Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211559 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #450 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
FYI my son-in-law Keitt is is still holding fruit. He uses zero fertilizer.

Gotta love Keitt! ;D  Why doesn't PIN carry it anymore? :(

How does the Keitt compare with other late-season FL varieties?  Is it susceptible to disease here in humid FL?  I feel like many people on the forum dislike Keitt...but could be because there are new cultivars available that are exciting (ie. lemon zest, coconut cream, etc.)

Are the Keitt worth growing?  What are your opinions growing/eating them?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words and the motivation.

Mark in Texas, Carlos, Johnb51 and treefrog, you guys are leading me to the belief that the combination of 'Choquette,' 'Lula,' 'Kampong,' and 'Winter Mexican,' along with 'Kampong,' will fill the avocado void in South Florida. I believe 'Lula,' 'Choquette,' and 'WinterMexican,' have been covered/explored earlier on this Thread, but it's worth it to re-examine them again, so I will do so, thanks for the idea/recommendation.

Nice work. Now we just need a post at the end of every month reporting on the avos and mangoes from that month. :)

I like that idea.
BTW, thanks to my friend, I'm fortunate to still be enjoying his seedling 'Salavar' avocados that I'm still getting from him.
As far as mangos go, I'm still enjoying 'Rosigold' mangos in this month of February. This is after fertilizing the tree, each month of last year.

gunna429, 'Keitt' mango is one class act, it's in a class all by itself my friend, in my opinion, it's one of those 'must have' varieties.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:11:32 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Bradflorida, from day one you provided the/an answer to avocado 24/7. You were right on the money with your mention of the ‘Kampong’ avocado, thank you for that very valuable input. Carlos (CTMIAMI) recently found a professional article that just about confirms this. He is currently field testing the 'Kampong.' http://www.myavocadotrees.com

On the first page of this Thread, Carlos (CTMIAMI) mentioned that 'Mexicola' is not a quality fruit, but that he has experienced first hand with his own 'Mexicola' tree, that fruit will begin to ripen in early to middle of May, now that is in the middle of the S. FL Winter Avocado Void. And, although not a quality fruit, it does fill an important part of the void.

Tropicdude, you mentioned ‘Carla’ avocado as a possible contender to fill the S. Florida Winter Avocado Void, on the first page of this Thread, many thanks for that very valuable lead.

Right now, Edzone9 has reported that he’s trying to bring the ‘Carla’ avocado into the USA, for field testing in S. Florida. I am among those hoping that he succeeds in his important effort(s).

Carlos (CTMIAMI) mentioned in the first page of this Thread, that the reason the ‘Carla’ fills the winter void in the Dominican Republic is because they have elevations of 3K feet there. And, that if the ‘Carla’ were brought to the almost zero elevation in S. Florida, it would bear ripe fruit earlier than at the 2-3 K feet elevation in DR.

Now, Edzone9 has found an article that mentions that when there are no avocados in the Dominican Republic winter, ‘Carla’ is the only one in season with ripe avocado fruit. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9437.0

Perhaps the best way to shed light on this discrepancy, is to field test the ‘Carla’ in S. Florida, USA. And, as I’ve said earlier, once and for all determine the ripe fruit bearing behavior of the ‘Carla’ In S. Florida, USA (and elsewhere).

In the Updated “Avocado Watch–List,” the varieties ‘Kampong,’ ‘Carla’ and ‘Mexicola’ have been added as potential candidates to fill the S. Florida Winter Avocado Void.

Updated “Avocado Watch-List”
A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April, May and early June.
Key:
Underlined 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by a Forum Member(s).
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List.'
Potential 'SFL-WAV' cultivars:
Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).’
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’ and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kahaluu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Murashige.’
Group 5: ‘Gwen,’ ‘Santa-Ana-Hass,’ ‘Lamb-Hass,’ ‘Sir-Prize,’ ‘Holiday.'
Group 6: ‘Nabal,’ ‘Queen,’ 'Rockwood,' ‘Kampong,’ ‘Carla,’ ‘Mexicola’ …

Commentary: Which is a less quality avocado, the 'Mexicola' or the 'Choquette?' Also, a picture seems to be emerging, in order to insure that available avocado fruit is obtained March-June, these avocado cultivars have to be included: 'Monroe,' 'Lula,' 'Kampong,' and 'Mexicola. Others, are surely to follow, perhaps 'Carla' will be one of them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:30:45 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
Some points of interest (to me at least)...

