reports on this.  Does anyone have the definitive answer?
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Eating Jaboticaba seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:13 AM »
there's a thread about this somewhere already...but in short...the seeds have nutritional value, but also contain certain compounds that can be medicinal, or even toxic.

In my experience, it's best to avoid consumption of Eugenia, Plinia, and Myrciaria seeds.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:42:47 AM »
Hi

You can eat the seeds, put in excess they cause constipation, it will be necessary to take laxative medicine to regulate bowel function!

I speak from experience!

;D

So... am i the only one that eats the seeds?  maybe its just the variety i have but the seeds are not unpleasant to me.  They are purple colored inside the seed if i bite them in half.

Am i going to die?
I feel like there are conflicting reports on this.  Does anyone have the definitive answer?
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Hi

You can eat the seeds, put in excess they cause constipation, it will be necessary to take laxative medicine to regulate bowel function!

I speak from experience!

;D
I'm glad I don't eat the seeds your statement makes my cheeks tighten at the thought ::) :P ;)

Am i going to die?

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »
Seeds have a lot of chemistry going on inside them and plants definitely do not want you to eat their babies.   However with that said, some have a hard indigestible coating, those can be eating if swallowed whole and will just come out the other end.   I'm not sure how hard a jabo seed is, if it's like a tomato seed, avoid it.   And don't ever chew up seeds and swallow them, that's bad.

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
Awhile back, I saw something post a pictures of a Jabo juicer so how did they overcame the issue with grinding the seeds into pieces when bended?   I am asking because that what I am thinking of doing, too, when I get some Jabo.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »
I think the jabo juice is made by pushing jabos through a strainer and not with a blender. Something like a grape press would probably work too, and would keep out the seeds and skins.
John

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
ive been very curious about this too.
ive been eating them, but i only get 2-3 at a time LOL...

They dont seem to taste bitter at all
i kinda enjoy them, and its protein (and much easier to deal with)

but since (i hope) i will be eating more, i want to figure this out.
so... a bit of research, makes it look to me, as they are not a problem.
Actually, they seem quite healthy.

it doesnt seem definitive, but it appears that as long as they are not ingested in quantity over a long period
it shouldnt be a problem.
This is a well-known fruit in Brazil and elsewhere. if there was a serious problem
i think it would have shown up in the data and cultural info.

Brad
---

-----------
." Boys swallow the seeds with the pulp, but, properly, the seeds should be discarded."

Toxicity

Regular, quantity consumption of the skins should be avoided because of the high tannin content,
 inasmuch as tannin is antinutrient and carcinogenic if intake is frequent and over a long period of time.
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html#Toxicity
----------

Comparative study of chemical and phenolic compositions of two species of jaboticaba: Myrciaria jaboticaba (Vell.) Berg and Myrciaria cauliflora
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996913003840
Seeds displayed the highest concentrations of ellagitannins and proanthocyanidins and the greatest AC

Phosphorus occurs at high levels in seeds in the form of phytin, a compound functioning as a phosphorus reservoir during germination

Altogether, these results show the importance of eating the whole jaboticaba, without discarding the skin or seeds,
 in order to make the most of its health benefits associated with the presence of polyphenols.

============

The seed oil had nearly the same constitution as the oil extracted from the skin in both genotypes
 and the major compounds were an unidentified phytosterol, palmitic, linoleic and oleic acids, and squalene.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0100-29452011000200026&script=sci_arttext&tlng=pt

===============
-------------