Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211750 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »
If I can get bud wood I can Top work a tree in So. Florida to see how it does. December-February would be the time.

I have tried yamagata and kona avocado they are pretty average. I have a kona sandwich between my sir prize and holiday, folk in SoCal love sharwil. I prefer Catalina and choquette.

Don't know what you mean by Kona avocado? There is no cultivar here with that name. I have Choquette here and it's one of the poorest quality wise. As far as commercial types Sharwil in my opinion is a whole lot better tasting than Hass. I consider Hass to be very mediocre quality in the taste department. Another good thing about Sharwil is that the fruits can stay on the tree for very long time even when fully ripe. If you plant Sharwil next to a Green Gold you will get excellent pollination and great fruit set. Green Gold is very similar quality to Sharwil, just slightly different seasons but with big overlap.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
Just saying to CT and LEEOLEL -------  Got a 3 gallon Pine Island Hass (must be California Hass?) at my nearby Home Depot. I am going to give it the best nutrition to make it overcome scabbing etc. Got a great beautiful upward extended 7 gallon lula avocado from cookie monster.

Zands. My understanding of scab is a fungus that is air born floats in the air. Not much can be done by way of nutrition. I have said before not sure where in this forum, that scab may be more prevalent in places with a lot of avocado trees.   Humidity has a lot to do with it. A little copper, specially the new solutions would come in handy. I would not say to someone don't plant a Lula or Monroe because of scab, Just if your area is susceptible you need to do something, to my knowledge nutrition alone will not do it. My trees are well feed and I have gotten attacked in the last two years.  Is not just a cosmetic issue, fruit with scab will begin dropping . One row of Monroe was not spayed early this year and I have hundreds of egg size fruit on the ground caused by the scab.

Well considering what is happening with Laurel Wilt, scab is a non-event

Thanks for all that Carlos! I was unaware of that scab problem for Lula and others. Consumers might reject such fruits so you like Monroe better, also Monroe is larger. Now that I think about it I have eaten lula fruits with scab and they are still good fruit. Scab hurts fruit production but not taste.

I have a colloidal silver generator and will be trying this silver out, versus fungal problems such as the leaf rust I get on my small fig trees. I guess Lula scab too when it rears it's ugly head

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
If I can get bud wood I can Top work a tree in So. Florida to see how it does. December-February would be the time.

I have tried yamagata and kona avocado they are pretty average. I have a kona sandwich between my sir prize and holiday, folk in SoCal love sharwil. I prefer Catalina and choquette.

Don't know what you mean by Kona avocado? There is no cultivar here with that name. I have Choquette here and it's one of the poorest quality wise. As far as commercial types Sharwil in my opinion is a whole lot better tasting than Hass. I consider Hass to be very mediocre quality in the taste department. Another good thing about Sharwil is that the fruits can stay on the tree for very long time even when fully ripe. If you plant Sharwil next to a Green Gold you will get excellent pollination and great fruit set. Green Gold is very similar quality to Sharwil, just slightly different seasons but with big overlap.

You must be eating a lot of Chilean Hass because in my opinion they cant compare. The choquette and catalina I'm talking about are from Homestead, FL, we get them during their season. The choquette grown here in California are not very good. I have not had the Gold Green yet but Julie Frink tell me its way too oily for her taste. We call the Shawil Kona.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »
Choquette season corresponds with FL dry season, so perhaps this is why its taste has high marks. While the Hawaii Choquettes probably get 2-3 times more moisture during fruit development and ripening.

I would think CA avocados will always taste better on average vs Hawaii (minus the Kona side) or Florida. Since the water can be controlled which in theory will lead to more concentrated flavor and higher oil content.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
Zands you said:

I have a colloidal silver generator and will be trying this silver out, versus fungal problems such as the leaf rust I get on my small fig trees. I guess Lula scab too when it rears it's ugly head

Excuse my ignorance, what do you do with the colloidal silver generator, sounds like science fiction?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
Zands you said:

Excuse my ignorance, what do you do with the colloidal silver generator, sounds like science fiction?