I've read that mexicola is excellent and often eaten with its skin. One of the few varieties with edible skin and leaves (characteristic of pure mexican varieties). Perhaps some of the variability of the reviews has to do with those that eat the flesh alone vs. flesh with skin? I've recently grafted mexicola onto my Fuerte to try it out.

Nabal came up in my Hort class recently. According to G. Bender it was once somewhat popular but abandoned partly because of its extreme alternate bearing. We asked Dan at La Verne about Nabal and he used to carry them, but dropped them when the orders dropped below a few hundreds a year. Funny about Nabal, it always gets asked about but its really hard to find trees, even at the boutique nurseries.

Note added in proof ;)
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_14858001
"Mexicola, the original variety that originated in Pasadena around 1910, happens to be the hardiest tree around. This is a relatively small-fruited, highly flavored Mexican avocado with anise flavored edible skin. I have to confirm they are the best avocados I've ever eaten, much better than mexicola grande. Mexicola grande is a seedling of mexicola that was selected for bigger fruit size, but it's not as flavorful as the original mexicola," he said.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:04:28 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
We are now in the So. Florida avocado void. Mid March. I went by Lara Nursery today, and was pleasantly surprised to lean they have several Kanpong Avocado trees, same origin as mine, Williams Farm. I even got a fruit, as you can see is all covered with scab. There were only one fruit per tree so this tree holds fruit to the first week of March. Julian said it was very tasty, very good flavor and a firm consistency with hard skin.  I hope that this fruit matures so I can taste it.  I hate scab!!!!!! :(

They  have grafted Kampong avocados for sale. Also some other summer varieties that are new, like Hialeah Red. Of course a red skin avocado.
I was there to pick up two Cherimoyas a San Pablo and Fernandez.

From now on is when it gets hard to find avocados in So. Florida
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:24:53 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 12, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »
Shaneatwell, thank you for that report on the 'Mexicola,' the real 'Mexicola,' as there are several other offshoots, which after reading the informative article, seem somewhat less worthy than the 'Mexicola.' According to the article, in Santa Cruz, California, it's a quality fruit! I suppose the next step is to find out the details about its production and quality behaviour here in S. Florida. But, I'm sure glad that you are trying/checking it out where you're at, in San Diego, California.

Carlos (CTMIAMI), thank you so much for the notification. OK everybody, it's official, we heard it from Carlos: "From now on is when it gets hard to find avocados in So. Florida." So, welcome-to/we're-in The South Florida Avocado Void. Anybody who finds an avocado tree with avocados, or full of them, is a, no doubt about it, unique, great find.

Also, thank you Carlos for the info. that Lara Nursery has grafted 'Kampong' avocados. I'm seriously considering getting one. Surprisingly, I have a special spot on the yard for it.

edzone9, now that is the article about the 'Kampong' that I was familiar with. It's an important, informative article, no doubt about it. The more recently dated article about the 'Kampong' found by Carlos (CTMIAMI), just kind of impressed me with its more recent information, given by none other than Dr. Richard Campbell.

No doubt about it, we now have an arsenal of avocado cultivars to deal with the S. Florida Avocado Void: 'Monroe,' 'Lula,' 'Kampong,' 'Mexicola(?),' 'Doni,' and if you're brave enough, 'Choquette.' I can't help but wonder if someone had all these planted cultivars at an adult, well cared for stage, whether the S. FL Avocado Void will consistently be filled with avocados, year after year.

gunnar429 has mentioned that the 'Doni' avocado is watery. Well, I must say that I just love quality watery avocados in my chicken soup, along with some just squeezed lemon juice in it, to me, that is just pure happiness/comfort food.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:40:28 AM by LEOOEL »

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 12, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
My neighbor has avocado tree with fruit still on it...there are some on the pic you can see towards the top of the tree...I'll have to walk my dog by his house and try so if he is around so I can grab a couple...

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »
mikesid, yes, I see a couple on the tree. You have a keen eye, and that's a very nice picture of the avocado tree. The owner of that tree is also entering the S. Florida Avocado Void.

If we had many people doing the same as you, I'm sure that not only would we find a new avocado variety that fills the S. FL Avocado Void, but that more than one avocado variety would be found; take care mikesid, thanks and be well.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
On the next few days I will start a separate thread on the Kampong avocado and  Buck 3 avocado.
The Buck 3,  fruit starts picking this week and could last for a few weeks. This truly fills the void. The down side is that it is patented. http://www.google.com/patents/USPP23573. Every one that I have spoken with that have tasted it says its great.
I got 3 fruits yesterday and did dry weight on one and came in at a respectable 27% very high for Florida. The seed showed this fruit could have stayed on the tree a few more weeks.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »

gunnar429 has mentioned that the 'Doni' avocado is watery. Well, I must say that I just love quality watery avocados in my chicken soup, along with some just squeezed lemon juice in it, to me, that is just pure happiness/comfort food.

I like watery avocados. I like all Florida avocados. As a matter of loyalty to local Florida growers  I never buy imported Mexican Hass or California. I can't wait until my Brogdon and Lula avocados kick in producing. I would plant others if I had the room. But local Florida avocados are always sold at nice prices so I will buy watery and others throughout the year. I like the green Dominican avocados and buy them from time to time
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:35:23 AM by zands »

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
mikesid, yes, I see a couple on the tree. You have a keen eye, and that's a very nice picture of the avocado tree. The owner of that tree is also entering the S. Florida Avocado Void.

If we had many people doing the same as you, I'm sure that not only would we find a new avocado variety that fills the S. FL Avocado Void, but that more than one avocado variety would be found; take care mikesid, thanks and be well.
when i drove by the tree again I noticed at least 20 fruits on the tree..nobody has been around so I can't  investigate further yet...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »
On the next few days I will start a separate thread on the Kampong avocado and  Buck 3 avocado.
The Buck 3,  fruit starts picking this week and could last for a few weeks. This truly fills the void. The down side is that it is patented. http://www.google.com/patents/USPP23573. Every one that I have spoken with that have tasted it says its great.
I got 3 fruits yesterday and did dry weight on one and came in at a respectable 27% very high for Florida. The seed showed this fruit could have stayed on the tree a few more weeks.

(I mean to tell you) CARLOS IS AWESOME!!! ;D ;D ;D
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »

when i drove by the tree again I noticed at least 20 fruits on the tree..nobody has been around so I can't  investigate further yet...
Can you take clearer picture or closer? I like to see the edge of a leaf and a closer picture of the fruit. If you can.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »
Just wanted to share a tidbit of information regarding the "Carla"  this variety is actually a "Margarida" from Brazil.  it was brought over by some General named Carlos,  ( calling Dr Freud ) he renamed it Carla, and got it patented.    :-\ 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
Very interesting!!!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2014, 11:42:51 PM »

(I mean to tell you) CARLOS IS AWESOME!!! ;D ;D ;D

I second (third...) that, Carlos is the man

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
Carlos, is the Wilson popenoe avocado on your website the same as the Wilson avocado on PIN's variety viewer.  I was told they don't carry it despite having it on the website.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »
Carlos, is the Wilson popenoe avocado on your website the same as the Wilson avocado on PIN's variety viewer.  I was told they don't carry it despite having it on the website.
My Wilson is from Fairchild Williams farm. That is the authentic. I think Pine Island discontinued.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »

Wow, 20 fruits on that yet growing, young, smallish tree! That may be an important, relevant find, nice! Very interesting Mikesid!

In a tactful manner, it would be very helpful if you could find out if it's a seedling or a grafted tree. And, if it's grafted, what variety/cultivar. If as Carlos requested, you can provide a close up photo(s) of a leaf and fruit, perhaps we can get closer to solving this very interesting and exciting identity riddle/mystery.

Who knows, maybe this is the Holy Grail mango variety that we've been looking for to fill the South Florida Avocado Void.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
My Wilson is from Fairchild Williams farm. That is the authentic. I think Pine Island discontinued.

Does Fairchild Farm sell budwood?  Do you have to request it?  Do you have to be a nursery?  Thanks!

Carlos, what are your thoughts on the wilson?
~Jeff

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 17, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
I tasted it long time ago. It is still a commercial cultivar in some countries. I got some bud wood a few weeks ago but I don't think they are taking, very rare for me to have 100 failure, but that's is what it looks like.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 17, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

Does Fairchild Farm sell budwood?  Do you have to request it?  Do you have to be a nursery?  Thanks!

I have a Wilson popenoe avocado tree from Excalibur Fruit Trees. You can have budwood, just PM me.
Carlos, what are your thoughts on the wilson?

Gunnar, I have a Wilson popenoe avocado tree from Excalibur Fruit Trees. You can have budwood, just PM me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:27:35 PM by FLnative »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
I tasted it long time ago. It is still a commercial cultivar in some countries. I got some bud wood a few weeks ago but I don't think they are taking, very rare for me to have 100% failure, but that's is what it looks like.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com