Its a device used to make colloidal silver using electric currents. Not as complex as one would think.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2013, 01:07:01 AM »
Mark in Texas, very good informative video in Hawaii. The Sharwil avocado tree in the video is at 1,300 feet, ripens from December to May, of excellent quality and the owner calls it the best avocado in the world! Now that's what I call an informative video, thanks so much for posting it Mark.

I'm so glad that Nullzero has a Sharwil avocado tree. As far as I know, he's the only person in Florida that has it. Its intriguing and exciting to wait and learn how this avocado cultivar will behave in S. Florida, specially the time of year for fruit riping, quantity of production and quality; Nullzero, Godspeed and best wishes for success.

Due to the information that has been gathered so far, Sharwil is an important contender, and still in the running, as a potential candidate to fill the 'South-Florida-Winter-Acovado-Void' ('SFWAV').

Oscar, I like the fact that the Sharwil can grow large, although I hope Mark can keep it smaller as he prefers, thanks for the info.
Also, now that you mention it, although I do like the Hass avocados from my tree, I don't remember going crazy over it either. Nevertheless, this tree and its fruit are, for me, a keeper.

Carlos, as you mentioned, I hope you can get Sharwil budwood from someone (Mark-In-Texas, Nullzero or others) during the months of December-February that you specified, in order to top work a tree, great idea and great effort. What comes to mind as a good method of shipping, is next-day-overnight-delivery, to ensure the quality/potency of the budwood at the time of delivery. If the Sharwil budwood cannot be delivered to you in person, I volunteer to take care of S&H.

Also, I have the Hass avocado. Whether it's a California or Florida Hass, as Zands calls it, I don't know. It's a young tree and it's full of full sized, unripe avocados right now.
Carlos, if you want to pass by and take a look at it, please let me know.

JF, since you say the Yamagata has a pretty average taste, perhaps it has a lot to do with the location where this variety is grown, thanks for the info.

Colloidal silver generator? Yeah, it does sound like Sci-Fi (LOL). I also haven't heard about it, but it sure sounds great.  ;D (Sorry, couldn't help it)

Thank you everybody involved, for all the great information, it's very helpful in this endeavor and very appreciated, please keep it coming.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:28:09 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:41 AM »

You must be eating a lot of Chilean Hass because in my opinion they cant compare. The choquette and catalina I'm talking about are from Homestead, FL, we get them during their season. The choquette grown here in California are not very good. I have not had the Gold Green yet but Julie Frink tell me its way too oily for her taste. We call the Shawil Kona.

I've never had Chilean Hass, although i saw them growing everywhere in Chile, I'm talking  strictly about California Hass, really poor quality compared to what we have here. I've lived in California as long as i've lived here, eaten lots and lots of avocados in both places.  I'm a very big avo fanatic, have to have one or two every day. Also worked in a produce store in California and got to taste a lot of different cultivars there. Hawaii is definitely tops when it comes to avocados. Florida may beat us when it comes to mangos but both California and Florida pale in comparison to avocados found here. They are not only very high quality, but omnipresent, and a lot cheaper than in the lower 48. Also avocados grow wild here. There are many trees growing wild right along the roads = free for the picking.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
Zands you said:

Colloidal silver is supposed to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I know my figs will be getting leaf rust as we get more rain. I will test it on them. Silver is next to copper (a known anti-fungal) in the periodic table and both are in the same grouping as gold. So maybe silver can do some of what copper does but more gently and not harmful to people who spray it, accumulating in the orchards soil to the point where some orchards have to be abandoned
http://silverpuppy.com/  colloidal silver generator

H2O2 should be a good anti-fungal. I will try that one too in low concentrations. You can buy 35% food grade H2O2 at reasonable prices when you buy a gallon on up. The stuff in the drugstore is 3%

How much Hydrogen Peroxide? - Hydroponic Growing - Grasscity Forums
forum.grasscity.com › ... › Hydroponic Growing‎
Aug 10, 2010 - I have a DWC system and am wondering how much Hydrogen Peroxide I should use, per gallon of water. I also need to know what strength of ...
Using Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat and Prevent Root Rot ...
Watering with H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) - Advanced Growing ...
How much 35% H2O2 do I use per litre or gallon. - Indoor ...
Dec 1, 2010
May 23, 2010
Oct 2, 2007
Using Hydrogen Peroxide In A Hydroponics System | Hydroponic ...
www.modularhydro.com › Resource Library › Hydroponic Articles‎
Three percent hydrogen peroxide may be added at up to three milliliters per liter (2 1/2 teaspoons per gallon), but it is recommended that you start at a lower ...

Ways to use Hydrogen Peroxide in the Garden
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:13:32 AM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
Carlos, as you mentioned, I hope you can get Sharwil budwood from someone (Mark-In-Texas, Nullzero or others) during the months of December-February that you specified, in order to top work a tree, great idea and great effort. What comes to mind as a good method of shipping, is next-day-overnight-delivery, to ensure the quality/potency of the budwood at the time of delivery. If the Sharwil budwood cannot be delivered to you in person, I volunteer to take care of S&H.

I have heard that budwood stays good if refrigerated for up to 6 weeks.  I had some 6 week old sticks and they still looked like they would have done fine.  I eventually sent them to a friend.  Overnight is not a necessary expense especially during the cooler months.  FedX will do or USPS Priority mail.  I'd be glad to share some wood with Carlos in late winter.  As long as I don't continue to napalm my cados with stuff like Kelthane they'll have some leaves!  Gonna dump that nasty stuff.   I have learned to test any kind of pesticide, organic or synthetic, on a flagged branch first that contains both very young leaves and older hardened off leaves.  Just got in THE silver bullet miticide - Forbid4F.  1/8 tsp/gallon!

Good luck,
Mark

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've never had Chilean Hass, although i saw them growing everywhere in Chile, I'm talking  strictly about California Hass, really poor quality compared to what we have here. I've lived in California as long as i've lived here, eaten lots and lots of avocados in both places.  I'm a very big avo fanatic, have to have one or two every day. Also worked in a produce store in California and got to taste a lot of different cultivars there. Hawaii is definitely tops when it comes to avocados. Florida may beat us when it comes to mangos but both California and Florida pale in comparison to avocados found here. They are not only very high quality, but omnipresent, and a lot cheaper than in the lower 48. Also avocados grow wild here. There are many trees growing wild right along the roads = free for the picking.
[/quote]

What's the big deal if they grow wild if no body wants them.... and I'm sorry Oscar California avocado are as well known ,world wide, as Florida mangos.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »

I have heard that budwood stays good if refrigerated for up to 6 weeks.  I had some 6 week old sticks and they still looked like they would have done fine.  I eventually sent them to a friend.  Overnight is not a necessary expense especially during the cooler months.  FedX will do or USPS Priority mail.  I'd be glad to share some wood with Carlos in late winter.  As long as I don't continue to napalm my cados with stuff like Kelthane they'll have some leaves!  Gonna dump that nasty stuff.   I have learned to test any kind of pesticide, organic or synthetic, on a flagged branch first that contains both very young leaves and older hardened off leaves.  Just got in THE silver bullet miticide - Forbid4F.  1/8 tsp/gallon!

Good luck,
Mark

I had Jan Boyce bud wood in the refrigerator for 8 weeks and It worked fine. I just gave the tree to a local  Forum member. Is better to graft fresh when ever possibly but 3 day shipping is fine.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2013, 02:38:03 AM »
Thank you Carlos for breaking the ice, I've been wanting to include the 'Jan Boyce' avocado cultivar that I got from you in the 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida-Winter Avocado Void) list.

This is the updated avocado cultivar list that could fill the 'SFL-WAV,' (in decending order of probability for success; with 1 being highest; this is a best estimate, based on gathered information so far; input from Forum members as to the order of the list is very much welcomed and encouraged):

1   Sharwil
2   Jan Boyce
3   Fuerte
4   Yamagata

From Carlos' web page: http://www.myavocadotrees.com
(Comment No. 1)   The University of California says it has excellent flavor in April.
(Comment No. 2)   “I hope this variety could fill our void for avocado fruit in Februry to March with quality fruit. At least that is the idea.”

Jan Boyce avocado comments (a bit long but good information, in my opinion)

Jan Boyce is the “connoisseur’s avocado” claims Julie Frink, and she should know. Ms. Frink is the curator of the avocado variety collection at the South Coast Research Center in Irvine, the home of one of the largest avocado collections in the country, and she sometimes admits that the J.B. is her favorite avocado.  The Jan Boyce is richly flavored and endowed with an extremely small seed. The only possible complaint is that its thin skin is somewhat difficult to peel. Thank God for spoons!
Our experience with the Jan Boyce up here in chilly Santa Cruz County has been exciting. It is a vigorous tree, blooms late (after the frosts are over), and it sets fruit readily. Expect the fruit to be ripe by the end of winter in Southern California, July on the Central Coast.

Posted by Karly30 9b- Los Angeles area (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:32
If you had room for just one Avocado, what would you choose? I would like something I can keep on the smaller side. I have a small hillside i could plant it in, so it would have decent drainage. I was thinking of Gwen, but now I'm reading talk of many other hard to find varieties and am unsure.

Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 17:52
Jan Boyce. Hand's down.
Patty S.

RE: Just one Avocado      
•   Posted by Karly30 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 18:20
Tell me more Patty!

•   Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 21:20
Jan Boyce has been deemed the "best of the best" by Julie Frink, who is the curator of the Avocado Variety Collection at the South Coast Research Center in Irvine, the home  of one of the largest avocado collections in the country. Julie has dubbed this avocado the "connoisseur's avocado" and for good reason. It is just superlative, smooth, rich, nutty, firm, delicious. Plus, the tree is nice and vigorous. My teeny, tiny Jan Boyce I planted last year has at least tripled in size, and it is VERY happy up on my slope. I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow. It was just a stick when I planted it, and I thought, "oh brother, it will never make it through the winter." I think I planted it in Nov. of 2010, actually, not the best time to plant an avocado. It didn't give a hoot, and it is just growing great guns. Here are some great articles for you to read about the Jan Boyce, plus, I'll give you a link to a source that was just shared by NorCalNiko on our forum in another recent thread.
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/nov/24/home/hm-avocado24
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/VarietyList/JanBoyce.html
The only negative, if you can call it one, is they do not peel easily. but a spoon will work just fine!
Patty S.

•   Posted by Karly30 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 23:10
My only concern is that Jan Boyce is supposed to be a monster. Can I keep it to a reasonable size without losing all the fruit? What if I had room for jan Boyce and a second smaller one? What would you get to extend the season out?

•   Posted by NorCalNiko USDA 9 Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 17:40
I had a similar issue. I'm planting a Jan Boyce with a Sharwil, which is a much smaller variety. It's supposed to be excellent as well, though I've never tasted one... The Sharwil isn't listed on the Epicenter site, but they have them. Just request one.

Story by Jillian Laurel Steinberger
For the backyard grower, Epicenter’s Ellen Baker suggests the variety called Jan Boyce. It’s from a seedling that was grown at UC Riverside, where she says some consider it to be the best avocado they ever tasted. “It has a rich flavor, and is perfect for a home grower who wants a beautiful, unusual, delicious avocado with an immediate ripening time. You won’t buy it at the store because it doesn’t ship well. When you cut it open it makes you laugh, because the seed is so small.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:31:44 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What's the big deal if they grow wild if no body wants them.... and I'm sorry Oscar California avocado are as well known ,world wide, as Florida mangos.
[/quote]

Who told you nobody wants them? :o The main point i was trying to make with avocados  growing wild here was that this is an ideal growing area for avocados, unlike California where they will get parched if you miss one watering and where water is extremely expensive. The main reason California avocados are so well known is not their quality, it is your avocado marketing association: CALAVO, which has been very good at restricting entry of avocados from Hawaii and elsewhere.
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I really don't know why they are restricting avocado from Hawaii, an integral part of the USA. Here most of our Hass is from Mexico, Chile and soon Peru, we never see California Hass. Probably a price issue, since oversea growers don't have to comply with all the regulation, employment issues, liability, Workers Comp US growers have to comply On the West Indies varieties we get tons of fruit in January to April form the Dominican Republic.
Could it be the since Hawaii is so expensive the cost are not competitive?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
The main reason California avocados are so well known is not their quality, it is your avocado marketing association: CALAVO, which has been very good at restricting entry of avocados from Hawaii and elsewhere.

Don't know if you saw my comment about CALAVO's bully techniques....you are spot on.  They are a powerful lobbying group.  I once was contemplating  seriously of going into the avocado biz commercially upon retirement.....IF I had stayed in south Texas (which I didn't) and upon talking to a CALAVO admin staff about marketing, selling to them, demand, etc. I got this weird response, "you can't do that.   That's illegal."   I'm dead serious, and so was she.  Now that's what I call a strangehold such that the staff have been programmed to believe they're the only game in town.

Mark

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Is there anybody else out there that agrees with Fruitlovers about the greatness of the Hawaiian avocadoes???

California avocadoes are famous because they are just better than any of the other crap that comes out of any other state including Hawaii. I tried a few from Hawaii and one of them were totally crap. The others were ok. Nothing that would make one say, they are the best. The Hass, Fuerte, and Sir Prize are one of the best varieties that I have tasted from  JF's backyard.

CTMiami, give me a few days and I will hook you up with some nice California Hass Avos.

JF keep those nice California avocadoes coming.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
Is there anybody else out there that agrees with Fruitlovers about the greatness of the Hawaiian avocadoes???

California avocadoes are famous because they are just better than any of the other crap that comes out of any other state including Hawaii. I tried a few from Hawaii and one of them were totally crap. The others were ok. Nothing that would make one say, they are the best. The Hass, Fuerte, and Sir Prize are one of the best varieties that I have tasted from  JF's backyard.

CTMiami, give me a few days and I will hook you up with some nice California Hass Avos.

Sounds like fruitlovers has lived in both places for an extended time. If you've tried a fruit from a place shipped, it may not be as good as locally right there fresh.

I first tried asian fruits in Geneva, my father in law brought them back with him on a trip from Thailand. Almost all of them I didn't care for (rambutan, mangosteen, longan) only seemed to like langsat. After visiting Malaysia in person, I found I loved all the fruits especially Pulasan and Durian. In fact in Malaysia langsat was one that I didn't seem to care to buy as it just seemed ordinary.

Overall I've noticed people seem to like what they are used to. If you ask an Indian person what the best mango varieties are, they'll be all Indian cultivars. Same with Florida, Thai, Middle-East...etc.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
Cuban 007. I still remember that bag you brought with 4-5 California Hass from Cosco, Some of the best avocados I ever had. 
I dream often of JF  Fuerte and Sir Prize I tasted in December. California can produce some of the best avocados in the world. That is not to say that Hawaii or Florida or Chile etc, con not produce good fruit.  When they are tree ready it make a big difference and fruit traveling thousands of miles some times is picked too early to allow for the trip. Thus the lesser quality. I'm sure If you taste Hass from a persons yard from Chile allowed to mature in the tree would taste better than store bought fruit.

Like comparison taste test of different varieties with different maturities all tasted on the same day. Well one variety or two or more are suffering. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:54:36 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Droshi, I am not a homer, like some others that are blinded by the loyalty of where they reside. Clearly, Florida has the best mangoes in the U.S. I have spoken to some Floridians and they admit the superiority of the avocado from California. But Hawaiian avocadoes???? They only person beating that drum is Oscar. The way he refers to California avocadoes is more a sign of jealousy and envy than actual substance to his ill advised comment that California avocadoes are crap, and that their popularity is only due to marketing.

Sounds like fruitlovers has lived in both places for an extended time. If you've tried a fruit from a place shipped, it may not be as good as locally right there fresh.

I first tried asian fruits in Geneva, my father in law brought them back with him on a trip from Thailand. Almost all of them I didn't care for (rambutan, mangosteen, longan) only seemed to like langsat. After visiting Malaysia in person, I found I loved all the fruits especially Pulasan and Durian. In fact in Malaysia langsat was one that I didn't seem to care to buy as it just seemed ordinary.

Overall I've noticed people seem to like what they are used to. If you ask an Indian person what the best mango varieties are, they'll be all Indian cultivars. Same with Florida, Thai, Middle-East...etc.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
The only way to know whether any of the avocado cultivars on the 'List' will fill the 'SFL-WAV,'  is to grow them here in South Florida.

Two of the avocado cultivars on the 'List' are already here in S. Florida and are being grown by Forum members, the other two are not.

This is where things stand right now:

1   Sharwil (Nullzero, in S. Florida, has said he has one tree. It seems a good idea if someone else (i.e. Carlos...) also had one as a 'back-up.')
2   Jan Boyce (CTMIAMI has it. And, now I have it also, thanks to Carlos)
3   Fuerte (I don't know of anyone in S. Florida who has this cultivar, which is of incredible quality; Some calls/research needs to be done to see what can be found.)
4   Yamagata (I don't know of anyone in S. Florida who has this cultivar either, also of incredible quality; Some calls/research also need to be done in order to find it.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:39:04 PM by LEOOEL »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
Droshi, I am not a homer, like some others that are blinded by the loyalty of where they reside. Clearly, Florida has the best mangoes in the U.S. I have spoken to some Floridians and they admit the superiority of the avocado from California. But Hawaiian avocadoes???? They only person beating that drum is Oscar. The way he refers to California avocadoes is more a sign of jealousy and envy than actual substance to his ill advised comment that California avocadoes are crap, and that their popularity is only due to marketing.

[.
[/quote]

Cuban007, that's a regrettable statement from someone I consider one of the best sources of the forum....I don't understand why Oscar is on an anti-California avocado crusade, he even blames the California Avocado Society.

Droshi, we grow all those Hawaiian avocados in Socal, I grow Kona Sharwil, but unfortunately I haven't seen one crack our top ten list.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
The only way to know whether any of the avocado cultivars on the 'List' will fill the 'SFL-WAV,'  is to grow them here in South Florida.

Two of the avocado cultivars on the 'List' are already here in S. Florida and are being grown by Forum members, the other two are not.

1   Sharwil (Nullzero, in S. Florida, has said he has one tree. It seems a good idea if someone else (i.e. Carlos...) also had one as a 'back-up.')
3   Fuerte (I don't know of anyone in S. Florida who has this cultivar, which is of incredible quality; Some calls/research needs to be done to see what can be found.)
4   Yamagata (I don't know of anyone in S. Florida who has this cultivar either, also of incredible quality; Some calls/research also need to be done in order to find it.)

1. Nullzero is in California, not Florida.
3. I have Fuerte Thanks to a Forum member. Its growing well. See my web.
4. I have Yamagata growing. Got them from Top Tropical took 3 trees, two died. Typical.

Actually the only thing I'm missing from the Hawaiians is the Sharwill and Fujikawa.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:03:20 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

1. Nullzero is in California, not Florida.
3. I have Fuerte Thanks to a Forum member. Its growing well. See my web.
4. I have Yamagata growing. Got them from Top Tropical took 3 trees, two died. Typical.

Actually the only thing I'm missing from the Hawaiians is the Sharwill and Fujikawa.

Carlos, I'll bring you some scions of Sharwil and Ibrahim Cuban California avocado, the best one I've had this year.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »
Not saying I agree which state grows the best avocados....just stating my observation that home grown truly does taste better, but maybe more because you're living there than because it's actually better. Or maybe it's just what do you prefer in an avocado? I think California avocados tend to be a bit more oily due to the more arid climate no? Maybe that's what most people prefer.